Turbot Wars revisited?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbot Wars revisited?

For you non-Canadians out there, the Turbot Wars took place in the late 90's. It was a dispute between Canada and Spain(?)(or Portugal, I can't remember ) over fishing rights in the Grand Banks off Newfoundland, Canada.
    A Canadian Navy Frigate fired shots across the bows of a foreign fishing vessel before seizing the ship.

And now the 21st Century version.

http://sympatico.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti..._79276569?hub=
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

It was Spain, and when on tour in Kosovo with a Spanish contingent, they used to tease me quite a bit about that incident.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

We nearly had a small war with Iceland once over Cod. This was back in the 70's. The Royal Navy even got deployed to protect our fishing fleet - there were quite a few net-cutting incidents IIRC, it was quite nasty.

We should have invaded Rejkjavik!

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
        We nearly had a small war with Iceland once over Cod. This was back in the 70's. The Royal Navy even got deployed to protect our fishing fleet - there were quite a few net-cutting incidents IIRC, it was quite nasty.

We should have invaded Rejkjavik!

Dr. S.
        Dr. S., wasn't there some sort of dispute with the Norwegians as well?
        Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
        (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Originally posted by hogdriver
          Dr. S., wasn't there some sort of dispute with the Norwegians as well?
          I honestly don't know about that one - however I know that we are constantly arguing with the Spanish over fishing rights - well, we were, until we agreed to scrap 2/3 of our fishing fleet to keep them and the rest of the EU happy, causing devastation in the economies of many coastal communities.

Yet again, Britain pays the price for EU membership.

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I honestly don't know about that one - however I know that we are constantly arguing with the Spanish over fishing rights - well, we were, until we agreed to scrap 2/3 of our fishing fleet to keep them and the rest of the EU happy, causing devastation in the economies of many coastal communities.

Dr. S.
            Sore spot I see Dr S.

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
              Sore spot I see Dr S.
              Just a tad. I like my Fish n' Chips!

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Amazing isn't it. People have been fighting over fishing rights for the past 500 years or more off the coast of USA/Canada. You would have thought that with the knowledge that this gets us nowhere after 500 years we would stop. Oh Well. Never liked fish anyway.

Comment

Dr. S.
                  You've got that right! I was really hopeful that when the formal implementation of the union (or at least the EMU) took place that Parliament would at last stand up and "just say no" to the other members of the EU. To be quite honest it is rather like despotism, and it surprises me to hear that other European nations want to join. Similar affairs can be seen in US-EU trade disputes - the EU essentially puff up their chest and say "you dare challenge the mighty EU? You must be smitten!!" Do you think the EU will ever dissolve, or descend into petty factional disputes? I keep hoping.
                  Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                  (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

It would seem that our Coast Guard are intercepting Portuguese vessels at the limit of our territorial waters fishing illegally. It would seem that some European Union countries don't care about the fact that they are fishing the Grand Banks dry and we in Canada will suffer for this. Might not be taking us seriously then. What will it take? Another seizure of a ship?

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                      It would seem that our Coast Guard are intercepting Portuguese vessels at the limit of our territorial waters fishing illegally. It would seem that some European Union countries don't care about the fact that they are fishing the Grand Banks dry and we in Canada will suffer for this. Might not be taking us seriously then. What will it take? Another seizure of a ship?
                      Sink a few, then they might pay attention.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X