Please give info on these rumours...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please give info on these rumours...

I have heard a few weird and wonderful rumours about modern military equipement emerging, please give whatever you might know (that's not classified....)

1. (easy I think) what is MOAB?

2. what is the weird hydroplane the russians have, a monster size machine that barely touches the water. Moves like a speed king, and can carry a battalion of Speznaz, or marine infantry?

3. What is the new 'super torpedo' that the US is developing, that puts out an intence amount of bubbles in it's path, thus removing contact with water and eliminating almost all friction, is reported to have a mindboggling rate of knots?

4. Is it true that the US have 'shelved' the fuel air bombs, because like napalm it was deemed to be too inhuman a weapon after some Desert Storm experiences made people say it was 'too brutal'.?

5. this one has nothing to do with modern warfare but i will ask anyway, is it true Tom Cruise is working on a film about the Battle of Britain? if so, is it about US volunteers and/or Eagle Squadrons?

p.s. I cannot say anything pro or con about these issues because they are rumours (meaning I heard about them from people that I do not take as military experts, so I ask someone who more or less IS one)
    "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Please give info on these rumours...

Originally posted by 17poundr
    I have heard a few weird and wonderful rumours about modern military equipement emerging, please give whatever you might know (that's not classified....)

2. what is the weird hydroplane the russians have, a monster size machine that barely touches the water. Moves like a speed king, and can carry a battalion of Speznaz, or marine infantry?

3. What is the new 'super torpedo' that the US is developing, that puts out an intence amount of bubbles in it's path, thus removing contact with water and eliminating almost all friction, is reported to have a mindboggling rate of knots?

4. Is it true that the US have 'shelved' the fuel air bombs, because like napalm it was deemed to be too inhuman a weapon after some Desert Storm experiences made people say it was 'too brutal'.?

5. this one has nothing to do with modern warfare but i will ask anyway, is it true Tom Cruise is working on a film about the Battle of Britain? if so, is it about US volunteers and/or Eagle Squadrons?
    1. Mother of All Bombs?

2. Don't know

3. Don't know, sounds a little... out there. But then again there's a decent chance it's being developed, or something related to it, at my university.

4. No idea.

5. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388940/
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

1. Massive Ordnance Air Burst

2. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/s...rus/1232_2.htm

3. It's not American, it's Russian. The V-111 Shkval travels at a speed of approx. 230 knots for about 15 km
      http://www.periscope.ucg.com/mdb-smp...rpedo/w0004768

Hmmm. Just checked the link for #3 and it doesn't work. Just google it. Type in "Shkval"

Persistent rumours maintain that a fully functional example was somehow purchased by Canadian intelligence. Edmund Pope, a US "businessman" was arrested by the FSB after he was implicated in the deal.
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Re: Re: Please give info on these rumours...

Originally posted by Tigersqn
        1. Massive Ordnance Air Burst

2. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/s...rus/1232_2.htm

3. It's not American, it's Russian. The V-111 Shkval travels at a speed of approx. 230 knots for about 15 km
        http://www.periscope.ucg.com/mdb-smp...rpedo/w0004768

Hmmm. Just checked the link for #3 and it doesn't work. Just google it. Type in "Shkval"
        I think Mother of All Bombs is cooler.
        “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Please give info on these rumours...

Originally posted by Overseer
          I think Mother of All Bombs is cooler.
          That's what I'll call MY version - in your honour.

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Hurray! In exchange for this honor, I'll be sure to purge traitors extra hard this month!

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
              Hurray! In exchange for this honor, I'll be sure to purge traitors extra hard this month!
              There's a two-for-one offer on traitors this month, so it's a good month to purge PURGE PURGE!!

Dr. S.
              Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

1. (easy I think) what is MOAB? Massive Ordinance Aerial Bomb. Is dropped by a C-130. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/11/sprj.irq.moab/

2. what is the weird hydroplane the russians have, a monster size machine that barely touches the water. Moves like a speed king, and can carry a battalion of Speznaz, or marine infantry? http://www.testpilot.ru/russia/bartini/vva/vva_e.htm

3. What is the new 'super torpedo' that the US is developing, that puts out an intence amount of bubbles in it's path, thus removing contact with water and eliminating almost all friction, is reported to have a mindboggling rate of knots? http://www.fatima.org/library/cr67pg06.html

4. Is it true that the US have 'shelved' the fuel air bombs, because like napalm it was deemed to be too inhuman a weapon after some Desert Storm experiences made people say it was 'too brutal'.? No, they are area weapons. In Iraq we have been very, very, pricise in our bombing.

5. this one has nothing to do with modern warfare but i will ask anyway, is it true Tom Cruise is working on a film about the Battle of Britain? if so, is it about US volunteers and/or Eagle Squadrons? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388940/

p.s. I cannot say anything pro or con about these issues because they are rumours (meaning I heard about them from people that I do not take as military experts, so I ask someone who more or less IS one)

Comment

Do people look to see if questions were answered already? :P

Comment

Massive Ordnance Air Burst

I only heard of it, haven't seen any photos. I think it is made by Tupolev or Beriev design bureau.

Again, have littler information, but I do know that the Navy has beem working on a replacement for the Mk46 torpedo for sometime, and it was to have a greater speed, so this may be it.

Not officially anyway. FAE, like napalm, is a formidable weapon, and one not to be discarded lightly. Regardless of the thoughts of some, there is no such thing as a "humane weapon". Weapons exist for one reason - to kill. In fact, FAE is not inhuman, those within its blast radius would live for only a fraction of a second as the explosion instantaneously consumed all the oxygen, and all organic material.

Don't know anything about this.

Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

To be more precise about the nomenclature of the FAB (Fuel Air Bomb) which is really called a Daisy Cutter or BLU-82B. Originally designed to create an instant clearing in the jungle, it has been used in Afghanistan as an anti-personnel weapon and as an intimidation weapon because of its very large lethal radius (variously reported as 300-900 feet) combined with flash and sound visible at long distances. It is the largest conventional bomb in existence but is less than one thousandth the power of the Hiroshima nuclear bomb. Yeah baby.

And no it is still very much in use.

Semper Fi

Comment

Thankyou for all your input, I got all I wanted to know and then some.
                        On the fuel air matter I might become confused about a bbc documentary on Desert Storm and remember 'then' Chairman of the joing Chieffs of staff Colin Powell mentioning after Kuwait was liberated, coalition troops were reaching the 'higway of death, and although the airforce had done a ' Falaise gap' all by their selves, some people seemed to think that the killing should stop.
                        Now, as far as I can understand 'Stroming Norman' and his subordinates were willing to finish the neutralizing of the Republican guard, but Powell explained how every thing they set out to do had been achieved with minimal casualties for the coalition, and I believe that he used the word 'unshivalrous' to continue with the most leathal warmachine in the history of man against a totally helpless army that was surrendering as fast as they could (with the possible exeption of what was left of the Iraqi Republican Guards).
                        Somehow, later on when the US was using daisy cutters and carpet bombing in Afganistan, many of my friends among me asked why not use the fuel air bombs?
                        And in Iraqi freedom again I did not hear of the use of fuel air bombs. So I heard a rumour that after the highway of death some Pentagon officials said that it would be a bad public relations weapon. Not necessarilly because the soldiers being killed almost instantaniously, just, that their charred remains were too gruesome to show the ever present CNN, plus it ewoked images of Vietnam and napalm in some lofty corners of the US gorverment.
                        like I said, just a rumour.
                        Thankyou for the info. yours, mr, poundr.

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Marines
                          To be more precise about the nomenclature of the FAB (Fuel Air Bomb) which is really called a Daisy Cutter or BLU-82B. Originally designed to create an instant clearing in the jungle, it has been used in Afghanistan as an anti-personnel weapon and as an intimidation weapon because of its very large lethal radius (variously reported as 300-900 feet) combined with flash and sound visible at long distances. It is the largest conventional bomb in existence but is less than one thousandth the power of the Hiroshima nuclear bomb. Yeah baby.

And no it is still very much in use.

Sorry if I'm wrong but Isnt the BLU-82 a huge 'conventional' bomb? Not a true fuel air bomb?
                          that means it's filled with a powder that explodes, and because it's so bigh the blast radius and other characteristics make it mini nuke with no fall out, but it's not a fuel air bomb which injects liquid flammable substances into the atmosphere right before hitting the groung like a giand aerosole spinning toward the ground thus creating a mist of 'petrol' (I dont know the exact chemical makeout) on top of the target.
                          This mist (which can be the size of a football field), is then ignited all at once, and if you have ever heard of kitchen accidents where someone leaves the oven on for a while, then somebody comes home and lights a cigarrette... wham!
                          A similar thing but it's not indoors, so even the people who are not directly inside the fireball, get serious injuries to their skin and mainly to their lungs when the massive 'spontanious combustion, violently sucks the air out of their lungs. If you are close by you die fast, somewat wather away... well every weapon also wounds and every wound is nasty. Thats why they are there, to willing to use force that surpasses that of the bad guys.
                          And on the road from Kuwait, where lots of Iraqi troops tried to make it to Iraq, the airforces of the coalition really hammered them, the most succesfull weapon probably being the fuel air bomb.
                          Later on like Afganistan I wondered why they were using (pardon the expresion), old BLU-82 daisycutters, which had a certain kind of explosive mixed with aluminium powder to give the explosion oxygen.

Semper Fi
                          :thumb:

Comment

#2. I remember seeing a show about this craft. It did NOT look like a conventional hover craft. Rather it was a HUGE low flying (15-20 feet) aircraft.
                            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                              #2. I remember seeing a show about this craft. It did NOT look like a conventional hover craft. Rather it was a HUGE low flying (15-20 feet) aircraft.
                              I remember seeing something about this also( an artist's conception actually), but I believe it was the US working on it.
                              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Yesterday, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Yesterday, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Yesterday, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X