Cuirassier vetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuirassier vetting

Col. John Elting in his book “Swords around a Throne” states that a certain French cuirassier regiment vetted its newly assigned officers by the following test:

“Each one was given three horses, 3 bottles of champagne, and 3 'willing girls' and 3 hours to kill the champagne, cover the girls and ride a 20-mile course.
    Of course you could draw up your own schedule of events" :-)”

Now: how would you tackle this Napoleonic cuirassier's equivalent of a pentathlon test?

Or perhaps you can provide us with some historical testimonies how this feat was performed

BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

D* it -

I know about girls and champaign, but how long does it take to ride 20 miles, if you can change horses twice
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

I hate Champagne and never rode any horse .

But I could manage the girls if necesary for my career ...
      "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

For now, and untill I get an answer from MS -

I suggest we pool our resources, get an entraîneur, span six horses in front of it, and load it with the girls and the champaign.

That should give us enough time to accomplish this assignment

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
          D* it -

I know about girls and champaign, but how long does it take to ride 20 miles, if you can change horses twice
          Two hours I would say.

My initial common sense solution to the trial would be to go heavy on the physical parts first (undecided yet whether to start with the riding or the girls)
          and concentrate on the champagne at a later stage of the trial.

I can think of something like:
          · At the start: Girl1- Girl2 - (approximately 30 minutes)
          · cross country ride of 20 miles with 3 horses and have a bottle of champagne for refreshment during the ride (2 hours)
          · Arrive at finish: Girl3; Bottle2; Bottle3 (30 minutes)

But I'm ready to change my opinion for a better one
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

For now, and untill I get an answer from MS -

I suggest we pool our resources, get an entraîneur, span six horses in front of it, and load it with the girls and the champaign.

That should give us enough time to accomplish this assignment
            Excellent suggestion for next year’s 2013 ACG Euro Meet & Greet
            BoRG

Comment

At the start: Girl1- Girl2 - (approximately 30 minutes)
              I salute you sir, you're a better man then I am

Comment

Us Texans know how to um ride as well. Why does it have to be limited to you Euro's

Comment

I'm sure it isn't - the french curassiers weren't all that particular about nationality -

The requirements are up there, clear for all to see, give it your best shot

Comment

Originally posted by TheBubba View Post
                    Us Texans know how to um ride as well...
                    Apparently. The last time I was in Dallas on business, a young lady working the cocktail lounge at the hotel assured me that "Once upon a Texan, honey, no other filly will do!"

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                      Excellent suggestion for next year’s 2013 ACG Euro Meet & Greet
                      All possible...except for the willing girls Where will I find them...
                      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

I salute you sir, you're a better man then I am
                        Hahahaha see my avatar!!!!
                        Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

I'm a modest fellow...

I'll keep a willing girl (the finest looking girl), one horse and a bottle of champagne. We'll do the ride cross country together and halfway through, have a 'pauze' for an hour.

Meanwhile the other two girls (each with a horse) will do the ride of 20 miles for me and will await me just before the finish (maybe they'll be glad too) and receive the other two bottles of champagne as a reward.

Greets,
                          Stratego

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
                            I'm a modest fellow...

I'll keep a willing girl (the finest looking girl), one horse and a bottle of champagne. We'll do the ride cross country together and halfway through, have a 'pauze' for an hour.

Meanwhile the other two girls (each with a horse) will do the ride of 20 miles for me and will await me just before the finish (maybe they'll be glad too) and receive the other two bottles of champagne as a reward.
                            Very much an answer one could expect from you Jason
                            It got me thinking of two things however:

1. Sharing a glass of champagne with your lady would be considered good form and indicate a certain social skill, so likely would be accepted. One would at least consume three glasses less, this can make a considerable difference.

What is more:
                            2. the French in the early nineteenth century would be using the metric system, not miles,
                            so the distance to be covered likely is 20 kilometers and not 20 miles.
                            That would mean that the distance covered in those three hours would be a considerable 12 KM less AND one if done with elegance and panache one would have to drink half a bottle less.

Becoming a cuirassier officer starts to get doable, I change may avatar
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 01 Sep 12, 11:22.
                            BoRG

Comment

Still, I'd rather be a private soldier in a foot regiment or a able seaman in a man of war

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X