What direction on Afghanistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What direction on Afghanistan?

The United States has been in Afghanistan for nearly three years now. What progress has been made? In what direction is the policy, doctrine and strategy going? What is a realistic goal for US disengagement? Is OBL or other leaders of al-Qaeda still in Afghanistan, whether in the caves, hiding out with tribal groups or secretly living in some town or village.

What do you see as Afghanistan's future?
    They are growing stronger daily, and will handle their own affairs soon
    0%
    They are advancing steadily, but will need at least another year to be stable
    0%
    Progress is being made, but no definite withdrawal date can be set
    0%
    Their progress is hit and miss, and there can be no talk of disengagement
    0%
    The country is in turmoil, and must be stabilized before any further plans may be discussed
    0%
    The country is a disaster area!
    0%

The poll is expired.

Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Interestingly enough, I just finished my April Current History which focused on Southern Asia...

There's no incentive for those outside 'government controlled' zones to want to be part of Karzai's(sp) government. They can make way more money (and don't have to give up their guns) doing illegal and semi-anti-government activities than they can playing along; in effect, keeping their power they've fought (in most cases literally) for. There's little incentive for anyone to keeping throwing money there because it has no strategic value other than as a works-in-progress of how promises made are not promises kept by the international community.

The aid workers are only able to help those in 'controlled' zones since they risk their live multi-fold over if they travel out of them and those in the zones are not necessarily those that need the aid the most. It's turned into a giant operation in satisficing; give the Afgahnis enough to keep them from openly revolting and we can say we're helping and sleep better at night for it.
    If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

My concern with Afghanistan is that we don't all just forget about it and allow it to slip back into the dark ages like when the Soviets pulled out.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Darfour is Darker

As long as we have a "War On Terror" then Americans won't forget Afghanistan. We won't pull out either, until there is some form of pro-US strong government that can handle the provincial warlords...and that might be a long, long time!

I'm actually much more concerned about Darfour: region in the western Sudan where the Sudanese government is egging on Arab tribesmen to rape, murder and displace 100's of thousands of African tribesmen. Since this is not yet a "sexy liberal American thing" (meaning, no Hollywood-types have taken this up as their Cause Of The Day -- too busy bashing Bush???), and since the Sudanese government is cooperating with the Anglo-Americans to root out terror (ala' my favorite hobby-horse, the "Bush/Cheney Doctrine") - no one in the Western world seems to be paying much attention to this tragedy.

Just heard on Int'l Public Radio that the UN High Commission on Refugees estimates that, even if the Arab raiders pulled back, over 100,000 Africans will die of starvation in Darfour - even if all UN and NGO aid organizations come in fully equipped. Don't know how much of that is alarmist or real. Do know that we're looking at Rwanda Part II. Ugh...

Meanwhile, we're in Afghanistan for the long haul!
        -Love Protects-

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
          My concern with Afghanistan is that we don't all just forget about it and allow it to slip back into the dark ages like when the Soviets pulled out.
          Yeah, that wouldn't leave a very good impression for the rest of the world, would it? Who's taking over there, anyways?

V67
          Alpine Kommandos

Central Oregon KSK Airsoft Team

Comment

Re: What direction on Afghanistan?

Originally posted by hogdriver
            The United States has been in Afghanistan for nearly three years now. What progress has been made? In what direction is the policy, doctrine and strategy going? What is a realistic goal for US disengagement? Is OBL or other leaders of al-Qaeda still in Afghanistan, whether in the caves, hiding out with tribal groups or secretly living in some town or village.

What do you see as Afghanistan's future?
            I see progress being made, but it'd take at LEAST a year or more before full control can be turned over the Afghani Government. It wouldn't be indefinite, but at least a year or more.

Cheers!

:armed:
            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

We will still keep troops stationed there just in case we need to go into Iran or Pakastain.

Comment

Originally posted by foster
                We will still keep troops stationed there just in case we need to go into Iran or Pakastain.
                Finish the job in Afghanistan and Iraq first before marching into another country.

_______
                Never be a cynic, even a gentle one. Never help out a sneer, even at the devil.
                -Vachel Lindsay
                I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
                -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

Originally posted by chrisvalla
                  Interestingly enough, I just finished my April Current History which focused on Southern Asia...

There's no incentive for those outside 'government controlled' zones to want to be part of Karzai's(sp) government. They can make way more money (and don't have to give up their guns) doing illegal and semi-anti-government activities than they can playing along; in effect, keeping their power they've fought (in most cases literally) for. There's little incentive for anyone to keeping throwing money there because it has no strategic value other than as a works-in-progress of how promises made are not promises kept by the international community.

The aid workers are only able to help those in 'controlled' zones since they risk their live multi-fold over if they travel out of them and those in the zones are not necessarily those that need the aid the most. It's turned into a giant operation in satisficing; give the Afgahnis enough to keep them from openly revolting and we can say we're helping and sleep better at night for it.
                  I used to subscribe to Current History (during AF service), and don't remember why I stopped. Maybe I should think about renewing.

Comment

Re: Darfour is Darker

Originally posted by richa333
                    As long as we have a "War On Terror" then Americans won't forget Afghanistan. We won't pull out either, until there is some form of pro-US strong government that can handle the provincial warlords...and that might be a long, long time!

I'm actually much more concerned about Darfour: region in the western Sudan where the Sudanese government is egging on Arab tribesmen to rape, murder and displace 100's of thousands of African tribesmen. Since this is not yet a "sexy liberal American thing" (meaning, no Hollywood-types have taken this up as their Cause Of The Day -- too busy bashing Bush???), and since the Sudanese government is cooperating with the Anglo-Americans to root out terror (ala' my favorite hobby-horse, the "Bush/Cheney Doctrine") - no one in the Western world seems to be paying much attention to this tragedy.

Just heard on Int'l Public Radio that the UN High Commission on Refugees estimates that, even if the Arab raiders pulled back, over 100,000 Africans will die of starvation in Darfour - even if all UN and NGO aid organizations come in fully equipped. Don't know how much of that is alarmist or real. Do know that we're looking at Rwanda Part II. Ugh...

Meanwhile, we're in Afghanistan for the long haul!
                    While probably most Americans probably have no idea what Sudan is - maybe a new coffee house, or the clothing line of Jennifer Lopez - this country is a living hell for non-Muslims, they are subjected to the worst sort of inhumanities, the animists much more than the Christians. Sadly, this has been occuring for quite some time, and there is little anyone can do.

To be quite blunt, as you say, it is not "cool", "chic", or "trendy" to care about the Sudan, nor will it likely be any time soon. The Hollywood annointed apparently do not believe that butchered Sudanese women and children are compelling enough to merit their attention.

In my view, peace in Sudan in my lifetime is as likely as snow on the Equator.

Comment

Hmmm.... we better hurry, the snows on Kilaminjaro are melting rapidly....
                      If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Geeky Nerd
                        Finish the job in Afghanistan and Iraq first before marching into another country.

_______
                        Never be a cynic, even a gentle one. Never help out a sneer, even at the devil.
                        -Vachel Lindsay

Good point, GeekyNerd. Heckfire, we barely have enough boots on ground for Afghanistan + Iraq + presence in Korea.
                        :thumb:
                        -Love Protects-

Comment

Originally posted by richa333
                          Good point, GeekyNerd. Heckfire, we barely have enough boots on ground for Afghanistan + Iraq + presence in Korea.
                          :thumb:
                          Hear hear!

(There there!)

(Where where?)

V67
                          Alpine Kommandos

Central Oregon KSK Airsoft Team

Comment

The warlords are on the rampage, again, in Afghanistan.

Warlords overran a provincial capital in central Afghanistan, officials said Friday, forcing the governor to flee in the latest burst of infighting in this war-fractured nation.

Story
                            I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
                            -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

Originally posted by Geeky Nerd
                              The warlords are on the rampage, again, in Afghanistan.

Story
                              In fact, they have scarcely stopped, just more assertive at times than others. They are essentially a "to the highest bidder" collection of groups, rather like domestic mercenaries.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X