Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snipers/Sniper platoons

Hello,

I'm looking for professional, reliable sources regarding snipers and in particular sniper platoons.

Preferably new and updated as possible and based on experience from Afghanistan and mainly Iraq.

Everything from the basic equipment, maintenance and SOPs to (and mainly focusing on) the correct employment of the sniper platoon on the battalion level in any battle form, the correct position of the platoon leader, etc.

If anyone could help out I'd be grateful

Of what use would such information be to you?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Not looking to spy, don't worry

I'm about to end my regular service and I'm working towards being assigned as a sniper platoon leader in my reserve service.

I'll be going to what we call a "Sniper platoon leaders course", but it's ridiculesly short (4-5 weeks) and besides, the sniping field is not well developed at all in the IDF, so I don't know of how much assistance the course would be anyway.

I learned many things I use daily "outside the system", I don't see why I can't pull it off in this case

Comment

Perhaps through your own chain of command you can arrange to have your enquiry forwarded to the US military or naval attache in Israel, and then he may forward it to the appropriate US personnel, who would then be happy to respond promptly.

By the way, good luck on the sniper course.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Not very likely to happen.

Not looking for anything classified, give me some credit, I'm smarter then to ask for it on an open internet forum

There are many books out there, I know some FM's are released and are available for download or delivery, I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

And thanks for the wishing

Comment

The US Army sniper manual is FM 23-10:
            http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-10/index.html

The US marine sniper manual is FMFM 1-3B:
            http://www.scribd.com/doc/3460523/US...anual-FMFM-13B

There is a good book on the subject in French:

De 1 1000 by Philippe Perotti:
            http://www.crepin-leblond.fr/_E-1-A-1000:_

kelt
            Last edited by kelt06; 03 May 10, 13:16. Reason: added french source

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              Perhaps through your own chain of command you can arrange to have your enquiry forwarded to the US military or naval attache in Israel, and then he may forward it to the appropriate US personnel, who would then be happy to respond promptly.
              From my own experince in service I can imagine how that will go.

Unfortunatly my experince as a Scout/Sniper plt cmdr was brief, limited, and fifteen years obsolete. Anything I could give would be the standard boilerplate you already know.

Comment

Originally posted by kelt06 View Post
                The US Army sniper manual is FM 23-10:
                http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-10/index.html

The US marine sniper manual is FMFM 1-3B:
                http://www.scribd.com/doc/3460523/US...anual-FMFM-13B
                Thank you, I was able to find them for download but unfortunately they aren't very updated (94&84 respectively) but it's a start.

There is a good book on the subject in French:

De 1 1000 by Philippe Perotti:
                http://www.crepin-leblond.fr/_E-1-A-1000:_

kelt
                Any clue if it was published in English either?
                If not, I assume this is one of the things I'm after.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                  Thank you, I was able to find them for download but unfortunately they aren't very updated (94&84 respectively) but it's a start.

Any clue if it was published in English either?
                  If not, I assume this is one of the things I'm after.
                  I don't believe Philippe Perotti's books have been translated in English, he is ex French army (1er RPIMa, my old unit) now retired, he works as consultant with the French, Swiss and Belgian forces.

http://nttc.france.free.fr/hist/historique.htm

kelt

Comment

I came across this interesting article:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/b...s-mk-262-mod-1

I'm interested in learning more about the employment of sniper platoons in high intensity combat zones, generally. I've represented the battalion sniper platoon in the game I'm designing but not sure how it should be used. The sniper manuals I've reviewed dont' really discuss this but instead focus more on sniper team tactics and individual sniper training methods.

Comment

Also, this is another thread I started on a different, but similar topic:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=92280

Comment

Originally posted by ipser View Post
                        I came across this interesting article:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/b...s-mk-262-mod-1

I'm interested in learning more about the employment of sniper platoons in high intensity combat zones, generally. I've represented the battalion sniper platoon in the game I'm designing but not sure how it should be used. The sniper manuals I've reviewed dont' really discuss this but instead focus more on sniper team tactics and individual sniper training methods.
                        Counter reconissance is a good use. The sniper can discourage enemy patrols, outposts, observation posts, ect.. that allows the main defense in the company or battalion to remain concealed. For this at the company level you dont really need crack school trained snipers. A couple guys who are good at concealment, stalking, situational awareness, and playing mind games with the enemy can do a lot of good even if not expert shots.

Killing leaders is another obvious one. Spot the enemy CP area and pick off the people there.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                          Counter reconissance is a good use. The sniper can discourage enemy patrols, outposts, observation posts, ect.. that allows the main defense in the company or battalion to remain concealed.
                          These aren't really issues in a high intensity battlefield, though, are they? (E.g. a Soviet MR regiment assaulting an American mech battalion?)

But what about suppressing recon foot patrols? Currently I've given snipers an ability to supress leg units at long range (e.g. 800 meters, four hexes).

For this at the company level you dont really need crack school trained snipers. A couple guys who are good at concealment, stalking, situational awareness, and playing mind games with the enemy can do a lot of good even if not expert shots.
                          I always have trouble drawing the line but just for the sake of discussion, would a sniper platoon in a high intensity battle be employed as a unit or split up into two-man teams at different points? (If the later I have to create seperate counters for each team. How many teams are there in a standard battalion sniper platoon?)

I'm also thinking about giving companies some reduced sniper capability, whatever that turns out to be, to represent organic marksmen. The simplest thing would be to allow attacks without revealing position.

Killing leaders is another obvious one. Spot the enemy CP area and pick off the people there.
                          For all this to be worth the trouble to include in the game I need some battle-level purpose other than simple attrition of enemy soldiers. The ability to hit enemy leaders would be good. I'm currently looking at 1973 but modern snipres have 50BFG which can take out vehicles at considerable range. What else do sniper platoons do?

Comment

Golani, I don't mean to hijak your thread to talk about modeling snipers in a game. I hope there is a reasonable overlap to your questions.

Comment

So long as a decent debate and thought rise, I have no problem (and if people could still throw some sources into the mix )

"Killing leaders" is more of a drill then anything else, of course snipers should aim for leaders, RTO's, machinegunners, etc. just like they should know how to spot and hit periscopes on AFV's.

But I'm looking for techniques and more importantly-tactics.

In a battalion advance effort (I hope I translate the terms correctly, if not and someone understands what I mean please correct me) where is (usually) the correct place (or various options) to place the sniper platoon and how?

Are they best suited as a recon screen? (seems like the least likely one...)
                              Are they best split up and covering the flanks?
                              Maybe as part of the front guard?

What about a battalion assault?
                              Are the snipers best placed as the covering fire, or perhaps isolating the AO? maybe they shouldn't be dealing with the assault at all and just cover the flanks?

Any and every idea (preferably backed up one) would be useful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X