US Peacekeeping (or trying to be)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Peacekeeping (or trying to be)

In my opinion it feels very much like be a peacekeeping force for the world. Is it me or is that the United Nations job? When we went to Iraq to "help" the Iraqis but what really did was INVADE a country. We in the United States are supposed to be a peaceful country and today i think some politicians... cough cough George W Bush... have been trying to help to many people. Our military is in so many foreign places that i here they are going to start the draft again.
    Navy Seals- The only easy day was yesterday

I think that we are a long ways from the draft, and Rumsfeld has said many times that he is completely agianst it, so unless a new major conflict starts we probably won't have one.

I think to a certain extent we have to play policeman of the world, we are after all one of the biggest military powers, and we cant always just sit idlely by, and watch massive genocide take place.

Comment

Ahh to be 14 again.....
      Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by Captain America
        Ahh to be 14 again.....
        Ahh, come on CA give him a little credit... he's at least 15.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Okay there hero... what is going on in Iraq is called Peace Making.

There is a different son. You have to have a treaty, agreement, or accord of some kind to do peace keeping. What we are doing in Iraq is forcing a condition of lack of violence. This is harder than peacekeeping because there is active resistance.

Few people note the difference between the two, but it is significant in the way that it has to be approached. A lot more combat power is needed for peace making vs peace keeping.

This is really a FID (Foreign Internal Defense (training)) and peace making mission.

Comment

Wow, that is the most ill-informed thing I've heard since this morning when I was listening to Bill Maurh (spelling) ramble about hippie BS. I don't think Bush is incredibly concerned with "helping other people". I do believe that Bush has made a strong case that he is commited to helping America before he helps other countries. The peace making in Iraq is a duty of the American military and coalition because we deemed that Iraq posed a threat to American national sec.. Now if you want to look at the peace keeping missions around the world the most prodominant is the peace keeping mission in the Balkans (Kosovo and Bosnia). Now, who in the world authorized troops for the balkans, I do believe it was Clinton not Bush. As far as peace keeping being the job of the UN, the US is the UN. Without the US, the UN would fall to shambles. If the US completely pulled out of the Balkans, so would the rest of the military presence there. When someone says that the UN is going to perform operations, it is pretty the same thing as saying that the US is performing operations

Comment

Originally posted by Benjock123
              Wow, that is the most ill-informed thing I've heard since this morning when I was listening to Bill Maurh (spelling) ramble about hippie BS. I don't think Bush is incredibly concerned with "helping other people". I do believe that Bush has made a strong case that he is commited to helping America before he helps other countries. The peace making in Iraq is a duty of the American military and coalition because we deemed that Iraq posed a threat to American national sec.. Now if you want to look at the peace keeping missions around the world the most prodominant is the peace keeping mission in the Balkans (Kosovo and Bosnia). Now, who in the world authorized troops for the balkans, I do believe it was Clinton not Bush. As far as peace keeping being the job of the UN, the US is the UN. Without the US, the UN would fall to shambles. If the US completely pulled out of the Balkans, so would the rest of the military presence there. When someone says that the UN is going to perform operations, it is pretty the same thing as saying that the US is performing operations
              Well, you know, at that age, thinking is so concrete, so I guess maybe we should a bit (but just a bit) understanding. Reality has a funny way of smacking just about anybody in the face eventually. After that, if they do not come to their senses, THEN we have a go at him. Certainly, some people were maybe expecting everything to be resolved by now - as irrational and unrealistic that may be.

Completely off the subject, I actually talked to a local recruiter about going back, but I'm TOO OLD Well, I had to try - my mom would have had a fit if she knew.
              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Your worry about your mom? GOD MY WIFE scares the **** out of me. I brought up the topic of going back to AD and got not just The Look, but The Look and I am going to kill you slowly.

Comment

Hog you are going to have to contact the head of your recruiting program general whoever to do it. We had SNCO's and Officers that came back at the age of 60+ due to thier knowledge in thier MOS. Yours was intel so im sure they are short handed they always are in that one.

Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by RetPara
                    Your worry about your mom? GOD MY WIFE scares the **** out of me. I brought up the topic of going back to AD and got not just The Look, but The Look and I am going to kill you slowly.
                    I know where you're coming from - that's why I never got fitted for a wife. I'm told that they detach certain parts once the "i do's" are done.

Comment

Originally posted by Marines
                      Hog you are going to have to contact the head of your recruiting program general whoever to do it. We had SNCO's and Officers that came back at the age of 60+ due to thier knowledge in thier MOS. Yours was intel so im sure they are short handed they always are in that one.

Semper Fi
                      Yeah, there are "aggravating factors" in the way. You'll excuse if I don't give details.

Comment

Peacekeeping is really a misnomer if applied to US forces. The American military is the world's best warfighting machine. Their forces almost always win any war they go into. Its after the war that they start to have problems. Simply said, the US troops are not designed for peacekeeping duties, hence the problems in Iraq.
                        I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
                        -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X