Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things UNIFORMS (including modelling questions related to uniforms)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Richter
    replied
    The British Infantry are wearing the wrong pattern shako...

a8f839fad73a963d5124ebcba0123bc3.jpg
    "Die hard 57th. Die hard!"

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Be aware that only three colours were knowingly lost, The 3rd ripped their regimental and Kings colours from the staffs and one other of the 66th was said to have been saved. The only French evidence are the kings colour 66th and the shield and crown from the Kings colour of the 48th. The other colour was the Regimental Colour.

I have been waiting for evidence for a supposed '10' colours captured at Cacabelos by the French after a failed attempt at defeating a British Rear-guard. None has been forthcoming or even just one named British regiment losing a colour at the action.

Leave a comment:

• Mike H
    replied
    Massena, Thankyou, most helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    The cavalrymen are the Polish Lancers of the Vistula who, along with the 2d Hussars, caught a British infantry brigade in flank, overran it and captured either four ir six colors of the British battalions that were overrun.

The Poles are in dark blue and yellow, the hussar at the bottom left is from the French 2d Hussar Regiment.

Leave a comment:

• Mike H
    replied
    Am new on this forum but can anyone help identify the French uniforms in this painting of Albuhera 1811 the 57th in the centre I believe. The painting is by someone called Henniker painted in 1925.

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Here they are anyway:

By C Marcuard c.1819

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    They both wore fur hats. If you do a bit of googling, you can find good early photographic evidence of their use in the Crimea. If you would like post-Waterloo, pre-Crimean schematic plates, I can post them

Leave a comment:

• alex33
    replied
    Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post

Who do you mean?
    The scots greys and the foot guard units.

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    Originally posted by alex33 View Post
    Thank you!

Another thing I'm wondering about. The Prussian Leib Husaren Regiment had according to Knötel a special Oilskin cover with their Skulls and Crossbones insignia on it, I thought it was only for the shako itself but seemingly it was also on their oilskin.
    f2e9f10b375306fa159329bef7083f44.jpg
    does anybody know anything about this? I've never seen any insignia on Oilskin covers.
    Isn't this Knotel watercolor copyrighted? It is from Napoleonic Uniforms, is it not?

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Originally posted by alex33 View Post
    Well they also did wear their bearskins in the crimean war. They must've been changed to ceremonial dress sometime after that
    Who do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• alex33
    replied
    Well they also did wear their bearskins in the crimean war. They must've been changed to ceremonial dress sometime after that

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Fur caps were ceremonial in the Guards, Grenadier Companies, Fusiliers and some bandsmen at this time, not worn in the field. The Scots Greys wore their Fur caps at Waterloo covered with a black oilskin. The Albert helmet was introduced in 1842-7 until 1871 when it was replaced by the similar pattern which is more or less what you see today being worn by the Household Cavalry.
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 05 Mar 20, 10:59.

Leave a comment:

• alex33
    replied
    Does anyone know how long the bearskin caps were used in the field for the Scots greys and Foot guard units? They ofc wore different uniforms in overseas deployment but there must be an enddate for when they stopped being part of the field uniform in „european“ service

would also be nice to know when the albert helmet was replaced in the cavalry
    Last edited by alex33; 04 Mar 20, 08:07.

Leave a comment:

• alex33
    replied
    Thank you!

Another thing I'm wondering about. The Prussian Leib Husaren Regiment had according to Knötel a special Oilskin cover with their Skulls and Crossbones insignia on it, I thought it was only for the shako itself but seemingly it was also on their oilskin.
    f2e9f10b375306fa159329bef7083f44.jpg
    does anybody know anything about this? I've never seen any insignia on Oilskin covers.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X