Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things UNIFORMS (including modelling questions related to uniforms)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
    Nothing, other than that the original editions (1993) were published with dust covers, the re-release, (2007) without dust covers, a picture of a colour plate stuck to the front cover but with a matching red slipcase. Volumes 1&2 426 pages each which equates to 852 pages.

Volumes 3&4 'Vassals and Allies' editions (2000) are slimmer volumes and also have one plate per page throughout which will account for the 320 pages per volume layout which equates to 640 pages. Oh! these editions are published with dust-covers.

I have all four volumes and though the dialogue to some of the plates are a tad off-putting, I can highly recommend them all.

Paul
    Thx for the quick reply! I really hope that its really both books in the first link. That they only write 426 pages was a bit weird to me. Why is some of the dialouge off-putting?

Comment

• Originally posted by alex33 View Post
      Thx for the quick reply! I really hope that its really both books in the first link. That they only write 426 pages was a bit weird to me. Why is some of the dialouge off-putting?
      Some of the captions are formed of Americanisms and other inappropriate wording. But seeing as the books were originally for the American market and edited by an American author, it is understandable why they are there. It's just that 'to me' they are inappropriate, especially when other American market books on the same subject, uses a more 'universal' English dialogue.

A couple of examples on page 151, plate 44 'General of Brigade of Carabiniers. Part of the caption reads:

"The General commanding them has donned their type of brass-coated cuirass and wears their distinctive helmet but with a black crest instead of their red ones. Being something of a dude, he has his stirrup straps and martingale in red leather

and also on page 167, plate 9, Voltiguer 1812: "such aggresive runt's" And in plate 10, 1st Sergeant, regimental cannon company: "silver and red in his shako braiding and cords marks this topkick's grade."

There are many more.

Paul
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 08 Mar 16, 06:25.
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by alex33 View Post
        There is nothing wrong or incorrect with the author's wording. In plain language, it's 'soldier talk' from an American army officer of long standing who was also a military history instructor/professor for 11 years at West Point.

The illustrations are from his own collection that he used to illustrate his lessons on the Napoleonic period for his students and all are by Herbert Knotel.

I was fortunate to see the originals in the binders that he put them in as a collection in his study at home.

There were also about 13 large Knotel watercolors that were framed in the colonel's home and I was fortunate enough to have been left two of them for my own collection after the colonel passed away in 2000. His wife gave them to me as we had been good friends for over ten years.

The collection, I believe, was left to the West Point Museum.

The four uniform books, with the captions written by the colonel, were the last installment on his Napoleonic trilogy, the first two volumes being his operational study of the wars, A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars (which I believe to be much superior to Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon which was published two years after the Atlas) and Swords Around A Throne, the organizational study of the Grande Armee which includes material not published in English before and was the result of 30 years of research.

I have found all three to be indispensable in the study of the Grande Armee.
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• " marks this topkick's grade "

Maybe cause I'm Canadian, but what the heck does that mean ??

Comment

• Originally posted by Cliff2011 View Post
            " marks this topkick's grade "

Maybe cause I'm Canadian, but what the heck does that mean ??
            It's Old Army (US) for 1st Sergeant.

There is another excellent book by Colonel Elting, A Dictionary of Soldier Talk which I highly recommend.

It's enlightening to say the least.
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Regarding uniforms of the French Line Infantry at Waterloo

I am gathering information to start my first 28mm wargame army. I Am Starting with Sir Thomas Picton Division and Information has been fairly easy to come by so far. With the French I am starting with I Corps, 28th, 105th, 54th,55th ect. Line infantry and would like to know how each (Regt) was different to each other? Was it merely a different number on their shako etc. Different facing colours? Any Help in Pointing a novice in the right direction will be appreciated.

Comment

• answer

check this site
                http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/unitesFR.php

Comment

• By Waterloo, French line infantry units 'where the uniform was issued' were pretty much the same, though the types of trousers would vary. As shown on the Cent Joures site posted above.

Be aware though that that site should be used with caution.

I only have the text to the above plates in French I'm afraid.

Paul

Comment

• Russian Hussars at the time of Emperor Paul.

Alexandria regiment

Akhtyrsky regiment

Elisavetgrad regiment

Izyumsky regiment
                    Last edited by vladimir Pantin; 14 Mar 16, 20:12.

Comment

• Mariupol regiment

Olviopolsky regiment

Pavlograd regiment

Sumy regiment

Comment

• Well done Vladimir,
                        A logic suite to Vikstovatov.....

Comment

• For Info:

Paul

Comment

• puzzle

this uniform plate is from a dutch painter
                            this painter is in all other paintings very accurate
                            his name is - Michel Hermanus van Tilburg -
                            this one however is a puzzle for me
                            is there someone who can give some extra information?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Vague similarities to the uniform of the Kingdom of Holland Guard Cuirassiers but can't find any reference to the white bearskin in either this regiment or the Imperial Guard Dragoons.

Comment

• The white collar, white bearskin with yellow? cords/flounders? has me stumped. Unless the source can be found, I would mark it as spurious.

Paul

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse