Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its going to get a good deal more terrible, Im afraid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its going to get a good deal more terrible, Im afraid.

Well, according to Rumsfeld, things are going to get worse before they get better (in regards to the images, and now videos, of abuse in Iraq). According to this story (MSNBC) U.S. military officials told NBC News that the unreleased images showed U.S. soldiers severely beating an Iraqi prisoner nearly to death, having sex with a female Iraqi female prisoner and acting inappropriately with a dead body. The officials said there was also a videotape, apparently shot by U.S. personnel, showing Iraqi guards raping young boys.

Ill be honest, when it was just the humiliation of the prisoners, I wasnt overly concerned. Im sure most other armies/countries do the same things, if not worse. Im confident that many, if not most, of the prisoners in that prison had a reason for being there. Sure, there may have been some prisoners that were there unjustly, but such is the cost of war (and, especially, a war in which the enemy wears civilian clothes and attacks other civilians).

However, rape and extreme torture, while certainly practiced by our enemy, is simply (and obviously) too much. If these additional images and videos are released, and assuming theyre not staged/faked (which has already happened once) what do you think it will do to our current situation?

Im thinking it will lead to an increased need to pull out of Iraq on the set deadline which, in my book, is a good thing. It will probably also lead to a smaller US contingent in Iraq which is also a good thing. Perhaps it will lead to other countries wanting the US off of their lands. Once again, this is (in most cases) a good thing in my book.

I guess my point is that this might lead the US into a new age of isolationism; which, if done correctly (i.e., with intervention where and when it is necessary to combat terrorists with special forces and such) could be a good thing. Ive always felt that we should leave countries that dont appreciate our efforts this is our chance to do just that.

Just trying to put a silver lining on the situation. What do you think?
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Rumsfeld was preparing the audience when he said on TV that more images and videos are going to surface in the following days.

And its going to make the Arab street more and more incensed especially if the images depict atrocities far more serious than the previously released pictures ever showed.

A previously pro-Bush Kuwaiti Arab friend is now rabidly anti-Iraq war after seeing the photo of a female US soldier tugging at a naked Iraqi with a leash wrapped around his neck. To the male Arab, death is far better than being naked and humiliated by a female.

-------------
    Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them.
    -Aristotle
    I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
    -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

Are we witnessing the end of Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defence?
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
        I hate him! I hope he goes, but this would probably be unlikely. We'll see what happens come election time.
        "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

Comment

According to a poll, two thirds of Americans said Rumsfeld should not resign.

Personally, I think he should go.

----------------
          Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
          -Frank Dane
          I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
          -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

2/3rds you say....

Donald Rumsfeld, is a man of honesty, bluntness, integrity, and a sense of humor.
            He has stepped up to the plate like many others in this great country, to protect the USA.
            Since 9/11 he is the one man i trust to make the correct decisions.
            I will continue supporting this gentleman.
            Attached Files
            Only Tearful, Animal Man Through the Nature of his Being is Destined to
            a Life of Warfare...

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
              Common sense and decency advocate for this course of action, but when was the last time you saw common sense and decency in government? Still, I expect Rumsfeld to make an early exit, "voluntary" of course. Look for his #2, Paul Wolfowitz, to be the new SecDef.
              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X