Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things UNIFORMS (including modelling questions related to uniforms)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artistic license, certainly but the dragoon like soldier could also be a "guide de l'état major" according Boisselier they could have worn red epaulettes.

Behind Napoleon the ADC seems to be dressed as a "gendarme d'ordonnance" which didn't exist during the Austerlitz campaign.

For the white haired general, Maréchal Bessières could be the best guess.

Hope it helps

Gboue

Comment

• Originally posted by gboue View Post
      Artistic license, certainly but the dragoon like soldier could also be a "guide de l'état major" according Boisselier they could have worn red epaulettes.

Behind Napoleon the ADC seems to be dressed as a "gendarme d'ordonnance" which didn't exist during the Austerlitz campaign.

For the white haired general, Maréchal Bessières could be the best guess.

Hope it helps

Gboue
      Perhaps 'in this rather fanciful painting, the white haired chap is Kellermann and the Dragoon meant to be of the 4th regiment but he has depicted a 1st regiment type with elite epauletts to boot. The saddles are depicted with yellow braid (should be white) and what's with the yellow plume? If it is meant to be the 1st, then the plume should be red or green with red tip. If the 4th, the plume should be white. Anyway, Woodville's paintings should be taken with a pinch of salt as he didn't have the extensive knowledge and access to period uniforms that his his European counterparts did.

Paul
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 12 Feb 16, 13:56.
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Thanks you for your help Guys.
        Do you agree that the guy in front of Naopleon could be Murat?
        Any idea of what uniform he could be wearing?

Comment

• Originally posted by ONIRIA View Post
          Thanks you for your help Guys.
          Do you agree that the guy in front of Naopleon could be Murat?
          Any idea of what uniform he could be wearing?
          It is indeed meant to be Murat. I'll have a search through my references of him to see if he had such a uniform. Somehow, I don't think I'll find its like.

Paul

Comment

• Cheers Arthur.
            Thanks u for your help.
            Angel

Comment

• Two Austerlitz Bicorns

An N.C.O's

And an officers

Paul

Comment

..as you will see below the painting is his "Croix d'Honneur"
                AS far as I’ve been able to sort out, the scente can take place after the battle of Austerlitz:. I came to this conclusion because of weather conditions in the terrain, the captured Austrian flag, the dome of church in the background looks like it’s the Augezd church.
                If we agree that the Battle is Austerlitz there are several things that don’t match (could be simply artistic license), and would like to your opinion:

The unit of the soldier being decorated is unknown to me. It looks like an Empress dragoon uniform, but in 1805 this unit did not exist. I guess it’s a AL from the painter but, what unit could it be?
                The General in blue looks like it could be Mural, but I haven’t been able to find any picture or painting with Mural wearing a similar uniform. Another AL? If we agree that he’s Murat, is there any reacord of how he was dressed during the battle of Austerlitz?

The General with the cape and long white hair is also a mistery to me. Do you think he could be a real character, or simply made up?

The mameluke hodling Napoleon’s horse doesn’t look like his personal bodyguard Roustan Raza, and the uniform seems a bit “unique”. What’s your opinion on this fellow?

Well that’s about all..
                I would really thank you for all the input and opinions you could give me

Best regards
                Angel
                this picture is full of artistic license...

the decorated man seems a cuirassier before the port of the cuirass ( 1803 regiments received the cuirass)
                the regiment is on the background, holster cannot be with yellow lace but white
                Murat has an uniform quite fantasy. never existed. It's a combination of the marshal full dress coat ( in the snow?) and some AL like the vertical pockets
                the officer with long hairs can be Bessieres, the only that maintained the revolutionary cutting style for the hairs
                the Mameluck can be Raza Roustan that never had an uniform but always wore oriental style habits. strange are the moustache
                Napoleon doesn't wear the legion d'onor as usual for him
                the Napoleon saddle is completely wrong, never see something similar

it's a AL adaptation of a battleflag capture...

Comment

• Originally posted by ivopreda View Post
                  this picture is full of artistic license...

the decorated man seems a cuirassier before the port of the cuirass ( 1803 regiments received the cuirass)
                  the regiment is on the background, holster cannot be with yellow lace but white
                  Murat has an uniform quite fantasy. never existed. It's a combination of the marshal full dress coat ( in the snow?) and some AL like the vertical pockets
                  the officer with long hairs can be Bessieres, the only that maintained the revolutionary cutting style for the hairs
                  the Mameluck can be Raza Roustan that never had an uniform but always wore oriental style habits. strange are the moustache
                  Napoleon doesn't wear the legion d'onor as usual for him
                  the Napoleon saddle is completely wrong, never see something similar

it's a AL adaptation of a battleflag capture...
                  Thank you for your inputs Ivo.
                  BTW any of you have an idea of what uniform Murat wore in Austerlitz?

Saludetes

Comment

Saludetes
                    it a difficult question. I don't know any document that represent him at Austerlitz.

reasonably he was wearing some warm cloths considering the meteo, something like the Polonaise represented for Eylau

sorry, I cannot help you more

Comment

• Murat probably wore a white hussar uniform with red pelisse, a black colpack with white plume and red bag. Red boots completed the ensamble.

For 1807 he wore what was essentially a white marshal's uniform though with breeches and black hussar boots, and what was essentially the regulation bicorne.

Both uniforms were heavily encrusted with gold lace.

interestingly, when Napoleon saw him in one of his more fantastic get-ups, he told him to go put on his uniform.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Saludetes

Comment

• Cheers guys.
                          Thank you all for your help

Comment

• For Info:

Paul

Comment

• As this is kinda related to the topic: i need your help folks.
                              Can someone please tell me whats the difference between:
                              http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/185367...=9781853677373
                              Says volume 1&2 only has 400 pages
                              And
                              http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/002897..._1457426199986
                              Also volume 1&2 but almost has 1000 pages.

I dont get why the first one has less pages. Does anyone have one of these and can help me here as i would prefere to buy the first version as the 2nd one is awfully expensive here in austria but i don't want a book whith less in it

Comment

• Originally posted by alex33 View Post
                                As this is kinda related to the topic: i need your help folks.
                                Can someone please tell me whats the difference between:
                                http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/185367...=9781853677373
                                Says volume 1&2 only has 400 pages
                                And
                                http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/002897..._1457426199986
                                Also volume 1&2 but almost has 1000 pages.

I dont get why the first one has less pages. Does anyone have one of these and can help me here as i would prefere to buy the first version as the 2nd one is awfully expensive here in austria but i don't want a book whith less in it
                                Nothing, other than that the original editions (1993) were published with dust covers, the re-release, (2007) without dust covers, a picture of a colour plate stuck to the front cover but with a matching red slipcase and many pages have more than one colour plate. Volumes 1&2 are 426 pages each which equates to 852 pages.

Volumes 3&4 'Vassals and Allies' editions (2000) are slimmer volumes and have only one plate per page throughout which will account for the 320 pages per volume layout which equates to 640 pages. Oh! these editions are published with dust-covers.

I have all four volumes and though the dialogue to some of the plates are a tad off-putting, I can highly recommend them.

Paul
                                Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 08 Mar 16, 04:02.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...