No announcement yet.

Discussion On PTSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everybody is put together differently than everyone else. What may have one person screaming into the night like a baby...........might just simply put a grin on someone elses face.
    Nothing i'd like better than to milk some money out of the government for a ptsd claim,and i'm sure I could convince them.........but in my mind it has not reached any kind of level that has affected my life. Hell, watching that lame documentary by Burns has pissed me off more than anything in that war did..........

Always liked what a combat Marine told me while we were talking about all the guys from Iraq putting in for PTSD. He said most of the guys he knew that were messed up were that way before they went into service. If this purple heart winner who lived in a hole in the ground for a year and survived two major battles and numerous ambushes and firefights {i'll spare the gory details he sometimes let slip} and he does not feel he needs help for PTSD......Then I sure as hell don't.
    Bottom line. If you feel you cannot exist in society without help for PTSD....then seek help. I would be the last to condemn you.......

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
      Symptoms of intrusive memories may include:

Recurrent, unwanted distressing memories of the traumatic event

Reliving the traumatic event as if it were happening again (flashbacks)
      I have those symptoms when I think about the two candidates we had in the last Presidential election....................

Comment

Should be worth about 5% disability.

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
        I have those symptoms when I think about the two candidates we had in the last Presidential election....................
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

You have won the thread!
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Always liked what a combat Marine told me while we were talking about all the guys from Iraq putting in for PTSD. He said most of the guys he knew that were messed up were that way before they went into service.
            That makes tremendous sense.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              Movies are just stories told to make money. War Movies tend to follow the same lame script: the hero who bleeds out gasping some profound, meaningful wisdom or heart-touching farewell, the goober who makes good, the good soldier who loses himself, and the iron-jawed natural leader who is marked by the war but manfully rallies before the credits roll..
              At least the hollywood guff gives us plenty of things to discuss and poke fun at. Also, I'm sure some of the ludicrous fictional characters have inspired generations of servicemen NOT to be like them..
              For example Capt. Cooney (Eddie Albert) was totally yellow in "Attack", we saw him at the start of the film sitting in a jeep while his subordinate was begging him on the radio to send reinforcements, but he was too chicken to give the order. What the hell was he scared of? It's not as if he had to lead the men in himself, he simply had to pick up the radio and say "Go"!
              No wonder Jack Palance later threatened to ram a grenade down his throat and pull the pin..

PS- On the other side of the coin, some fictional hollywood characters can inspire people, for example I like Sgt Barnes philosophy in 'Platoon', he's an inspiration not just for servicemen but for ordinary people in everyday life..-

"Take the pain! TAKE THE PAIN!"
              Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 08 Nov 17, 02:17.

Comment

Barnes ??
                You're kidding?
                Elias yes , for a Christian like you are.
                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                  Barnes ??
                  You're kidding?
                  Elias yes , for a Christian like you are.
                  Elias (Willem Dafoe) was a bleeding-heart softy who was obstructing Barne's efforts to win Nam , so no wonder Barnes fragged him..
                  If America had had a bunch more men like Barnes, Charlie wouldn't have stood a chance.
                  One real-life Barnes type was Lt William Calley (below), he was cleaning out the Cong village of My Lai when some snowflake chopper pilot hovering above tried to order him to rein in his men, but Calley replied "Down here I run the show!" and carried on, what a man..

Comment

The chopper's pilot is the real badass in this story.
                    He denounced a psycho when it would have been easier to stfu.
                    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
                      Elias (Willem Dafoe) was a bleeding-heart softy who was obstructing Barne's efforts to win Nam , so no wonder Barnes fragged him..
                      If America had had a bunch more men like Barnes, Charlie wouldn't have stood a chance.
                      One real-life Barnes type was Lt William Calley (below), he was cleaning out the Cong village of My Lai when some snowflake chopper pilot hovering above tried to order him to rein in his men, but Calley replied "Down here I run the show!" and carried on, what a man..

Getting excited by the mass murder of hundreds of civilians and the rapes of women and kids? Hard to know if you a troll, a bigoted moron or just historically ignorant. Sadly these are not exclusive on this forum. As Seb posted the helicopter crew were the heroes.
                      "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                      G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                      Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Did you know they marketed a song 'The Battle Hymn of Lieutenant Calley?'

Watching the movie, I find myself seeing Barnes' frustration with losing men earlier in the day and then that howling woman getting on his last freaking nerve as the villagers lie to him about the weapons and rice hidden in their village. Not that it excuses what he did in any way, but it made him very Human. Had he not been willing to murder Elias Barnes would have been a semi-sympathetic character, a man who lost his temper. But his killing of Elias showed his cold-blooded character, and casts into doubt the motivations of the earlier killing.

Comment

After reading about a Marine Drill Sergeant facing prison time for being rough on recruits, I wonder if the reason PTSD is higher is also related to failure by the military to prepare. Basic Training/Boot Camp is supposed to be a living hell, intended to expose a recruit to high levels of stress.

If your first exposure to real stress was in a firefight, that would certainly have a greater effect than someone who was well-prepared. Coupled with declining moral fiber that would put American personnel at a significant disadvantage to opponents who are emotionally and mentally tougher.

Which brings up another question: how are our enemies holding up? They face a massive disadvantage in technological and material capabilities, they have to worry about drone strikes, and their medical support if they are hit is primitive at best, and they have no tour rotation. Yet they keep coming.

Comment

Discussion On PTSD

Posts moved from: Thank You for Your Service 2017 movie review thread by warmoviebuff.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...24#post3423224
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

And didn't he make an appalling mess of it ? You call that good soldiering ?
                              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                                And didn't he make an appalling mess of it ? You call that good soldiering ?
                                Well, from a purely technical point of view Calley's command did a pretty efficient job on Mai Lai. Very few survived.

Interestingly, Calley's platoon sergeant was acquitted, no other enlisted man was tried, and Calley never served a day in jail. Of Calley's chain of command, only his company commander stood trial, and was acquitted despite 22 witnesses who stated they heard him order Calley to wipe out the village.

Jimmy Carter, then Governor, was a staunch Calley supporter.

There are a lot of interesting aspects to the case. I've never made up my mind whether the military was trying to make a scapegoat of Calley, or deliberately bungled the case.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X