Israel Vs USSR...IDF/AF:5 USSR:Zip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel Vs USSR...IDF/AF:5 USSR:Zip

The incident that embarassed the Soviet Air Force, and a date they'll never forget...

July 30th, 1970

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...8/operate5.htm

No wonder Russia makes good ejection seats!
    "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

Re: Israel Vs USSR...IDF/AF:5 USSR:Zip

Originally posted by Aubrey's Pet
    The incident that embarassed the Soviet Air Force, and a date they'll never forget...

July 30th, 1970

Good story. Wasn't aware of this encounter. :thumb:
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

July 30th, 1970

Brilliant, pet. I've never seen so much information about any of the IDF. I have long been interested in the IDF as a whole, but have found information rather hard to come by. This story rather reminds me of the Russian's who flew MiG-15s for the North Koreans during the Korean War.
      Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
      (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

I guess that's why Israel is still Israel today. They win, want to win, they need to win. :thumb:
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Re: Israel Vs USSR...IDF/AF:5 USSR:Zip

Originally posted by hogdriver
          Brilliant, pet. I've never seen so much information about any of the IDF. I have long been interested in the IDF as a whole, but have found information rather hard to come by. This story rather reminds me of the Russian's who flew MiG-15s for the North Koreans during the Korean War.
          May I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
          The Sword and the Olive: A Critical History of the Israeli Defense Force

I picked it up a couple years ago in hardback, and it was a good read, covering from ancient times (the atempted uprising against rome) through Muslim occupation all the way to the 7 Days war and relatively recent events.

Comment

I'd agree I've never seen so much info on the IDF. Great stuff.
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I always like the way that Israel will put up with a little, but go over the line and they’ll slap you down.:thumb:
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Israel Vs USSR...IDF/AF:5 USSR:Zip

Originally posted by sasseriansectio
                May I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
                The Sword and the Olive: A Critical History of the Israeli Defense Force

I picked it up a couple years ago in hardback, and it was a good read, covering from ancient times (the atempted uprising against rome) through Muslim occupation all the way to the 7 Days war and relatively recent events.
                Thanks, I'll pick it up

Comment

NOTICE TO ALL EAGLE DRIVERS...

IDF/AF has added 2 more kills a couple of years ago it was confirmed. Syrian Mig-29's harrassed an ELINT bird in Israeli Airspace and got creamed by F-15's in an ambush as a result!:thumb: :bowdown:

Comment

I remember a air combat symposium in which two Korean War vets, one USAF and the other Soviet AF, were the guests.

When asked if it was possible if they ever flew against each other the USAF pilot replied: "No. He wouldn't be here if we did!", or words to that effect. Everyone had a good laugh. :spill:

Will post some more exploits in the future, when I can, including an actual special operation's raid involving the use of tanks...stay tuned.:thumb:

Comment

Innovative IDF/AF CSAR - AH-1 Cobra Style

On October 16th 1986 an IAF Phantom attacking Palestinian targets in Lebanon suffered from a malfunction in its bomb release mechanism, forcing its two crew members to eject. The navigator, Ron Arad, was captured by Palestinians and has been held in captivity ever since, but the pilot of the downed aircraft managed to elude captivity. IAF aircraft which attempted to reach his position were fired upon by terrorists on the ground, hampering rescue attempts. A pair of AH-1s nonetheless managed to reach the pilot and hanging on to a Cobra's skid, the pilot was carried all the way back to Israel.

A similar rescue took place on December 9th 1988 after a number of IDF soldiers were stranded in Lebanon following operation "Kahol ve-Hoom" (blue and brown). The joint Navy and Golani infantry raid against a PFLP (Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine) headquarter deep in Lebanon, in which AH-1s also participated, had ended successfully but for 4 IDF soldiers missing somewhere on the ground. Once contact was made with the missing squad, IAF fighter bombers kept Palestinian forces from reaching the stranded soldiers, enabling a rescue attempt.

The close proximity of the terrorists however, prevented rescue helicopters from landing and the Cobras were sent in instead. Under heavy fire, a pair of Cobras descended towards the stranded soldiers and carried them on their skids to Navy boats off the Lebanese coast. The four Cobra crew members which had performed the rescue received citations from the IDF Chief-of-Staff.

Comment

Re: Innovative IDF/AF CSAR - AH-1 Cobra Style

On October 16th 1986 an IAF Phantom attacking Palestinian targets in Lebanon suffered from a malfunction in its bomb release mechanism, forcing its two crew members to eject. The navigator, Ron Arad, was captured by Palestinians and has been held in captivity ever since, but the pilot of the downed aircraft managed to elude captivity. IAF aircraft which attempted to reach his position were fired upon by terrorists on the ground, hampering rescue attempts. A pair of AH-1s nonetheless managed to reach the pilot and hanging on to a Cobra's skid, the pilot was carried all the way back to Israel.

A similar rescue took place on December 9th 1988 after a number of IDF soldiers were stranded in Lebanon following operation "Kahol ve-Hoom" (blue and brown). The joint Navy and Golani infantry raid against a PFLP (Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine) headquarter deep in Lebanon, in which AH-1s also participated, had ended successfully but for 4 IDF soldiers missing somewhere on the ground. Once contact was made with the missing squad, IAF fighter bombers kept Palestinian forces from reaching the stranded soldiers, enabling a rescue attempt.

The close proximity of the terrorists however, prevented rescue helicopters from landing and the Cobras were sent in instead. Under heavy fire, a pair of Cobras descended towards the stranded soldiers and carried them on their skids to Navy boats off the Lebanese coast. The four Cobra crew members which had performed the rescue received citations from the IDF Chief-of-Staff.

Have the Palestinians confirmed that they do, in fact, have the navigator? Have they reported his condition. Have they made any demands or offers for his release? Given the elapsed time, does the IDF and/or Israeli Government believe that he is still alive?

Brilliant info, pet - keep it coming. You are exponentially expanding my knowledge of Israel and the IDF.

Comment

If your looking for a good book on the IDF's Air force it's called Best Defense, Israel's Air Force. I cant remeber where i got it form its current to about 1995. it's real intresting
                          Colonel,
                          night-time security leader,
                          Dr. Sinister's Secret Island Base

Comment

July 30th, 1970

Always good to hear from you, pet. I very much enjoy your posts, much info I have never heard before.

Comment

Re: Re: Innovative IDF/AF CSAR - AH-1 Cobra Style

Have the Palestinians confirmed that they do, in fact, have the navigator? Have they reported his condition. Have they made any demands or offers for his release? Given the elapsed time, does the IDF and/or Israeli Government believe that he is still alive?

Brilliant info, pet - keep it coming. You are exponentially expanding my knowledge of Israel and the IDF.
                              Hogdriver, our position is that Ron Arad is still alive. What information about us do you want to know, if you don't mind me asking?
                              The world does not pity the slaughtered. It only respects those who fight!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X