Novorssiyk Sinking 1955

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novorssiyk Sinking 1955

In 1955, the Soviet ship the Novorssiyk sank as a result of an explosion and over 600 Soviet sailors perished. During WWII the ship was controlled by the Italians. After the explosion many theories developed as to what caused the explosion. The initial investigation revealed that the explosion was caused by “external underwater (non-contact, sea bottom) explosion of a charge equivalent to 1,000-1,200 kg of TNT”.

Below is an article which mentions the 5 popular theories for the explosion, and the fact that we will probably never know what caused the explosion.

1. A mine left over from WWII.
    2. A Torpedo attack
    3. Sabotage by Italian divers who were still upset about the loss of their ship from WWII.
    4. English sabotage
    5. The work of the KGB

http://rusnavy.com/history/events/no...iyskdemise.htm

In my opinion the leftover mine from WWII makes the most sense since those waters were mined during WWII, and 1955 was not too far removed from WWII so it makes sense that a leftover mine would still be in those waters.

Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
    In 1955, the Soviet ship the Novorssiyk sank as a result of an explosion and over 600 Soviet sailors perished. During WWII the ship was controlled by the Italians. After the explosion many theories developed as to what caused the explosion. The initial investigation revealed that the explosion was caused by “external underwater (non-contact, sea bottom) explosion of a charge equivalent to 1,000-1,200 kg of TNT”.

Below is an article which mentions the 5 popular theories for the explosion, and the fact that we will probably never know what caused the explosion.

1. A mine left over from WWII.
    2. A Torpedo attack
    3. Sabotage by Italian divers who were still upset about the loss of their ship from WWII.
    4. English sabotage
    5. The work of the KGB

http://rusnavy.com/history/events/no...iyskdemise.htm

In my opinion the leftover mine from WWII makes the most sense since those waters were mined during WWII, and 1955 was not too far removed from WWII so it makes sense that a leftover mine would still be in those waters.
    An interesting thread. This was not the first time this happened in the Black Sea. The WWI battleship Imperatriza Maria blew up in 1916 while in harbour in Sevastopol. It was destroyed by a magazine explosion and used as scrap iron. I wonder if mines from previous wars, which used more primitve technology, might have caused this.

From the report, it seems that there may have been two explosions and not just one. The mystery would be, did the second explosion cause the ship listing to starboard to suddenly lean over to port? Not certain if the USSR's record are more than paperwork, but the handling of the crisis by the Vice-Admirals is criminal. Nice historical fact though.
    When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nº 8
    Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
    "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

The version with Italian sabotage looks as the most probable to me.
      There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

I find it hard.Italians attacks usually used at best half of explosives that sink Novorssiyk (200-300kg for team,which acted in pairs) in their attacks,and they attached charges on ships,not below them.

Germans used 960kg bottom mines for example,and they last much longer that magnetic mines.Entire that area was full of mines.

Italians were in no means capable of mounting such risky operations.I am not sure they even had submarines in that period,and if they had,they would be SSK type.

I don't believe Britain would fear single WW1 era battleship in Black Sea,in very bad shape by the way.

Definitively mine sink it.
        It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
        Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X