Historiography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historiography

I am about to start a class in Historiography in my march towards a Master's in Military History focusing on war since 1945. Can anyone point me to some good readings on historiography in general?

Thanks

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
    I am about to start a class in Historiography in my march towards a Master's in Military History focusing on war since 1945. Can anyone point me to some good readings on historiography in general?

Thanks
    Not a clue. Perhaps check in at the CGSC library or check the required reading list for starts.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Not a clue. Perhaps check in at the CGSC library or check the required reading list for starts.
      I have..the "required" list is short, and only one of those is @ the CARL library. Most readings are historiographies of specific wars or battles, which I guess can give me more insight.

Although it is referred to as "the study of the history and methodology of the discipline of history", it is also referred to as "the study of the way history has been and is written — the history of historical writing... When you study 'historiography' you do not study the events of the past directly, but the changing interpretations of those events in the works of individual historians."

I'm really looking forward to this class, as it seems an entertaining and unique look at common historical events.
      Last edited by CPangracs; 13 May 10, 13:17.

Comment

A good, if sometimes infuriating, book in general historiography is E.H. Carr's What Is History. Another is David Hackett Fischer's Historians' Fallacies: Towards a Logic of Historical Thought.

There is also OSU's graduate reading lists for military history:

http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/...gram/links.htm
        "The legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace." General William T. Sherman , 20 July 1865

Comment

Thanks
          If you have not done so yet, get familiar with the "Annales School" of French historiography; it can be painful, but it is a must for any history student Curt.

Here is a list of some books for you:

Historiography: ancient, medieval, & modern
          Ernst Breisach - 2007 - 503 pages
          In this pioneering work, Ernst Breisach presents an effective, well-organized, and concise account of the development of historiography in Western culture.
          books.google.com - Book overview - Preview

Modern historiography: an introduction
          Michael Bentley - 1999 - 182 pages
          In a unique overview of modern historiography, the book includes surveys on the Enlightenment and Counter Enlightenment; Romanticism; the voice of Science and the process of secularization within Western intellectual thought; the influence ...

Historiography
          N. Jayapalan - 2004 - 138 pages
          The Book Deals With All Aspects Of Historiography. In This Book The Chapterisation Is Clearly Made So As To Indicate The Meaning, Scope And Value Of History In An Exemplary Manner.

Historiography in the twentieth century: from scientific ...
          Georg G. Iggers - 2005 - 198 pages
          In this book, now published in 10 languages, a preeminent intellectual historian examines the profound changes in ideas about the nature of history and historiography.

Companion to historiography
          Michael Bentley - 2003 - 1024 pages
          Now in paperback this work gives readers a definitive overview of the most important developments in the techniques of and approaches to historical writing.

Historiography: a history of historical writing
          Tej Ram Sharma - 2005 - 188 pages

Liberation historiography: African American writers and the ...
          John Ernest - 2004 - 426 pages
          As the story of the United States was recorded in pages written by white historians, early-nineteenth-century African American writers faced the task of piecing together a counterhistory: an approach to history that would present both the ...

Historiography of imperial Russia: the profession and writing of ...
          Thomas Sanders - 1999 - 521 pages
          This collection of the best new and recent work on historical consciousness and practice in late Imperial Russia assembles the building blocks for a fundamental reconceptualization of Russian history and history writing.

The historiography of contemporary science and technology
          Thomas Söderqvist - 1997 - 264 pages
          More than 90 percent of all scientific history has been made during the last half century.

In Defense of History
          Richard J. Evans - 2000 - 287 pages
          Presents the different ways in which history is explored, researched, documented, and proven through various tests and intense investigations.
          The first book on this list is virtually a "must read".

http://www.google.com/search?q=histo...k&ved=0CAcQpwU
          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

The Briesach and Bentley texts are the core books for the class.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this class, as it seems an entertaining and unique look at common historical events.
              That's the spirit
              I recommend Briesach in particular.
              He will teach you in his introduction (easily the most important part of his book) why we historians are such important people, especially during the nineteenth century.
              For all that Briesach could have been a Marxist, as 'Communism is a society where historians have taken over'
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

The Briesach and Bentley texts are the core books for the class.
                I am not surprised
                Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Thanks
                  Curt,

My next class is "Historiography & Methodology" and the text is After the Fact: The Art of Historical Detection by James West Davidson & Mark Hamilton Lytle. The brief scan I've given it seems very interesting. This is the sixth edition, and the few reviews I found about it rate it highly. Are any of you guys familiar with this book?
                  Last edited by Lance Williams; 14 May 10, 23:06.
                  Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X