Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newspaper Editor sacked for printing Fake Iraqi torture photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper Editor sacked for printing Fake Iraqi torture photos.

I am so cock-a-hoop right now.

For reasons I have stated elsewhere in another thread, the photos of British soldiers abusing and torturing Iraqi prisoners have been proved to be FAKES.

Tonight, Piers "Moron" Morgan, editor of the Daily Mirror which published the photos has been sacked and the paper has issued an apology.

Links:

Editor sacked over 'hoax' photos

Daily Mirror statement in full

Reaction: Mirror editor sacked

Was Piers Morgan's sacking right?

Not only has this man and his Newspaper brought the Queen's Lancashire Regiment and the British Army into disrepute, but the situation has also inflamed an already volatile situation and put the lives of British and ALL coalition soldiers at risk.

Plus, it helps that Mr Morgan is an arrogant little turd.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Any criminal law broken on the part of this...... person??
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
      Any criminal law broken on the part of this...... person??
      Fortunately for him, I don't believe so. He's just incredibly irresponsible and I'm glad to see the back of him. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

The Brits have a US counterpart in a similar situation:

Boston Globe apologies for running photo of graphic, unauthenticated picture

BOSTON GLOBE 'miscommunication' in publishing fake Iraq 'rape' pics

Unfortunately, I donít think anyone is losing their job on this side of the pond.
        Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup

Unfortunately, I donít think anyone is losing their job on this side of the pond.
          That's a shame, especially given the number of times Editors of Newspapers demand resignations from people in public office - why should they be any different when they make a "mistake"?

Perhaps they ought to realise that their lies can often ruin peoples lives.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Newspaper Editor sacked for printing Fake Iraqi torture photos.

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister

For reasons I have stated elsewhere in another thread, the photos of British soldiers abusing and torturing Iraqi prisoners have been proved to be FAKES.

Tonight, Piers "Moron" Morgan, editor of the Daily Mirror which published the photos has been sacked and the paper has issued an apology.

Links:

Not only has this man and his Newspaper brought the Queen's Lancashire Regiment and the British Army into disrepute, but the situation has also inflamed an already volatile situation and put the lives of British and ALL coalition soldiers at risk.

Dr. S.
            My most gracious, ruthless and omnipotent lord,

Couldn't you just see this coming? Some tabloid moron thought he could have some fun, and make some money as well - I hope he gets what he deserves.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: Re: Newspaper Editor sacked for printing Fake Iraqi torture photos.

Originally posted by hogdriver
              My most gracious, ruthless and omnipotent lord,

Couldn't you just see this coming? Some tabloid moron thought he could have some fun, and make some money as well - I hope he gets what he deserves.
              Absolutely. The arrogant sod even refused to accept that he should go when, despite all his assertions to the contrary, he was proved to be wrong. So they had to fire him.

I should probably emphasise here, in case anyone hasn't read the accompanying articles, that there is NO suggestion that the Daily Mirror actually faked the photos themselves, just that they WERE taken in by some hoaxers, and failed to follow the appropriate procedures for establishing the validity of the pictures they bought.

As an aside - the pictures were purchased BY the paper for £5,000.00. They then CHARGED people £5,000.00 per picture for every time someone else wanted to print or show one. Add this to the undoubted increase in circulation, and I wonder how much they made from this debacle...

However, as I've said elsewhere - in the eyes of the world the damage has now been done, and it's too late to go back.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Wait, isn't that illegal? It's called liable, right? Kind of like slander, but in print. (Got that from the Spider-Man movie.)
                "You realize that if I could actually purchase a weapon, I would stab you with it now?" --Roy, Order of the Stick #136

Governor of South Florida, Cuba, Louisiana, Manhattan, Hawaii, Illinois, Moon and Mars. Chief of Cybernetics Div., S.INC

Comment

Oh,well,He can always work with Peter Arnett....
                  Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by Bariman
                    Wait, isn't that illegal? It's called liable, right? Kind of like slander, but in print. (Got that from the Spider-Man movie.)
                    Libel laws are very tortuous (no pun intended) and I am by no means an expert - but my belief is that unless a specific individual has been named, there's nothing anyone can do.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Newspaper Editor sacked for printing Fake Iraqi torture photos.

Links:

Dr. S.
                      I'm with you on this one, Dr S. He got exactly what he deserved, and I hope he never works in the news field again. Of course, the reality is that some tabloid or other scandal sheet will hire him - probably with directions to do exactly was got him sacked.

Ah well, such is the state of the world's media.

Comment

Libel laws are very tortuous (no pun intended) and I am by no means an expert - but my belief is that unless a specific individual has been named, there's nothing anyone can do.

Dr. S.

But isn't that propagating a steroetype? If someone said, for example, that all black people are fried-chicken-eating theives*, they would get sued out the whazoo. But if someone says that all military people are prisoner-abusing murderers, everyone agrees. I know it's not the same thing, but it is similar enough, I guess.

*Disclaimer: I don't believe that any more than any of you. I just don't want to get sued.
                        "You realize that if I could actually purchase a weapon, I would stab you with it now?" --Roy, Order of the Stick #136

Governor of South Florida, Cuba, Louisiana, Manhattan, Hawaii, Illinois, Moon and Mars. Chief of Cybernetics Div., S.INC

Comment

Originally posted by Bariman
                          But isn't that propagating a steroetype? If someone said, for example, that all black people are fried-chicken-eating theives*, they would get sued out the whazoo. But if someone says that all military people are prisoner-abusing murderers, everyone agrees. I know it's not the same thing, but it is similar enough, I guess.

*Disclaimer: I don't believe that any more than any of you. I just don't want to get sued.
                          Over here that would be classed as "Incitement to Racial Hatred" and is a specific crime. I don't think the same could be said for comments/actions attributed to a Regiment of Soldiers.

I dunno though - I'm not a Lawyer (thankfully - although the money would be nice, I just wouldn't be able to live with myself)

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup

Yeak, sickpup, that's our "journalistic community" for you - if it oozes under the door, its fit for print. What will they do next, publish pictures allegedly showing American soldiers walking across an Iraqi flag, or having sex in a mosque or something? This was no "slip-up", it was coolly calculated and executed, and only an uproar found them out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X