More medical kits recommendations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More medical kits recommendations...

This time I'm looking for ointments and drops that would be good to have. Again, the parameters are:

1. What's good. Prescription or not.

2. Don't lecture me about seeing a doctor, getting medical advice, etc. If you don't like my idea, move on to another thread.

Also what is some good anti-parasite medication?

Thanks
    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

I'm not sure what your objective is with this thread. However, in my world travels I carry (1) an emergency "medical" kit and (2) a blood pathogen kit. This includes several types of antibiotics, ointments, drops, epi-pen, etc. I also use Malarone when I am in malaria infested areas, etc. See http://www.traveldoc.com/products/kits.aspx and download the PDF. Then add other items for your specific case.

In my off-time I do a lot of adventure type of motorcycle riding (see ADVrider.com for examples of these types of rides). On the bike I carry a First Aid kit specifically designed for motorcycle accidents so it can be used on me, or for me to use on another. See http://www.survival-gear.com/hunters-first-aid-kit.htm Then add specific items for your case. The hunter's kits are good for motorcyclists since they have more items for massive bleeding type of accidents. However, I had to add a tourniquet.

If you could explain your objective I could probably help you out by suggesting items from my different kits.

What's with the attitude on the lecturing?

BTW, I have been to Penang and have worked in KL and Miri, and have been up and down the peninsula.
    Last edited by Alatriste; 13 Mar 10, 09:26.

Comment

Thanks for the input...

You should check a prior thread on this. As you're probably aware from traveling in Malaysia; you can buy most anything over the counter here. On that thread I asked what medically knowledgeable folks would recommend for a comprehensive medical kit, including antibiotics and such. That was pretty well answered.

As for "the lecture"? I knew some Yank wouldn't be able to keep from admonishing me on doing this without a doctor's advice, etc. I know enough about my familys' medical info and basic medical knowledge to know what we can and cannot handle on our own. We end up in some pretty wild, desolate spots (next month we're heading off for a romp in Sabah) and I want to be thoroughly prepared. And, sure as ****; even though I said not to and why; someone ad to give me the lecture. Which completely pissed me off. So I hoped my warning would keep the "mother hens" away.

As to my question. I know have a good supply of oral antibiotics, med supplies, and such. I realized that I don't have any creams, drops, etc. So I hoped to get some suggestions there. I also didn't have any specific anti-parasite drugs. We have the basic one you mentioned for malaria; but that's pretty specific for malaria. I was wondering if there's a more broad spectrum one for other parasite caused infections.

I ope that clarifies things. I'd suggest you check out the earlier thread on this forum. I got lots of great suggestions.

Comment

Yeah, I checked out the other thread after I posted. Also left you a reply on the concealed handgun license thread. I guess you were expecting a lecture there as well.

Sabah & Sarawak are pretty good places to tramp around. You probably know what you need already. I don't know of a general parasite treatment. Malaria you already know about. What I do in addition to the anti-malarials is also use DDT on my exposed skin surfaces (you can get this stuff mixed with a sun blocking agent), and I also spray my clothes with permethrin. As for ointments and gels. Consider (1) something for toothaches, (2) an antibiotic gel/cream, (3) glue or loctite to stop the bleeding on cuts and scrapes.

Generally my risk management scenario goes like this:

1. Preventive items like Malarone, vaccines, etc., before ingress.
        2. Items for immediate onsite aid. Like specialized first aid kits.
        3. Method of evacuation to local facilities if second level of treatment is needed other than First Aid.
        4. Insurance for second level treatment in foreign country to cover costs.
        5. Evacuation back to US for second level or higher treatment if needed.

So as an example using the sequence above for me.

1. All shots updated, and ingestion of anti-malarials.
        2. First aid kit(s) supplemented with epi-pen, Ciproflaxicn, Amoxicillin, tourniquet, extra large gauze.
        3. Cell phone, international service to call for help, SPOT beacon locator to ping for help.
        4. International health insurance to cover emergency hospitalization outside of the US, supplemented for motorcycle specific accidents.
        5. MedJet Assist membership to get me back to the US if I don't like the local hospital. Also used for body recovery in case of death and MedJet will also recover the bike.

Comment

Ok...

Looks like we do pretty much the same thing. Luckily we have good international insurance through my wife's job. And we're certainly all up on our vaccinations. Heck I went through the whole rabies sequence just before we left Vietnam in June. I'd had the vaccine earlier. Then as we were preparing to move, my cat bit me and I got a nasty infection. Even though I knew he didn't have rabies the doctors were pretty insistent that I get the two more shots. After all that we didn't take him with us! Biting me was one thing, but destroying the wife's rattan couch....

He still had a full set of claws. We picked him up as a stray in Shanghai. There the vets (British) would neuter him, but not declaw him. They said that it was too cruel. Tough argument for me to see. I mean after neutering; what would really count as too cruel???

Comment

Originally posted by Sino Invasion View Post
            ...but not declaw him. They said that it was too cruel. Tough argument for me to see. I mean after neutering; what would really count as too cruel???
            Both of our kitty-kats are declawed up front. They are fine. They are indoor cats, spoiled and loving, no trauma at all. They told us so, honest

Comment

Looks like we do pretty much the same thing. Luckily we have good international insurance through my wife's job. And we're certainly all up on our vaccinations. Heck I went through the whole rabies sequence just before we left Vietnam in June. I'd had the vaccine earlier. Then as we were preparing to move, my cat bit me and I got a nasty infection. Even though I knew he didn't have rabies the doctors were pretty insistent that I get the two more shots. After all that we didn't take him with us! Biting me was one thing, but destroying the wife's rattan couch....

He still had a full set of claws. We picked him up as a stray in Shanghai. There the vets (British) would neuter him, but not declaw him. They said that it was too cruel. Tough argument for me to see. I mean after neutering; what would really count as too cruel???
              Well it would depend on if you're going to let the kitty be an outdoor cat; if so they need their front claws. They are close to defenseless without them against a whole bunch of critters even just here in Vermont (skunks, raccoons, larger birds-of-prey, to name a few).
              How far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without?-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

This time I'm looking for ointments and drops that would be good to have. Again, the parameters are:

1. What's good. Prescription or not.

2. Don't lecture me about seeing a doctor, getting medical advice, etc. If you don't like my idea, move on to another thread.

Also what is some good anti-parasite medication?

Thanks
                I was a stretcher bearer at one time in WW2 and my first aid kit was very basic. A few rolls of bandages a roll of lint to use as pads, scissors, tweezers and a very large glass bottle of a pale brown liquid called Aqua Flavine, which I suspected was watered down iodine! Useful for everything from wounds to boils to Housemaids knee too I suspect!!
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Adventure Medical kit

I like adventure trips.The one thing which i would like to take on my adventure trip is my adventure kit.It has Bandage Materials ,1 Aloe Vera Gel with Lidocaine, 1 oz,2 GlacierGel (Small Rectangular),1 Molefoam, 3" x 5",22 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped and in medication it includes 5 Acetaminophen (500 mg), Pkg./2,3 After Bite Wipe,1 Antacid, Pkg./12,6 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg),2 Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2,5 Cold Medicine, Medicidin-D, Pkg./2,3 Cortisone Cream 1%, 1/32 oz (.9 g),6 Diamode (Loperamide HCI 2 mg), Pkg./1,1 Glutose Paste (Glucose 15 g),5 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2,1 Instructions, Easy Care Medications,2 Oral Rehydration Salts , and many more

Comment

sdsdsd

Comment

Huh???

Not sure I get you here my friend. Clarify???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X