Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Napoleonic Boardgames

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds interesting, a nice discussion.
    A great game is when you never get tired of playing it over and over.
    Because the system can not be broken. It gives the players a good impression of what warfare at the level of the game was like. For Grand Strategy: Empires in Arms is still the best.
    Grand Tactical: Wellington's Victory.
    Operational: 1809, napoleon's last Battles, The Emperor Returns. The system in these games is the best.

Comment

As to which games are the best, which games are the worst and why.
      War and Peace is the worst. Totally unrealistic. The naval rules were terrible, and the system can be broken. Meaning that if you use the standard rules, the French can not lose. How you ask? There is no stacking limit in Paris. So the French do nothing but stack all their strength points in Paris. They can not be knocked out of Paris and at the end of the game, if the French hold Paris, they win. Production was solely based on holding your capital. Bad game!

Comment

I feel bad for you Stratego, movement and actions are too complex! That is the point of wargames! Otherwise just play checkers or risk. No thought involved.

Comment

Anyone interested in a good old PBEM of Empires in Arms?

Comment

Originally posted by El.Cid View Post
            As to which games are the best, which games are the worst and why.
            War and Peace is the worst. Totally unrealistic. The naval rules were terrible, and the system can be broken. Meaning that if you use the standard rules, the French can not lose. How you ask? There is no stacking limit in Paris. So the French do nothing but stack all their strength points in Paris. They can not be knocked out of Paris and at the end of the game, if the French hold Paris, they win. Production was solely based on holding your capital. Bad game!
            Your forgetting that attrition decimates stackings beyond 5- you can try that cheat- and leave the French capitol a corpse strewn capitol of starving troops...
            If war is Hell, why was the Eastern Front so damned cold??!!

Comment

Not at all. But the attrition rate is not as high as the replace rate, and replacements can always be placed in the home capital. Therefore, you do not lose.

Comment

It has been over 20 years since I last played that dog of a game. Our gaming group back then was very sharp. We played it many many times before finally figuring out how it sucked.

Comment

That was the only multi-player Napoleonic game available.
                  We were a core group of 5, so we played just about all the multi-player wargames of the times.

Comment

anyone played, la grande Armee?

Comment

does anyone have photos of the maps for the new games using the Napoleon's Last Battles system. Is this the system used in the old SPI game of the same name?

Comment

Originally posted by El.Cid View Post
                        Anyone interested in a good old PBEM of Empires in Arms?
                        I would be interested if I owned it.

Btw... Welcome aboard, El Cid.
                        My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Found a site selling boardgames. Some i have not heard of.

Napoleonic War Games
                          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Not a problem. For Empires, I supply the all that is needed, and I will use cyberboard or another generated map and counters.

Comment

This thread got me thinking about those great games I have out in my garage. I went out and grabbed my old copy of Ney V Wellington.

All the game pieces were there, and I set them all up on the map in accordance with the hex number or entry turn printed on the counter, but I remembered that there were some specific rules about skirmishers for both sides, such as the 95th Rifles deployed as skirmishers on the Allies left flank.

They must be in the rules. I open my old (1979) S&T magazine, but no rules! What, where can they be? Drag out my Wellington's Victory game box. All complete, but no B V W rules!

Check the magazine I box I keep my S&T magazines in. No rules! of no!

So, I have to issue an urgent call for assistance. Is there anyone out there with a copy of the N V W rules that they can scan and send me? Particularly the setup rules, it would be really appreciated.

As I have a purchased copy of the original game there would be no issue of copyright infringement, as it would be a replacement item.

Here's hoping someone has been more careful with their thirty year old games than me...

Regards,

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by King Billy View Post
                                This thread got me thinking about those great games I have out in my garage. I went out and grabbed my old copy of Ney V Wellington.

All the game pieces were there, and I set them all up on the map in accordance with the hex number or entry turn printed on the counter, but I remembered that there were some specific rules about skirmishers for both sides, such as the 95th Rifles deployed as skirmishers on the Allies left flank.

They must be in the rules. I open my old (1979) S&T magazine, but no rules! What, where can they be? Drag out my Wellington's Victory game box. All complete, but no B V W rules!

Check the magazine I box I keep my S&T magazines in. No rules! of no!

So, I have to issue an urgent call for assistance. Is there anyone out there with a copy of the N V W rules that they can scan and send me? Particularly the setup rules, it would be really appreciated.

As I have a purchased copy of the original game there would be no issue of copyright infringement, as it would be a replacement item.

Here's hoping someone has been more careful with their thirty year old games than me...

Regards,

Bill
                                Will e-mail them to you if you let me have an e-mail address!

Comment

Working...
                                X