• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emtos View Post

why 1975

Comment

Originally posted by nastle View Post

why 1975
      USSR was at his prime and not stagnant yet. USA was on a low after Vietnam and the West was behing in terms of weapons. From then the things get worse.
      There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

why 1975
        It was the Year Emtos introduced disco to Russia...
        http://englishrussia.com/2006/12/20/...n-disco-party/
        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

USSR was at his prime and not stagnant yet. USA was on a low after Vietnam and the West was behing in terms of weapons. From then the things get worse.
          but thats the political side
          in terms of conventional weapons tactical nukes there was HUGE disparity between WP and NATO in 1975

I think in purely military terms
          best time for WP in terms of tactical nukes is 1985 and best time for conventional weapons is 1989

Comment

One thing to remember is if the Soviet Union was actually in poor military shape, so was the US. The US had been upgrading its fleet of vehicles before Vietnam. Vietnam absorbed the money the Generals and Admirals were going to spend.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

in terms of conventional weapons tactical nukes there was HUGE disparity between WP and NATO in 1975

best time for WP in terms of tactical nukes is 1985 and best time for conventional weapons is 1989
              The disparity wasn't that huge. In terms of conventional weapons it was also better in 1975 before NATO get new generation weapons.

Comment

i think the larger number of SS-20, SS-23 and SS-12 by 1985 were a serious threat to NATO airpower by 1985 and the soviets did not have such numbers in 1975

Comment

That seems a surprising statement since in 1989 the US military was at its peak after the post-Vietnam reforms while the USSR was on the verge of collapse. I doubt minorities like Georgians would even had fought - if not turned their weapons on the Russians. IMO the 70s was the time when the Warsaw Pact would have won a conventional war.

Comment

During the 70's, the Soviet Union had a 15:1 superiority in armor, infantry, artillery and aircraft over the forces stationed in Europe. REFORGER was a standing joke since getting them to Europe required air superiority which we were not going to have since our bases were less than 15 minutes from East Bloc airfields, and we kept everything assembled in huge motor pools in long straight lines perfect for air strikes, especially chemical strikes. We had zero decon capability at my brigade.

Thee were a lot of tactical assumptions that weren't based on reality at all, but on some sort of chest-pounding rah-rah sens of superiority on our part, and yet my brigade was calculated to be entirely wiped out with 48 - 72 hours while waiting for REFORGER troops to reach their pre-positioned stacks, the locations of which were known to everyone, and which were parked, again, in huge formations of vehicles and equipment.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      During the 70's, the Soviet Union had a 15:1 superiority in armor, infantry, artillery and aircraft over the forces stationed in Europe. REFORGER was a standing joke since getting them to Europe required air superiority which we were not going to have since our bases were less than 15 minutes from East Bloc airfields, and we kept everything assembled in huge motor pools in long straight lines perfect for air strikes, especially chemical strikes. We had zero decon capability at my brigade.

I can see how having stuff in nice straight lines helps a conventional strike but what difference does it make to chemical ones? Please explain.
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Thee were a lot of tactical assumptions that weren't based on reality at all, but on some sort of chest-pounding rah-rah sens of superiority on our part, and yet my brigade was calculated to be entirely wiped out with 48 - 72 hours while waiting for REFORGER troops to reach their pre-positioned stacks, the locations of which were known to everyone, and which were parked, again, in huge formations of vehicles and equipment.
                        Warsaw Pact never had a superiority like that. Not even 2 to 1. NATO had 60% more population than Warsaw Pact and bigger ressources. Such ratio is pure nonsense.

Comment

Warsaw Pact never had a superiority like that. Not even 2 to 1. NATO had 60% more population than Warsaw Pact and bigger ressources. Such ratio is pure nonsense.
                          He was there on the ground at the time. I tend to believe him.

Comment

A lot would depend on what you counted in NATO and the Warsaw Pact. Most people in NATO would count the Warsaw Pact Armies and Soviet Forces in the Western USSR. Reserve troops can also be juggled.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              A lot would depend on what you counted in NATO and the Warsaw Pact. Most people in NATO would count the Warsaw Pact Armies and Soviet Forces in the Western USSR. Reserve troops can also be juggled.

Pruitt
                              I know the WP was regarded as a serious threat and We designated a flight of F-111's for the Fulda Gap armed with Agm-69's. We were not going to lose that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

He was there on the ground at the time. I tend to believe him.
                                He never seen what existed on the other side. Nor he had a global view on NATO side. Both past and present studies show that the difference wasn't that big.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X