President's Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President's Address

As should be expected, reaction to President Bush's address was mixed , but their were some important viewpoints expressed. Most of the Arab-Americans polled in Dearborn, Michigan, the largest concentration (approx. 130,000) of Arabs outside the Middle East, were quite positive, and many other responses were positive as well. Read more.

Speech Reaction
    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Sorry, I don't see a strong parallel between Arabs that live in the United States and Arabs that live in the middle east. There's too many differences between them, even if the ones that are over here have only been for a short while.
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

I think the focus should have been on Muslims, not Arabs for this kinds of poll. Not all Arabs are Muslim, and not all Muslims are Arab. The anti-American contingents have been focusing primarily on the US efforts to destroy Islam.
      Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
        Sorry, I don't see a strong parallel between Arabs that live in the United States and Arabs that live in the middle east. There's too many differences between them, even if the ones that are over here have only been for a short while.
        In fact, there is. Nearly all American Arabs retain strong ties to their homelands, and visit quite often. Many consider themselves more exiles than immigrant, while also admitting the unlikelihood that they will ever return home. They keep a close watch of events in the Middile East - The Arab American News is also based in Dearborn, the largest Arab-American news source in the United States. It's publisher, Osama Siblani, came to America (from Lebanon, I believe), virtually penniless, to attend college. Sometime after graduation, he conceived of a news outlet catering to the ever-growing Arab population of metro Detroit and the nation, and started up the Arab American News - it has proven very successful, and Mr. Siblani is a very prominent and influential member of the Arab and Muslim communities.
        Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
        (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Oh, I'm not saying they don't keep watch on things that happen, but I do believe that being here, no matter how close a tie you keep, is quite different than being there. Being in this country gives a person an entirely different set of influences and viewpoints from what they have in any other country. (It's like saying going from China to Swaziland doesn't affect a person).
          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

....I just wanted to use Swaziland in a post...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X