Veteran's Day Freedom Walk-Long Beach, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran's Day Freedom Walk-Long Beach, CA

Pictures from the Veteran's Day event in Long Beach Ca 2008.
    Attached Files
    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Aircraft on a pole

I've got a friend who collects pictures of airplanes and helicopters mounted
    on poles. Anybody got some good ones to share. I had the one of the
    helicopter in this group of pic's.
    17thAirborneSon

Comment

Anyone else attend a parade with a Freedom Walk?

Originally posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
      Pictures from the Veteran's Day event in Long Beach Ca 2008.
      More info:

Anyone else attend a parade with a Freedom Walk?

Public Opportunity to Honor Our Troops

This year, the celebration of Veteran’s Day in Long Beach, California offered the public a special, personal way to honor our troops.

At the conclusion of the twelfth annual Long Beach Veterans Day Parade, members of the public were invited to follow the veterans along their route in the first “Freedom Walk in Support of Our Troops.” The Freedom Walk, arranged in conjunction with the Long Beach Veterans Day Committee, gave the public an opportunity to express its appreciation for the service of our troops. It was an event that unified all participants as they remembered the men and women who have and continue torisk their lives daily to protect the freedoms that we enjoy. .

The Freedom Walk experience—a way for each of us to not only show support for our troops but to more deeply connect with the liberties that we value so highly.
      17thAirborneSon

Comment

Hello 17th.
        Wow this thread woke me up!
        Small world.
        That's the North Long Beach Veteran's Parade.
        That's Houghton Park on Atlantic Avenue.
        I go by that helicopter every day to go to work at Jordan High.
        How cool!
        There is more stuff.
        We also have a POW rock on campus.
        Plus, there is a nice Veteran's Mural across the street from the helicopter next to the dollar store.
        Plus, there is a USMC fighter plane on a pole at the end of my block in Lakewood.
        I'll go take a quick picture of it and come back.
        Plus, there is a POW memorial with it.
        Let me get some clothes on...
        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

THanks!!

Wow this thread woke me up!
          Small world.
          That's the North Long Beach Veteran's Parade.
          That's Houghton Park on Atlantic Avenue.
          I go by that helicopter every day to go to work at Jordan High.

Plus, there is a USMC fighter plane on a pole at the end of my block in Lakewood.
          I'll go take a quick picture of it and come back.
          Plus, there is a POW memorial with it.
          Let me get some clothes on...[/QUOTE]

Thanks!
          17thAirborneSon

Comment

By the way......

I once met Del Taco Dan...... oh, that Del Taco, not Taco Bell
            Sorry!!!
            17thAirborneSon

Comment

MIA- Paul Paskiewicz

I've got a second cousin who was lost somewhere in Italy. Fighter pilot in WWII. See my albums. I fly the POW/MIA flag at my house. Also,
              search (parachute packed) at see what you think (forums search, of course)

Adios for now.

17th
              17thAirborneSon

Comment

Aircraft on a pole.

Here you go 17th.
                A quickie.
                I'm back from the park.
                I scanned some more which I will post asap.
                But first, I need a soda, and a baloney sandwich.

Comment

Classic (thumb shot)

Thanks for the pic. I'll see my buddy tonight at the BSA meeting.
                  By the way.......don't think they have bologna sandwiches at Taco Bell?

17th
                  17thAirborneSon

Comment

Del Valle Park
                    Del Valle Park is located on the corner of Arbor St. and Woodruff Ave. in the center of Lakewood. The park was dedicated in 1957 and is named after Jose del Valle, a liberator and statesman of Honduras. This popular park is also known as “Airplane Park” for the Douglas F3D "Skyknight" jet fighter proudly displayed on the southwest corner of the park.

The jet in 'Airplane Park'

It seems fitting that Lakewood’s memorial, in the form of a Marine Corps jet fighter from the Korean Conflict, should be a decommissioned Douglas Aircraft Company F3D “Skynight” fighter -- originally a gift from the Defense Department. It began its history in Lakewood as a giant play structure for youngsters at Del Valle Park.

The jet came in 1959, painted black from its night fighter role but stripped of its operating gear and engines, and delivered to Del Valle Park as a contribution of the Navajo Freight Lines company (which explains why, for many years, the company’s logo of a Navajo portrait was painted on the sides of the plane).

Some youngsters, like Dennis Lander—whose poem “The Boys of Del Valle Park” is now part of the memorial—remember playing on and in the jet as it lay on the park grounds. But, jets aren’t jungle gyms, and the plane soon began to deteriorate and become a source of concern regarding playtime injuries. In 1963, the refurbished plane was lifted on to a concrete pylon, nose up as if taking off over Woodruff Avenue, and repainted in Marine Corps colors and insignia. On Memorial Day 1964, the jet and pylon were officially dedicated as a memorial to those from Lakewood who had fought in the Korean Conflict. With the help of American Legion Post 496, Del Valle Park then became the location for annual Memorial Day programs.

In 1972, as the Vietnamese War began drew to a close, the city council honored Captain Darrel Pyle, then a captive of the North Vietnamese government, and placed a plaque recognizing his prisoner of war status near the pylon. He safely returned from Vietnam at the war’s end in 1973.

The city also began the tradition of recognizing the young men of Lakewood who had fallen in Vietnam at the Memorial Day observances jointly sponsored by the city and Lakewood’s veterans organizations.

Memories of all of America’s conflicts in the twentieth century eventually gathered at the Del Valle memorial. A generous contribution from the family of the Reverend Dr. John Bonner provided a plaque that specifically recalled the contributions of World War II veterans.

My words below.

Every Memorial Day, there is a special ceremony at the airplane honoring Vet's etc.
                    Gold Star Mothers are especially welcome.
                    There are guest speakers, school bands, ROTC etc.

Here are some quick pictures I took today.
                    I live one block away.
                    If you guys come visit, we can go there, and come back to my house for a barbecue, and we can post here at ACG.
                    It was raining, but I sucked it up.

Last edited by Slug; 16 Feb 09, 18:27.

Comment

Another one in Santa Ana, Ca

Hey there Slug,

A buddy of mine helped to restore the fuselage of this fighter before it went on display.

see attachment: I haven't figured out how to embed a picture yet.

An attack-jet memorial dedicated this morning as a soaring salute to Orange County’s military past began as an oversized idea from a police captain with a flair for thinking big.

Santa Ana Capt. Dan McCoy came up with the idea of installing an honest-to-God attack jet in the Civic Center Plaza a decade ago. He found one collecting dust in the desert, talked the U.S. Navy into loaning it for a monument and created a foundation that raised $250,000 to pay for it all.

The jet, a single-seat A-4 Skyhawk, rests on a concrete pedestal as a tribute to the Marines who served at El Toro and Tustin air bases. Painted on its fuselage is a cartoonish flying red bull, the insignia of El Toro Marine Corps Air Station.

excerpt of article from the OC Register

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...mmendedOnly=0#

Semper Fi
                      Attached Files
                      17thAirborneSon

Comment

The parade was great but I would like to see some good pics. My email is [email protected] Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X