Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things UNIFORMS (including modelling questions related to uniforms)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
    What were you looking for?
    My original question was:
    One thing i find very interessting are the carabiniers a cheval. I kinda have a thing for flashy looking gear.
    What i would like to know: almost everywhere you can read that around 1809 they turned their bearskins etc in for armour and helmet coated in brass. Then again it is also said that the officers get the same equipment only with a copper coating with a star on a sunburst on the chest of the cuirass. I've seen the copper cuirass at the invalides museum on paris last year. I've also seen plates (i think the dresden ones) and portraits where officers wore normal "line" carabiniers armour in brass. I know thos could also be because of diferent sircumstances pf the supply lines etc. but my real question here is: did the regulations or the decree of 1809 specify that officer get the copper coated cuirass with the star and ofc the helmet? I ask this because i read about the carabiniers in swords around the throne that they got their brass equipment but no mention of the copper ones. Also jouineau mentions in his book that they got their stuff in brass but also does not mention the copper officer variants but also paint the officers with the brass ones.

I'm getting back into Napoleonic uniformology and remembered that I asked about this but the links you provided back then sadly dont work anymore and I kinda have forgotten about this^^

Comment

• Have you the Rousselot plates and text?
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Sadly not =(

Comment

• OK. go to the Napoleonic forum on this site, go to Stickie Best Uniform, go to page 162: scroll down for 3230 and 3231 posts. And also Page 162 for post 3284.

I posted every single Rousselot plate and text on that thread starting from page 161: post 3213. In that first post, I stated that I couldn't find some of the plates, but I did manage to find them later and posted them further on.

If you still have trouble with access, give me another post.

Comment

• Wow thank you. From what book is that? I really would like to buy me a copy

Comment

• They are individual, issued plates printed on card 32cm x 24cm (12-1/2 x 9-1/2 inches) which folds out and comes with 2x4 folded text sheets printed in English and French. There is a book that has the same plates in called 'Napoleons Army 1790 - 1815 by Lucien Rousselot, but the price new is rather steep.
              https://www.amazon.co.uk/Napoleons-A...my+1790+-+1815

Anyway! If you click on all those posts, you should be able to download all those pictures to your computer.

Comment

• Yeah thanks I did that just now =) I saw the book on Amazon the scans seem to be a bit weird and some of the colours seemingly did not translate well. For example the Carabinier officer helmet in the book has the wrong colour somehow.

Do you have any book recommendation for British uniforms? I only know of C. E. Franklins book which is available for the cheap price of.... over 600 €

Comment

• These may be of help.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=467664

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/...=463797&page=2

Paul

Comment

• Thank you.

concerning the book here for example https://fotki.lv/lv/Remi/comments-26212098/ it looks completley different I dont know how they managed that but the helmet isnt even copper coloured

Comment

• Why are you going to that site? It's rubbish. all it shows you are the plates not the text. stick to the advice I gave you in post #424

Comment

• Ah I already did what you adviced me. But thats how the Carabiniers plate looks like in the "Napoleons Army" book acording to amazon I just wanted to show why I refrained from buying it. It seems that some colors on the plates of the book are somehow wrong no Idea how they managed to f that up

Comment

• Originally posted by alex33 View Post
                          Ah I already did what you adviced me. But thats how the Carabiniers plate looks like in the "Napoleons Army" book acording to amazon I just wanted to show why I refrained from buying it. It seems that some colors on the plates of the book are somehow wrong no Idea how they managed to f that up
                          OK! I'll check my copy in the morning, and if it is as bad as you say, I'll let you know.

Comment

• Well! I've checked my copy and the pictures on pages 153 and 157 (pages 147-160 Carabiniers 1804-1815 section of the book) where the officers are depicted, show the copper metal quite clearly on the cuirass but with the helmets, there isn't much contrast between the two.

Originally posted by alex33 View Post
                            Ah I already did what you adviced me. But that's how the Carabiniers plate looks like in the "Napoleons Army" book according to amazon I just wanted to show why I refrained from buying it. It seems that some colors on the plates of the book are somehow wrong no Idea how they managed to f that up
                            My advice is that you download the plates and text I posted on the 'Stickie Best Uniform thread. You won't need to buy the book. The plates show the copper quite distinctly, and if you read the text, you will see that though the uniform decree was laid down at the end of December 1809, it seems that the new uniform wasn't in general use until well into 1811.

Your link 'FOTK.LV' are not pages from the book. They are scans only of the colour plates and rather bad ones they are too. compare that plate to the one that I posted, you will see a marked difference.

These are my plate posts:

Paul
                            Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 02 Feb 19, 03:09.

Comment

• Originally posted by alex33 View Post
                              Ah I already did what you adviced me. But thats how the Carabiniers plate looks like in the "Napoleons Army" book acording to amazon I just wanted to show why I refrained from buying it. It seems that some colors on the plates of the book are somehow wrong no Idea how they managed to f that up
                              I would recommend collecting the plates themselves, though that takes some time and you might not get them all. I found the book OK but not great and somewhat awkward to use.

I have 68 if the plates and found them in various places such as toy soldier shows and On Military Matters usually has some for sale. They are on line. Ebay usually has some for bidding.
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X