Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things UNIFORMS (including modelling questions related to uniforms)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all. I'm starting a project on le Marchant's brigade at Salamanca and I've got a question about their dress. I know that at this stage of the campaign they were still wearing the old style uniforms with laced jackets and bicornes but we're they wearing overalls, or breeches and long boots? And how were their hats worn? Side to side, or fore and aft? I've seen pictures of both!

Swift'n'bold

Comment

• Originally posted by swift'n'bold View Post
      Hi all. I'm starting a project on le Marchant's brigade at Salamanca and I've got a question about their dress. I know that at this stage of the campaign they were still wearing the old style uniforms with laced jackets and bicornes but we're they wearing overalls, or breeches and long boots? And how were their hats worn? Side to side, or fore and aft? I've seen pictures of both!

Swift'n'bold
      Bicorne: Fore and aft marching order. Port-starboard, Guard duty, review, walking out dress with officer wearing it in the 'French manner'. White Breeches/long boots full dress. overalls/half boots for marching order.

Paul
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 16 May 14, 16:54.
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Thanks Dibs. I thought that would be the case but wasn't certain. Knew I could count on you!

Comment

• Courier for Napoleon's Coronation dress

Hi All,

I have the Bucquoy books and in one of them, a courier in a green costume is represented. I am intrigued by the headress and are there any other pictures representing this costume, front and back? I am planning to do a model of this figure if possible.

Rgds
          Victor

Comment

• Originally posted by blaster View Post
            Hi All,

I have the Bucquoy books and in one of them, a courier in a green costume is represented. I am intrigued by the headress and are there any other pictures representing this costume, front and back? I am planning to do a model of this figure if possible.

Rgds
            Victor
            Is it, for instance in his Dragons et Guides book? And what page is the illustration on?

Paul

Comment

• hi to all i have question about an interesting british napoleonic uniform

this is lord londonderry adjutant-general to lord welington
              can someone tell me more about the uniform he is depicted on with
              any pictures will be very helpfull thank you in advance
              regards rado

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                Is it, for instance in his Dragons et Guides book? And what page is the illustration on?

Paul
                Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply.

I can see why my query would lead you to think dragoons...

I was referring to the Bucquoy book on Napoleon's coronation, where a courier costume is featured.

Rgds Victor

Comment

• Originally posted by blaster View Post
                  Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply.

I can see why my query would lead you to think dragoons...

I was referring to the Bucquoy book on Napoleon's coronation, where a courier costume is featured.

Rgds Victor
                  Well Victor,

If you mean these,...

....then I'm sorry but I haven't got a clue. They seem to be a form of mitre type cap

Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by rado282879 View Post
                    hi to all i have question about an interesting british napoleonic uniform

this is lord londonderry adjutant-general to lord welington
                    can someone tell me more about the uniform he is depicted on with
                    any pictures will be very helpfull thank you in advance
                    regards rado
                    Well rado,

Do you mean this?

It's the same as this worn by Lt General Henry William Paget.

It's a Lt General commander in chief of cavalry in hussar style dress uniform. Lt General Stapleton Cotton, is depicted in a similar dolman of the same colour (though with a different colour pelisse) but he 'unlike Vane' wears campaign breeches.

Here is the (Henry William Paget) Earl Uxbridge's Pelisse.

Paul
                    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 10 Jun 14, 15:02.

Comment

Well rado,

Do you mean this?

It's the same as this worn by Lt General Henry William Paget.

It's a Lt General commander in chief of cavalry in hussar style dress uniform. Lt General Stapleton Cotton, is depicted in a similar dolman of the same colour (though with a different colour pelisse) but he 'unlike Vane' wears campaign breeches.

Here is the (Henry William Paget) Earl Uxbridge's Pelisse.

Paul
                      Was that strictly for formal use, or would some version have been worn in the field?
                      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Originally posted by marktwain View Post
                        Was that strictly for formal use, or would some version have been worn in the field?
                        Well, Uxbridge wore this pelisse....

.... and these breeches, still splattered with mud, on that fateful day at Waterloo where he commanded the Allied Cavalry and of course, he lost his leg.

The Pelisse of his in the first picture I posted and that you are alluding to, is of post Napoleonic war cut and part of a full dress uniform that would have have cost the modern day equivalent of tens of thousands of £'s. Mind you, so would his campaign dress.

Paul
                        Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 10 Jun 14, 23:49.

Comment

Well Victor,

If you mean these,...

....then I'm sorry but I haven't got a clue. They seem to be a form of mitre type cap

Paul
                          Thanks. I have just noticed the slight differences in costume details between the two images accompanied by the dates, presumably each was for a different occasion? Coronation first, then 2nd wedding?

Comment

• hi i am making the carabiners in paper
                            any one know the regimental flag of 1st regiment carabiniers before 1812 changes?

http://uploads.ru/IVovM.png

Comment

Flags and Standards of the Napoleonic Wars. by Keith Over

"As with the infantry arm there was no real standardisation of design for
                              cavalry standards at the beginning of our period. Dragoons had guidons of the
                              usual two-tailed shape, colours varying according to the squadron. The guidon
                              for the 1st squadron of the 4th regiment was white with broad border of
                              alternate blue and red squares. Lettering and grenades were gold. The guidon of
                              the 4th squadron of the same regiment was red with a gold border, the
                              inscriptions being the same as the 1st squadron. A drawing of a standard for
                              hussars in 1803 shows a guidon with a simple semi-circular fly. The standard was
                              divided horizontally, blue upper, red lower. The central device was a green,
                              tightly-packed laurel wreath bound top and bottom with two turns of tricolour
                              ribbon. The area within the wreath was white with a cock in natural colours,
                              looking to the left, with wings partly displayed (like the imperial eagle) and
                              standing on a golden trumpet. A tricolour ribbon lay across the bottom of the
                              standard passing over the laurel, behind the trumpet and over the other arm of
                              the laurel. This bore the inscription REPUBLIQUE to the left and FRANÇAISE
                              to the right of the laurel wreath. A scrollwork border in gold near the edge of the
                              standard terminated in gold grenades in the staff side corners, and it had a gold
                              fringe. A standard for the Cuirassiers of the same period was blue, and bore in
                              the centre a cuirasse of Romanesque pattern in silver with red undercloth. Above
                              this was a golden Romanesque helmet. The whole central motif was flanked by
                              green laurel sprigs crossed at the bottom in the normal way. Above the helmet
                              was a tricolour ribbon bearing the inscription REPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE.
                              Below the laurel was another tricolour ribbon bearing the inscription:— (Number
                              of Squadron) ER ESCADRON. A border of gold scrollwork had corners bearing
                              the regimental number, the standard had a gold fringe on those three sides not
                              attached to the staff.
                              The standards of 1804 were the same pattern as for the infantry. Two types
                              were used by the cavalry; square (60cm. by 60cm.) and guidon (60cm. by 70cm.).
                              Some individual examples are given below:—
                              The square standard of the first Cuirassiers bore in the corner wreaths the
                              numeral I
                              The inscriptions were:—
                              L'EMPEREUR/DES FRANÇAIS/AU 1er REGIMENT/DE CUIRASSIERS
                              and on the other side:—
                              VALEUR/ET DISCIPLINE/2eme ESCADRON
                              The eagle bore the numeral I on the plinth. The 23rd regiment of Dragoons had
                              a guidon (see illustration 65) in the usual colours.
                              The square standard of the 1st regiment of Hussars was the same design as
                              that for the Cuirassiers with the inscription:—
                              L'EMPEREUR/DES FRANÇAIS/AU 1er REGIMENT/DE HUSSARDS
                              Inscription on the other side was exactly the same as the Cuirassier standard. All
                              the regulations concerning the design and allocation of flags applied to the
                              infantry were also applicable to the cavalry and other arms. In 1812 the tricolour
                              standards of the cavalry were simply scaled-down versions of the infantry flag.
                              Those of the first and second regiments had the following inscriptions:—
                              L'EMPEREUR/NAPOLEON/AU (number of regiment) REGIMENT/DE
                              CARABINIERS
                              on the other side the battle honours for both regiments were as follows:—
                              AUSTERLITZ/JENA/EYLAU/FRIEDLAND/ECKMUHL/WAGRAM
                              The following list gives the battle honours for the other regiments of line cavalry"

Paul

Comment

• thanks
                                if I understand correctly it will like this