Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demolish the Prison?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Demolish the Prison?

    Apparently as part of his speech tonight, the President will propose demolishing Abu Ghraib Prison, "if the Iraqis wish it"

    What is the rationale for this? While certainly the rationale could be because of the unspeakable horrors that occurred there during Hussein's regime, how many believe that this is the President's true intent? He cannot exorcise the demons of what OUR troops did there simply by demolition, any more than Hussein could have done. This is a bad idea, because it will reek of hypocrisy. Close it, yes. But leave it entirely to the Iraqis to determine its fate. Don't even mention the name - don't engage in this shameful symbolism. When President Bush makes this announcement tonight, people may remember it all the way to November.

    Full Story
    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

  • #2
    He should be embarrased to make such a statement. Demolishing the prison will not, in any way, abolve nor alleviate any guilt or responsibility for what occured there, both during and after the Hussein Regime.

    The "shameful symbolism" will not fool anyone. Wnat it pulled down? Hand it over to the Iraqi government on July 1. Let them dispose of the facility as the so wish.

    Want to tear something down? How about the wall of deniability erected by the American political and military leadership which allowed such incidents to happen.
    Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

    Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

    Comment


    • #3
      Mitigating the unmitigatable? Trust the spinners to come out with foolish ideas just to win reelection for their principal.

      _______
      Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
      -Ambrose Bierce
      I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
      -Lou Chiafullo

      Comment


      • #4
        It is a wrong move if he wants the prison destroyed because of the recent scandal. And what's with all the prisonner releases all of a sudden? Is it a move to appease the hordes or were these prisonners unjustly held? Smells funny this one...
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

        Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

        Comment


        • #5
          I dont mind tearing it down. Since it was a sign of the terror of Saddam and the scene of the torchure by some small group of soldiers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dannybou
            It is a wrong move if he wants the prison destroyed because of the recent scandal. And what's with all the prisonner releases all of a sudden? Is it a move to appease the hordes or were these prisonners unjustly held? Smells funny this one...
            Yeah, doesn't it, though? The Coalition spokesman has never made any detailed statement about the recent and ongoing prisoner releases. Absent his revealing any thing more, I think we have to assume that the powers that be could not present a defensible resaon for holding them, and so released them.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hogdriver
              Yeah, doesn't it, though? The Coalition spokesman has never made any detailed statement about the recent and ongoing prisoner releases. Absent his revealing any thing more, I think we have to assume that the powers that be could not present a defensible resaon for holding them, and so released them.
              I just hope that these released prisonners will not return into combat against the coalition forces!!
              http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

              Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dannybou
                I just hope that these released prisonners will not return into combat against the coalition forces!!
                Assuming, of course, that they carried arms in the first place. I am not saying there are no combatants in custody there. However, there have been known to be non-combatants in custody as well.
                Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

                Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
                  He should be embarrased to make such a statement. Demolishing the prison will not, in any way, abolve nor alleviate any guilt or responsibility for what occured there, both during and after the Hussein Regime.

                  The "shameful symbolism" will not fool anyone. Wnat it pulled down? Hand it over to the Iraqi government on July 1. Let them dispose of the facility as the so wish.

                  Want to tear something down? How about the wall of deniability erected by the American political and military leadership which allowed such incidents to happen.
                  I'm for that. I read a very short report stating that General Sanchez (ground component commander) will soon be exiting Iraq, probably to an enforced retirement. General Franks and General Abizaid may also have some questions to answer, Franks probably the more of the two, since the abuse started and grew exponentially during his command. General Abizaid has been in command only since February or January.
                  Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                  (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Per the 15-6 report Gen Karpanski claims that most of the prisoners had been evalauated, their records put before a tribunal she was part of and recommended for release, last fall. A MG XXXXX (can not remember name) though would not sign off on the release orders.

                    This is probably why so many prisoners are being released now.

                    I can see Sanchez taking a hit for this, but Abazid or Franks would be above this. While this is their AOR, Theater/Regional Command is a bit too far removed. Now, Sanchez's J2 should be answering some questions....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Assuming, of course, that they carried arms in the first place. I am not saying there are no combatants in custody there. However, there have been known to be non-combatants in custody as well.
                      After enduring abuse in that prison, its not surprising if the non-combatants take up arms and become combatants just to exact revenge.

                      _______
                      Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
                      -Richard M. Nixon
                      I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
                      -Lou Chiafullo

                      Comment

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X