What Unifrom Is h?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Unifrom Is h?

This is a puzzler that has us stumped on another forum.

Anyone here have any educated guesses?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Prussian style Hussar, possibly Austrian? or from the era of the late Hapsburg dynasty (that might include Hungary-Serbia-Croatia) into the early 20th ce.?

The key might be in the notation. Looks germanic to me.

Thanks.

Comment

Unfortunately, the inscription is in English, but the location appears to be Arnhem, in the Netherlands.

Comment

...Perhaps from the era of the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-71?
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Note the date - 1927.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Unfortunately, the inscription is in English, but the location appears to be Arnhem, in the Netherlands.

Ok but it doesn't look like English. And the uniforms of Hussar's were quite similar in many nations. Hence my guess it's a Hussar. Date indicates it might be 1927? And the word kinde bothers me. That's not any English i know. But in German if you add an 'er' it means children Sing: was Kind if i remember rightly. It's also spelled Kind or Jong in Dutch. Often times an 'e' is added. Hence kinde/jonge. I'm no linguist tho.

And further i'm not sure where the word was seperated hence it might be an entirely different word.

A puzzler indeed. Perhaps one of the Napoleon guys might help here. As far as the uniform goes. Von Mackensen a Prussian/German Field Marshal was wearing these types for years . Well into the early 20th ce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_von_Mackensen

Last edited by Thunder Dome; 02 Apr 10, 13:26.

Comment

But it is, in fact, English - "With my kindest regards" signed by a guy named van Olden, and with a date of 1927 it is unlikely to be Napoleonic.

Comment

Von Mackensen.
                Last edited by Thunder Dome; 30 Jun 10, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  But it is, in fact, English - "With my kindest regards" signed by a guy named van Olden, and with a date of 1927 it is unlikely to be Napoleonic.

Ok. Guy's penmanship sucks tho. The Napoleonic guys can ntl give you a better idea of Hussar/Dragoons uniforms that changed very little from that era onwards for a hundred plus years.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Dome View Post
                    Von Mackensen.
                    You must be joking.

Comment

Nope the similarities are there (not exactly-they were all different for different nations and even in given eras). Especially in the Saber's and head dress. General cut and style and the 'hangy thingy' bag your man is carrying. Can't think of what it is called now. But it's Hussar stuff alright.

Thanks.

Comment

Mountain man ..the guy is pre 1940 Dutch Hussar Cavalry if you like .. Look at the placename on the bottom : Arnhem
                        I speak dutch but need a better pic for the translation , the guys handwriting is a bit hard to decipher

He's wearing his gala uniform , as if ready for a ceremony
                        No austrian , no English ..Hollander :-)
                        Last edited by Heinrich; 02 Apr 10, 14:15.
                        ' Because it has Electrolytes ! '

regards:
                        Henk

Comment

So the only possible Hussar in the entire world is MacKenson?

Nonsense.

Comment

Nope. I didn't say nor infer that. I gave you a pic of Von Mackensen for comparison and contrast purposes ref. the uniform. Heinrich is much better qualified to call it then me probably. Or as noted the guys on the Nappy forum. For the reason i cited earlier. Ie. similarities in national Hussar's uniforms that while unique were ntl similar; from that era onwards into the 20th Ce.

Check this site and you can see the Brits for example. Was your guy a Brit? Dunno. Maybe. If so, look at pic of LT Hamilton here:

http://www.hussards-photos.com/UK/UK_13.htm

http://www.hussards-photos.com/UK_home.htm

There are many others from other nations who look similar.

Thanks.

Comment

Its Dutch ...not english ..

here you go :

try uniform huzaar in google to find some more ..
                              ' Because it has Electrolytes ! '

regards:
                              Henk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X