Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things UNIFORMS (including modelling questions related to uniforms)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
    The white collar, white bearskin with yellow? cords/flounders? has me stumped. Unless the source can be found, I would mark it as spurious.

Paul
    almost all the information was bombed away when the Netherlands were attacked in the second world war
    the place were the information was stored was also a army depot this made it a target for German bombers

Comment

• Russian Commander uniforms

Allo,
      Wes thu hal,
      May someone provide a source of Russian command uniforms, that range from regiment commanders to division commanders.

French ones would also be appreciated.

Also, was it common for cavalry brigade commanders to way the same uniform of a regiment, similar to how general cardigan of the light brigade at the battle of balaclava wore a hussar uniform. Was this same for the Napoleonic wars?

Thanks in advance,
      Maeg dryhten beof mid geo eal!

Comment

• info

Originally posted by LieutenantIvan View Post
        Allo,
        Wes thu hal,
        May someone provide a source of Russian command uniforms, that range from regiment commanders to division commanders.

French ones would also be appreciated.

Also, was it common for cavalry brigade commanders to way the same uniform of a regiment, similar to how general cardigan of the light brigade at the battle of balaclava wore a hussar uniform. Was this same for the Napoleonic wars?

Thanks in advance,
        Maeg dryhten beof mid geo eal!
        some of the French uniforms are in the tread for the Rigo plates

Comment

• Good morning and merry Xmas to all.

I finished a figure last night and would love to hear from the experts, because I made some changes-conversion. The figure is from Metal modeles and measure 54mm, depicting a Hussar of the 5th regiment
          Attached Files

Comment

• 5th Hussar

Originally posted by debrito View Post
            Good morning and merry Xmas to all.

I finished a figure last night and would love to hear from the experts, because I made some changes-conversion. The figure is from Metal modeles and measure 54mm, depicting a Hussar of the 5th regiment
            I think that is absolutely brilliant.
            Ed

Comment

• Leib-husaren and garde-kürassiere 1860-71

Hello!

Thinking that getting information about the second french empire is hard i'm now looking Into some stuff about prussia during the timeframe 1860-71 which is even harder as i can hardly find any good sources on the internet about those things. I'm specifically interessted in the 2 leibhusaren regiments and the garde-kürassier regiment.
              I've seen pictures and photographs about the leib-husars and so on but from my research into the napoleonic era there are different kinds of uniforms and they get less and less flamboyant when in battle-dress.

This is the classical deathshead husar of the victorian age. But this kinda looks more like a parade dress. In my books about the napoleonic age it is often mentioned that soliders put their kolpaks into oilskins to protect them while on campaign was this still the case? Did they look like this while in battle and if not does anyone know how their regulations for the service dress look like?

The other thing are the garde-kürassiere:
              In all written things i found about them it is said that their helmets and cuirasses were tombak colored like with the garde-du-corps. Did they wear those tombak colored cuirasses and helmets during battle or did they exchange those during battle?

I hope someone can help me with this as i have no idea about the uniforms of the victorian age!

Cheers!

Comment

• some plates

some nice uniformplates
                Attached Files

Comment

• Hi,
                  What's the number of the Domange's plate ?
                  This is a part of the plate.
                  Can you send the complete plate?
                  Thanks and best 2017

Comment

• Try looking at the library Galicia.bnf, they have some books on the German empire, you will have to search but a good start would to insert Germany war of 1870, or uniforms 1870.
                    also I believe that Alfons Casonova has some pieces on his website.

Comment

• Just remembered in Galica there are two volumes on the French troops for the "Siege of Paris 1870" which are all in colour, I don't have the links as it is outside my period

Comment

• Cool thx i will look it up!

Does anyone know why the Royal Scots greys uniform is drastically different and unique among the British dragoons?

Comment

• Apart from the bearskin the uniform was basically the same as the other heavy dragoon regiments. But what was unusual was that the trumpeters had white chevron's going up each sleeve, a bit like inverted sergeant's stripes but starting from the cuff and finishing at the shoulder.

Wiki's page is pretty good. This is the extract from it.

"Although the same basic uniform was worn by the heavy cavalry of the British Army at any given period, for centuries each regiment had its own distinctions and variations. The Scots Greys were no different. The most noticeable difference in the uniform of the Scots Greys was that the regimental full dress worn as general issue until 1914 included a bearskin cap. They were the only British heavy cavalry regiment to wear this fur headdress. Prior to receiving the bearskin, they were also unique among British cavalry regiments in wearing the mitre cap (sometimes referred to as a grenadier cap) instead of the cocked hat or tricorn worn by the rest of the British cavalry during the eighteenth century. The mitre cap dates back to the reign of Queen Anne, who awarded them this distinction after the Battle of Ramillies in 1706. An early form of the bearskin was adopted in 1768.[144]

Other regimental dress distinctions of the Scots Greys included a yellow zigzag "vandyk" band on the No. 1 dress peaked caps of the regiment, metal insignia representing the White Horse of Hanover worn at the back of the bearskin, and the silver eagle badge worn to commemorate the capture of the French standard at Waterloo"

And here is a discussion that I was part of on another site where I posted a contemporary painting of a scene the night before Waterloo

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=408258

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=412411

and here is that painting in a higher resolution.

Note that the trumpeter is laying near a fire on the bottom left of the picture with his head resting on his hand. Note too the fatigue caps.

Paul
                          Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 01 Jan 17, 18:16.
                          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                          All human ills he can subdue,
                          Or with a bauble or medal
                          Can win mans heart for you;
                          And many a blessing know to stew
                          To make a megloamaniac bright;
                          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Cool info thank you good sir!

One thing i find very interessting are the carabiniers a cheval. I kinda have a thing for flashy looking gear.
                            What i would like to know: almost everywhere you can read that around 1809 they turned their bearskins etc in for armour and helmet coated in brass. Then again it is also said that the officers get the same equipment only with a copper coating with a star on a sunburst on the chest of the cuirass. I've seen the copper cuirass at the invalides museum on paris last year. I've also seen plates (i think the dresden ones) and portraits where officers wore normal "line" carabiniers armour in brass. I know thos could also be because of diferent sircumstances pf the supply lines etc. but my real question here is: did the regulations or the decree of 1809 specify that officer get the copper coated cuirass with the star and ofc the helmet? I ask this because i read about the carabiniers in swords around the throne that they got their brass equipment but no mention of the copper ones. Also jouineau mentions in his book that they got their stuff in brass but also does not mention the copper officer variants but also paint the officers with the brass ones

Comment

• http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...postcount=3231

scroll down to the second group.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...postcount=3230

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...postcount=3284

Paul
                              Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 04 Jan 17, 22:49.
                              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                              All human ills he can subdue,
                              Or with a bauble or medal
                              Can win mans heart for you;
                              And many a blessing know to stew
                              To make a megloamaniac bright;
                              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• question

is there someone who has more information about the two soldiers on the left side of this plate
                                the most left is probably a guimbardier ( wagon driver )
                                I am awaiting your answers
                                thanks in advance
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X