New Spanish Gov't wastes no time leaving Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Spanish Gov't wastes no time leaving Iraq

First day in office, he demands Spanish troops leave Iraq in the "shortest possible time."

Spain to remove troops
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

What a bunch of sad sorry sell-out losers.

Oh well, we didn't need them anyway.

Hang on - it says in this article that the Spanish PM is acting to salve his uneasy nation . That's a typo' isn't it? Don't they mean acting to SLAVE his uneasy nation - as in slave themselves to all of the terrorists' future demands?

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

It was always his intention to withdraw them anyway. It was one of his election promises.

Now imagine that, a politician keeping an election promise!

However from a military point of view it makes little difference.

The only ones out there preparded to take serious casualties are the US forces and the Iraqi opposition.

Even Tony Blair would be under pressure to pull out if there was an Arab Revolt in the British Zone of occupation. Indeed the British Commander in Basra said on TV yesterday that he could not sustain a situation where the local leaders made it clear they did want the British there any longer.

I think myself though its only a matter of time before that does happen. In the sense that attacks are launched on the British Army that result in soldiers getting killed. What then?
      http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Well having worked with soldiers from the Spanish Legion, if that unit was deployed in Iraq, I can assure everyone they are very pissed off at having to leave!!
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

A politician that kept a campaign promise by pulling troops out of a combat zone with allies? This is wrong in SO many ways.
          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Australia will be next if the Labor opposition is voted in at the coming election, with or without a terror incident.
            "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

Comment

It seems that Spain and France have quite a kinship. If not for the Potuguese, I would suggest to cut the Iberian Peninsula away from Europe, and let it drift south. Then perhaps a moat running the length of France's land border, and maybe use it for Belgium, Germany Switzerland and Italy to conduct artillery practice.
              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

They'll need at home. I would wager that ETA is planning something even now....

Comment

Yeah, this is rediculous...

If major powers like Spain start dropping out, pretty soon it'll be just us and the Brits...and we need more help than that....
                  "De Opresso Liber"
                  (Liberty to the Opressed)
                  -Green Beret Motto

Eternal Father, grant, we pray,
                  To all Marines, both night and day,
                  The courage, honor, strength, and skill
                  Their land to serve, thy law fulfill;
                  Be thou the shield forevermore
                  From every peril to the Corps.
                  --Alternate Verse, U.S.N. Hymn

-"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?"
                  -"No...but i served in a company of heroes."

"What our enemies have begun, we will finish,"
                  - President George W. Bush
                  in his address to the nation on September 11, 2002.

The Soldiers Prayer
                  "When They Go To Heaven,
                  To Saint Peter They Will Tell;
                  One More Soldier Reporting Sir,
                  I've Served My Time In Hell"

Comment

Originally posted by tactician01
                    Yeah, this is rediculous...

If major powers like Spain start dropping out, pretty soon it'll be just us and the Brits...and we need more help than that....
                    We're not that useless are we?

Dr. S.
                    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

How about a response along the lines of; "We appreciate the efforts of Spain in the war and occupation in Iraq. We are sorry to see them leave the Coalition at this time and we would welcome them back in the future should they choose to return."

What do you think; leaves too many bridges standing? Better to embark on the long term plan of calling them names? After we alienate the Spanish people, we can start on the Italians.
                      And we are here as on a darkling plain
                      Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
                      Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

Comment

Here is an interesting snippet from CNN on the Spanish withdrawl:

But the news pleased Muqtada al-Sadr, the influential Shiite cleric who is hiding in the holy city of Najaf, where the Spanish troops are deployed,

"We have noticed that the coalition has pulled back," al-Sadr spokesman Sheikh Qais al-Khazaali said Monday.

"Muqtada al-Sadr has ordered the Mehdi Army to stop all attacks on the Spanish troops after they decided to pull out of Iraq."

Full Story

Spain is a free country and can leave at any time...but if they pull out so fast as to put other allied troops in harm's way it could get ugly...especially if it is purely a political gesture.
                        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                          We're not that useless are we?

Dr. S.
                          Not useless at all. There is just not enough of you, or us anymore.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Can anybody say "Neville Chamberlain"? Maybe we should send the Spanish PM one of those funny suits that Chamberlain wore. It may make him feel more comfortable
                            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

spanish army? whats that?
                              "The strength of an Army lies in strict discipline and undeviating obedience
                              to its officers."

-Thucydides

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X