Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things UNIFORMS (including modelling questions related to uniforms)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info

U assumed it correctly on the ground is also a marchel (bessieres)
    here are some pics concerning staf officers
    have fun

ps the light bleu uniform is the officier d'ordonnance
    Attached Files

Comment

• info

here is a picture of the porte lunette (the man in the green uniform)in cas you need it to
      Attached Files

Comment

• info

the last pic is the chasseur a cheval (his duty was to carry the maps for napoleon)Porte cartes
        Attached Files

Comment

• Hi reps , thanks for your quick and expert opinion. I have one more question and that is who exactly is the marshal on horse in the painting. I know that marshal on the ground with white hair and his horse lying on the ground is Bessiers. One point about the page Porte lunettes , is he a very young guy or even a boy ? For the guy in white dolman and red shako whom I understand is ADC to Berthier , I am still not sure the color of his pouch and pouch belt. It seems from the painting the pouch is in red with golden eagle and the pouch belt is probably gold. Many thanks for your help and I know it is a big challenge to build this diorama. This is also a wonderful site with uniform experts who are extremely helpful and friendly.

Comment

• info

I think that the marshall at the back is Duroc (he was grand marechal du palace)this ment that he was always close to napoleon
            the porte lunnete's where young boys
            i will look if i can find a picture of the giberne of the aide de camp
            good luck with your diorama
            Attached Files

Comment

• Hi repd , many thanks for your expert information.

Comment

• last info

the giberne
                Attached Files

Comment

• Hi repd , many thanks for your information and they are extremely helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prinz Essling View Post
                    Lippe 2

The Detmold & Schaumburg detachments wore exactly the same uniform.
                    Prinz Essling YOU ARE A STAR - A truly wonderful, kind and considerate contribution, my Friend!!!

Comment

• Some Swiss cantonal militia by Albert von Escher
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Hi , as a follow up of my earlier posting about Vernet's painting about Battle of Wagram , I would like some more information about Napoleon's uniform that he wore on that battle and in particular the horse furniture and in particular details of the saddle cloth. I know that he wore uniform of a colonel of Chasseurs a pied of the Guard based on Plate 1 in Edward Ryan's book Napoleon's Elite Cavalary published by Greenhill Books

Comment

• Hi all, I am new to the forum and to this excellent thread. I was wondering whether someone can help with a uniform dilemma I have. I cannot find any information at all, neither on British uniforms books I have nor on the internet, about the uniforms worn by the drummers of the 48th (Northamptonshire) Regiment during the Peninsular war. I know the regimental colour facings were buff, so I assume the drummer's jacket would be buff, but what about collars, cuffs and lace, would these be red or white?

Another question concerns the drum: would it be buff like the uniform? More in general any picture of British peninsular drums (not necessarily from the 48th) carrying the GR cypher would be very useful to me, as I am trying to replicate the cypher on a miniature. many thanks in advance for the help!

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena79 View Post
                            Hi all, I am new to the forum and to this excellent thread. I was wondering whether someone can help with a uniform dilemma I have. I cannot find any information at all, neither on British uniforms books I have nor on the internet, about the uniforms worn by the drummers of the 48th (Northamptonshire) Regiment during the Peninsular war. I know the regimental colour facings were buff, so I assume the drummer's jacket would be buff, but what about collars, cuffs and lace, would these be red or white?

Another question concerns the drum: would it be buff like the uniform? More in general any picture of British peninsular drums (not necessarily from the 48th) carrying the GR cypher would be very useful to me, as I am trying to replicate the cypher on a miniature. many thanks in advance for the help!
                            Here you go!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1...page&q&f=false

And have a look through this pdf link.

http://cwfdalumni.org/DocumentFiles/...03-15-2012.pdf

Paul
                            Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 17 Dec 12, 20:42.
                            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                            All human ills he can subdue,
                            Or with a bauble or medal
                            Can win mans heart for you;
                            And many a blessing know to stew
                            To make a megloamaniac bright;
                            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• thank you Paul, very useful. Do you know what was written around the "48" on the backpack? I can't read from the picture you linked.

On King George's cipher: would this be golden against the drum's buff? your sources seem to point to that.
                              Also I seem to recall somebody told me once that the regimental number (in Roman numbers) was inscribed just below the cipher but I might be wrong on this one...any help appreciated!
                              Last edited by Massena79; 18 Dec 12, 08:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena79 View Post
                                thank you Paul, very useful. Do you know what was written around the "48" on the backpack? I can't read from the picture you linked.

On King George's cipher: would this be golden against the drum's buff? your sources seem to point to that.
                                Also I seem to recall somebody told me once that the regimental number (in Roman numbers) was inscribed just below the cipher but I might be wrong on this one...any help appreciated!
                                The motif on the 'backpack' reads 'NORTHAMPTON'

All the illustrations of drums that I have seen had 'arabic' numerals, mainly in the style of eg, 4GR8. The cypher may have been painted in gold or in white with the kings crown above the GR in real colours.

It's a right bind to find out just what was painted because there is a dearth of information on the subject. Even accurate info of what musicians uniform of many line regiments looked like (including that of the 48th), is as scarce as hens teeth.

Paul
                                ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                                All human ills he can subdue,
                                Or with a bauble or medal
                                Can win mans heart for you;
                                And many a blessing know to stew
                                To make a megloamaniac bright;
                                Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                                The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse