Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Famous Siege of Leningrad photos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Siege of Leningrad photos

People's Militia on the streets of Leningrad (Staro-Kalinkin bridge in the background)

AA guns on the University embankment. St. Isaac's cathedral, Bronze Horseman and Senate/Synod building in the background across the river. Author Tarasevich.V.S. 1942

Barrage balloon on Ligovsky prospect and Razyezzhaya street crossing. The poster says "Death to child killers!". Author Fesoseev V. 1943

Meeting of the armies of Leningrad and Volkhov fronts, Workers' Settlement 1 or 5 near Sinyavino, January 18, 1943. Author Nordstein A.S.

Dmitry Shostakovich as a volunteer firefighter. September 1941.

Picture of a starving man. If memory serves me right, he was a documentary studio employee and he was not even thirty.

Funeral procession on the Nevsky prospect. Author Strunnikov S.N.

Funeral procession on the Nevsky prospect.

Not exactly a wartime photo, but I think it's relevant here. The diary of Tanya Savicheva.

Translation of the entries:

“Grandma died on the 25th of January at 3’o’clock 1942.”

“Leka died on the 17th of March at 5 in the morning. 1942.”

“Uncle Vasya died on the 13th of April at 2 in the afternoon. 1942.”

“Uncle Lyusha died on the 10th of May at 4 in the afternoon. 1942.”

“Mom died on the 13th of March at 7:30 in the morning. 1942”

“ Everyone died . Only Tanya is left .”

More about Tanya Savicheva and her diary /in English/
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

These are good pics ShAA. Rep going your way!

Comment

Thanks! Here are some more of them, maybe not so famous and iconic, but they can still tell a lot about the life in the besieged city.

This is not a wartime photo again, but a picture of the memorial to Tanya Savicheva. The picture is mine, and the memorial was designed by Melnikov P.I and built in 1975

And here are some pictures from the by Alexander Nikitin called "Unknown Siege. Leningrad in 1941-1944"

An airbomb crater on Fontanka river embankment. September 9, 1941. Author Vasyutinsky B. (propably next to the Summer Garden)

Corner of Nevsky and Ligovsky prospects. The first victims of Nazi shellings. September 1941. Author D. Trakhtenberg

Autumn 1941, Palace square. Residents of frontline areas drive their livestock north, away from bombings and shellings. Author N. Khandogin

T-34 going to the frontline. Crossing of the Nevsky prospect and Sadovaya street. Gostiny Dvor galleries can be seen in the background. A heavy caliber shell explosion killed 43 people on this spot on August 3, 1943.

An apartment destroyed by artillery fire. Author D. Trakhtenberg

Trolley-buses standing frozen on the Nevsky prospect. In December regular power supply to residential areas was stopped and all remaining voltage was provided exclusively to factories, hospitals and other critically important facilities. Author D. Trakhtenberg

Getting water from a hole in the ice right in the middle of the Neva river. The Point of Vasilievsky island is in the background - there you can see the Stock Exchange and the Rostral columns. Water pipes and sewers froze in December 1941, and water immediately became a valuable commodity that the starving people had to get by walking long distances to a river/canal or a street water tap. Author N. Khandogin

Farewell to a peer. Spring 1942. Author D. Tarasevich

The work of medical brigades on the Nevsky prospect. After the corpse is removed, the firefighters will wash the blood away with water hoses. Author N. Khandogin

Bidding farewell to the soldiers departing to the front. In the background you can see one of the masterpieces of Soviet avant-garde constructivist architecture of 1920s - the House of Soviets of the Narvsky district.

Children of besieged Leningrad. The poster says: "Warrior of the Red Army, save us!"
      Last edited by ShAA; 05 Apr 09, 18:28. Reason: Descriptions added
      www.histours.ru

Comment

nice pics

Comment

Very powerful images, thanks for sharing.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.

Comment

Leningrad now and then

Here is a set of amazing photo collages made by a St. Petersburg photographer Sergey Larenkov. He painstakingly searched for the angle and point that the wartime pictures were taken from and managed to combine the old and the new pictures quite seamlessly.

www.histours.ru

Comment

www.histours.ru

Comment

Wow. I call that the "Ghosts of Leningrad" series.

Comment

Some notes:

The kids on roller scooters are riding past a fence around an unexploded mine - that's what the warning writing on the fence says.

On another picture the writing on the wall says: "Citizens! This side of the street is the most dangerous during artillery shelling".

As the German heavy artillery was located to the south of the city, and the Nevsky prospect and many other streets went from West to East, the shells either fell on the northern side of a street or hit a building on its southern side. One of such painted signs was preserved as a historical reminder of the war and is repainted every year on Victory day, May 9. In fact it is a meter away from the original place - not that it really matters though.

Here is a picture of one of these signs being painted over after the lifting of the Siege in January 1944

And here is the preserved one

These collages beside their historical/educational value also tell about the memory of these days that is still alive, and how incredibly complex is the situation with the Russians' attitude to their past and present.
                  www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                    As the German heavy artillery was located to the south of the city, and the Nevsky prospect and many other streets went from West to East, the shells either fell on the northern side of a street or hit a building on its southern side.
                    Learn something new every day. I would have never thought of this.

Comment

Leningrad survived!!

Amazing pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                        Learn something new every day. I would have never thought of this.
                        Its well implanted in tactics, that's why, say a rocket battery will deploy in a reverse slope so that counter artillery wouldn't hit them.

Great pics!
                        I especially like the now and then ones. keep it up

Comment

Thank you Lt. Golani

Comment

Siege in the films

Here are some clips from a 1970ies film called "The Siege". Frankly, I didn't like it from the artistic point of view, but they still made an effort to highlight all the most important events of the Siege and did it quite literally. But their use JS-3's instead of (I suppose) KV's is rather strange, given the considerable supply of T-34/85s in the country at that time.

In this clip with a song in the background women are digging anti-tank trenches around the city in August 1941. Several tens thousands of them volunteered in the labour army to aid the army in the defending the city. German planes strafed the women with almost complete impunity as there were no anti-aircraft defenses to protect them. One of the women reads a leaflet with an authentic propaganda poem that was printed by the Germans at the time: "Russian madames/Don't dig your little holes for us/Our tanks will come/and fill them in".

This clip shows the storming of the left German-controlled bank of the Neva river that started at 11am, January 18, 1943. The German defensive positions and bunkers had been thoroughly reconnoitered, and after a 2-hour artillery barrage there was only one German machine-gun left, and it was destroyed by direct fire of the guns, that had been secretly pulled to the front line. And the troops had been trained to cross a similar distance (about 600 meters) in 5 minutes at the order of Major General Simonyak, commander of the 136rd rifle division. In fact, the number of casualties during the river crossing was probably even lower than it is shown in this clip, as all sources point out that "almost no one was killed". And the german bank was so heavily bombed it was not as slippery as shown in the film. As for the regimental band playing "The Internationale", this was indeed the sign for the infantry attack, so it's not a propaganda insert.

www.histours.ru

Comment

Amazing pics and video ShAA! It's great to see things from the Russian point-of-view! Appreciate you sharing these.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X