New Scandal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scandal?

A new report by an NBC reporter alleges that Delta Force operators have been committing egregious abuses of prisoners at a secretive facility near Baghdad Airport, a facility that the US Army will not confirm the existence of. Among allegations are:

- being hooded throughout their custody;
    - being immersed in water to the point of near-drowning;
    - being suffocated almost the to point of death.

The source of this journalist's information is unknown, and there has, at this point, been no verification of these allegations. In addition, this is conveniently occurring as the Abu Ghraib scandal is approaching its zenith.

I am prepared to wait for the conclusion of an official investigation.

As an aside, if these prisoners are foreign "insurgents" or terorists, the Geneva and Hague Conventions do not apply.
    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Re: New Scandal?

Originally posted by hogdriver

As an aside, if these prisoners are foreign "insurgents" or terorists, the Geneva and Hague Conventions do not apply.
    Quick question for you. Despite the fact that the Geneva & Hague Conventions may not apply; what makes this morally right? And didn't we hang Germans at Nuremberg for treating the resistance/partisans to abuses?

I'm not comparing us to the Nazis, but I want the US to keep the morale high ground. If we sink to Saddam's/Idi Amin's level than they have won.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Well said Richard, well said. The question isn't whether we can, it's whether we should?

Wait... I think I stole that from Jurassic Park.
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Re: Re: New Scandal?

Originally posted by RichardS
        Quick question for you. Despite the fact that the Geneva & Hague Conventions may not apply; what makes this morally right? And didn't we hang Germans at Nuremberg for treating the resistance/partisans to abuses?

I'm not comparing us to the Nazis, but I want the US to keep the morale high ground. If we sink to Saddam's/Idi Amin's level than they have won.

Cheers!

Yeah, but that is the question - what IS morally right? Not this, perhaps, but what is? How does one treat a terrorist? I've dealt with people who have done things that many people couldn't even conceive of. More than one, I felt like taking out back and setting fire to. With such vermin, such human trash, what do you do? I do not support torture in any way. Yes, perhaps my comment previously was not the right thought in the right place, but it encapsulates my experience. Especially with someone who is willing to die - how do you influence them to cooperate? Threaten them with death - they will laugh at you. All that remains is to make them as uncomfortable as you can, and hope that something will strike a nerve. Depending on circumstances, some things are universal.

RichardS, I'm sure I don't know how to answer your question. I've done some wicked things, but nothing I'm ashamed of. No prisoner ever died at my hands, or those I directed, nor was anyone seriously injured. I did, however take my orders and my authority quite seriously. In the great majority of instances I got at least a large part of the information necessary. That to me is victory.
        Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
        (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X