Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Napoleonic Boardgames

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone interested in an Empires game. Looking for 2. Play by email. I have some rules that I want to try out. I want to add some uncertainty and a true feeling of campaigning in the 19th century. My rules will attempt to simulate this.

Comment

Another favourite of mine and a very old game...Avalon Hill's Waterloo

Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

I've never played this game but some guys I know always get together and play it.

Actually...they don't allow me to play, because I'm a girl.

Napoleonic Wars - Strategy War Game by GMT Games

The Napoleonic Wars, 1805 - 1815, brings you a fast-paced, tension-filled, card-driven wargame using a point-to-point movement system
        that pushes the envelope in a new direction for this pivotal period of history. Having a simple-to-learn strategic system and short rulebook,
        The Napoleonic Wars, can be played in an evening as the cards and Diplomatic Track make for tough decision-making in the face of everchanging enemy threats.

Set in 1805 Europe, you must weigh the strategic dilemmas facing the two alliances in mortal conflict.
        Napoleon's France enjoys a superb army, central position, superior leadership, and a useful, if not powerful, ally in Spain. However, she faces three foes.

Napoleon must beware of Britain's seapower and wealth, Austria's threatening position, and Russia's reinforcing hordes.
        In the wings, Prussia, Turkey, and Sweden teeter on the brink of war, begging inducements to join either side.
        Even lowly Denmark's fleet can upset the balance of power.

When fleets or armies collide, battle-related cards may be played and then dice are rolled to resolve the battle and inflict casualties.
        Even the most brilliant maneuver faces the chance of floundering.
        Your options are only limited by your vision, a meddlesome enemy's cards, and the hand of fate

This is a highly recommended Game for anyone who like this era and has received very high score marks in reviews.

http://www.sircollectalot.co.uk/Boar...prod_1040.html
        "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

French Revolution game

I recently stumbled on this game while browsing the net:

Revolution!

I was so in awe of the simplicity and - being a French Revolution buff -the historical 'feeling' of the game that I decided to order it right away!

I'll keep you all informed when I get it in...can't wait.

Greets,
          Stratego
          Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Here's another on they like to play...

Battle: The Napoleonic Wars (2008)

The Classic Just Got Better!

Will "the Guard" take the hill at Waterloo this time? Wellington called the battle "a near run thing," and in fact, many of the battles of the period were just that... close affairs that tilted on a key decision or a critical error.

Now, LBG gives you a chance to explore some of those great battles, with an evolution of a proven system. From Battle™ the American Civil War , now comes, Battle: The Napoleonic Wars™. Pick a battle, or make up your own — you have 24 geomorphic hex tiles, printed on both sides for a multitude of possible battlefield combination. Pick an army—you have five major nations to choose from, plus minor allies, each with the full range of troop types that make the period so interesting... each troop type offering different strengths or weaknesses. Use historical scenarios, explore the "what might have been" of great campaigns, or use a "points’ system to build your own optimal force.

The diceless combat system means it all depends on your tactical skill... to know how unit strength compares with terrain advantages and enemy capabilities. You may groan at an error, but you’ll never wail about bad die rolls—the results are entirely up to you and your opponent.

(Game description taken from Lost Battalion Games Website http://www.lostbattalion.com/t-lp_NapoleonicWars.aspx )

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Avalon Hill War and Peace

This is a great game, surprised no one has mentioned this Avalon Hill masterpiece yet.
              Attached Files
              If war is Hell, why was the Eastern Front so damned cold??!!

Comment

But what is a GREAT game?

Why would you recommend it?

Personally I'm not a fan of most Napoleonic wargames because the movements and actions are too complex. I hate games where you have to study the rules everytime you want to make a move.

Greets,
                Stratego
                Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by american1975 View Post
                  This is a great game, surprised no one has mentioned this Avalon Hill masterpiece yet.
                  good one
                  "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
                  Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Originally posted by american1975 View Post
                    Originally posted by Stratego View Post
                    But what is a GREAT game?

Why would you recommend it?

Personally I'm not a fan of most Napoleonic wargames because the movements and actions are too complex. I hate games where you have to study the rules everytime you want to make a move.

Greets,
                    Stratego
                    Yes, very good game and yes, it does have very complex rules to the game. It certainly isn't a game you can finish in one evening, that's for sure.

These vids will explain better than I ever can....

Comment

I liked the old AH Waterloo game. But it seemed that if the PAA was competent they could guarantee a win through preventing the French advance by sacrificially putting small units forward of the main body. A couple of small cannon holding up the entire French army.

I have GMT's Fading Glory on pre-order. It's a collection of four VP Nap-20 games; Salamanca, Smolensk, Borodino, Waterloo, cleaned up with improved production value. Here is the old VP Games version of one of them.

Last edited by Duncan; 09 Oct 11, 14:34.

Comment

SPI's Ney v Wellington from S&T magazine concerning Quatre Bras (a simpler version of Wellington's Victory)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Prinz Essling; 10 Oct 11, 03:21.

Comment

SPI's Napoleon's Art of War from the S&T Magazine coverng Dresden & Eylau
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm waiting for your game to be published, Jason.

I like tactical games that are realistic, but sometimes they are too realistic/complex for my enjoyment.
                            My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

I've got:
                              Wellington's Victory (the boxed version) Massive, need at least a table tennis table to fit all of the maps on it.

Ney V Wellington, same system, small game, played lots of times,

War and Peace, some counters almost worn out,

Played Command and Colors, Napoleonics a couple of times. Not sure that it works that well. Very hard to attack. Won Waterloo as the French only because the British tried to force (their) right flank, using his cavalry to try and take out a couple of my guns.

It is a pity Wellington's Victory isn't a module on VASSAL.

Comment

Originally posted by Widow Maker View Post
                                good one
                                My Father got me interested in war gaming and history through this game, as well as many others...He spent alot of time creating his own reinforcement and counter boards to make it more playable. The stacks could become rather confusing otherwise.
                                If war is Hell, why was the Eastern Front so damned cold??!!

Comment

Working...
                                X