Russian uniform, similar to......?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian uniform, similar to......?

If people were to compare the Russian uniform found on the Perry miniatures Russian infantry what would it be similar to?
    So far I have been told some Prussian and some Swedish, but I want to know if it could represent any other nation, specifically around the Waterloo campaign, any battle, any unit, though only on the Anglo allied side.

The reason is because I plan to use the forage caps on British line to make hanoverian landwehr, and don't want to waste 40 models or start a Russian army (i want competent officers, its why I'm avoiding most of the British ones :P)

I assume you are talking about their plastic miniatures? If I understand you correctly, you will be left with Russian bodies and British 1815 shako heads?

The Russian 1812 shako head on a British body makes a passable Brunswicker, but what you have left could also make another unit of Hanoverians or Prussians.

I should add to make a Brunswicker the shako cords have to be removed and a small plume added so some modeling skills are required.
    Last edited by Nappyfan; 19 Aug 12, 00:40.

Comment

Yes it would be the plastic Russians
      Correct it would leave me Russian bodies, kiwer shako heads, tall shako heads, and British stovepipe and belgic shakos, but with the belgic saved for Belgian line later on

I'm not to bothered by cords honestly, they only have to look like something from 2-4 feet away, so its not needed to be perfect really, and plumes no doubt got damaged in combat :P (my excuse anyway)

I just don't want wasted bodies really, and by putting an 1812 shako on a brit I still have Russians, I want to try and avoid doing Prussians with them, as they are available in a box set to better represent them.

The main problem is the distinctive shakos I think, otherwise I'd just damn it all and use them as my brunswicks

Comment

Some Brunswickers wore the Russian shako (kiwer means shako). Try googling various troop types from 1815 and see if anything looks do-able.

Try a local wargames club to see if anyone wants to swap or buy your surplus.

Comment

Originally posted by Nappyfan View Post
          Some Brunswickers wore the Russian shako (kiwer means shako).
          That's good enough for me :P

Comment

Some Brunswickers wore the Russian shako (kiwer means shako). Try googling various troop types from 1815 and see if anything looks do-able.

Try a local wargames club to see if anyone wants to swap or buy your surplus.
            According to Knotel "Uniforms of the World" the Brunswickers introduced the Prussian style of uniform in1823....

Comment

According to Knotel "Uniforms of the World" the Brunswickers introduced the Prussian style of uniform in1823....
              I dont know what the Prussian style has to do with it as we are talking about the Russian style. And according to Otto von Pivka some units had been equipped with the kiwer in 1815.

Brunswick Troops, Otto von Pivka, Osprey Man at Arms Series, pg 19.

Comment

NF the O.P. asked this Q...

If people were to compare the Russian uniform found on the Perry miniatures Russian infantry what would it be similar to?
                That is were the Prussian came from its an open question.

Comment

Originally posted by General Brock View Post
                  NF the O.P. asked this Q...
                  That is were the Prussian came from its an open question.
                  Wouldnt it have been better to quote the original question then and not what I said?

Comment

I did Quote it...
                    don' mess with me...Ha! ha! ha!

Comment

I dont know what the Prussian style has to do with it as we are talking about the Russian style. And according to Otto von Pivka some units had been equipped with the kiwer in 1815.

Brunswick Troops, Otto von Pivka, Osprey Man at Arms Series, pg 19.
                      Clearly more reading required as the Prussians introduced the Kiwer into their army circa 1815 e.g see attached example. I was merely quoting Knotel!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yup! that is the same one I have in my file...

Comment

I think you two should remember the original question. He wants to do units at Waterloo. The Prussian units that MAY have already been equipped with the kiwer were the guard and they were not at Waterloo.

However some Brunswickers were already equipped with the kiwer by the time of Waterloo. Probably not a complete unit, but it is a stylish shako and allows someone to field a plastic Brunswick unit.

Now behave yourself the two of youse or I'll come over there and give you a severe talking to.

Comment

russian kiwer in prussian service

Bonjour,

I think that the prussian 30th and 31st IR were still wearing their former russo-german uniforms during the waterloo campaign.
                            link: http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com...que=U&unite=40

Gboue

Comment

I think you two should remember the original question. He wants to do units at Waterloo. The Prussian units that MAY have already been equipped with the kiwer were the guard and they were not at Waterloo.

However some Brunswickers were already equipped with the kiwer by the time of Waterloo. Probably not a complete unit, but it is a stylish shako and allows someone to field a plastic Brunswick unit.

Now behave yourself the two of youse or I'll come over there and give you a severe talking to.
                              Yes!!! and the uniform above says 1815 on it, does it not?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X