The Falling Soldier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Falling Soldier

I'm sure that most of you have seen this photo called The Falling Soldier. He was Federico Borrell García, he was shot by Nationalist soldiers while defending an artillery battery on September 5th 1936. He was identified in the photo by his brother.

Photo taken by Robert Capa

One of the most famous photographs of the Spanish Civil War.
    War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Undoubtedly one of Capa's most famous photos, ranked right up there with his photos from Omaha beach.
      Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

I heard that this photo is actually fake, because it's staged. However, it's certainly true that the guy in the picture died during the Spanish Civil War.

Comment

I heard that photo was the insperation for the poster for Gallipoli
          "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
          "

Comment

Err Viktorious ?

The controversy raged for years. It was only after Franco's death that the family dared to identify him, the only Republican soldier killed in that sector on that day.

For half a century they kept quiet for fear of reprisal, and Capa died not knowing he'd been vindicated (he stood on a landmine in Indo-China (Vietnam) in 1951).

Capa's advice to an aspiring photographer still rings true, "If your photos aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."
            Last edited by the ace; 06 Jan 09, 13:13.
            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Viktorious View Post
              I heard that this photo is actually fake, because it's staged. However, it's certainly true that the guy in the picture died during the Spanish Civil War.
              The pitcture was a fake.
              A few years ago they found Capas original stock camera negatives. On it the same scene was repeated several times. (Unless he was shot three times and got up every time ) I don’t remember but I think the guy died in reality later during the day.
              "Charley Dont´t Surf."

Comment

The so-called "falling soldier" was not photographed near Cerro Muriano in Andalusia, as has been claimed, but about 50km to the south-west, near the town of Espejo far from the frontline on a day when there was no military action, a Catalan newspaper claims.
                "Capa photographed his soldier at a location where there was no fighting," wrote the daily El Periodico on Friday. The paper carried out a detailed study of Capa's pictures taken in September 1936, three months after the conflict broke out.
                "The real location, some 10km from an inactive battle front, demonstrates that the death was not real," the paper says. The claim is backed with photos taken very recently on a hillside near Espejo that show a mountainous skyline that appears to match exactly that of Capa's photo.

From The Indepentent

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X