Public execution??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public execution??

I was watching a debate on television awhile back about the capture of Bin Laden and whether of not they would hold a public execution for him. (If captured alive)
    If just for the families of the victims of 9/11 if they wanted to witness it or if it should be "open" to adults willing to watch it.
    On the same level, what would they do with Hussein?
    What do you guys think about this idea?

Mark
    Deo Vindice
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Well, over here we had a "news" item which stated that, following a survey, 2/3 of Americans would (apparently) willingly PAY to watch the execution on live TV - i.e. a "Pay Per View" deal.

This is one of those things where I am both repulsed and intrigued at the same time, and I'm not sure how I'd answer if I was given the option myself...

If I may temporarily dip into a completely inappropriate "Flippant Mode", I may be an evil Supervillain, but there are limits...

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

pay per view execution is probably the most tasteless thing I've ever heard. While I generally oppose death penalties', I think Saddam (like Hitler or Stalin) is the type of criminal to whom death penalty could be applied. However, I don't think his execution should be a show. In any case, in the end what to do with Saddam should be the decision of a democratically elected Iraqi government.

Comment

agree

I agree that a pay-per-view event would not be what most people would want.
        I do remember, though, that when he was first captured most of the Iraqis who knew of it were calling for his trial and execution within two weeks.
        I dont know how the "interim" gov. will handle it.
        The biggest question about the executions, though, would be if the survivors and victims' families should be allowed to view the execution of Bin Laden if he is captured alive?

Mark
        Deo Vindice
        Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Not to discount the numbers that might watch an execution of bin Laden or Hussein, in my home town there is another candidate for public execution.

I live in Fairfax, Virginia and work in Rockville, Maryland, two of the ciities that had victims fall to the snipers that menaced the area in 2002. I know personally the fear that gripped the region and made every day chores a frightening challenge for all but the most fearless.

Now that John Muhammed's death sentence has been announced I wonder how many in the area would want to see his execution.

I base this on my own wife's response when his final verdict was announced. All she said was, "What channel will it be on?"
          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

How?

How will John Muhammed be executed? What's the method in your State? How do you think he SHOULD go? I.E. should the punishment in some way fit the crime?

Come to that, how do you reckon Bin Laden should be executed, assuming this was even an option of course?

Sorry, just being a bit morbid and gruesome...

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Public execution??

Originally posted by last_cav1971
              I was watching a debate on television awhile back about the capture of Bin Laden and whether of not they would hold a public execution for him. (If captured alive)
              If just for the families of the victims of 9/11 if they wanted to witness it or if it should be "open" to adults willing to watch it.
              On the same level, what would they do with Hussein?
              What do you guys think about this idea?

Mark
              Deo Vindice
              Public executions are never a good idea. They tend to present the executors in a very bad light, childish, arrogant, vindictive. Essentially demands a response on the part of the executed's organization
              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: How?

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                How will John Muhammed be executed? What's the method in your State? How do you think he SHOULD go? I.E. should the punishment in some way fit the crime?

Come to that, how do you reckon Bin Laden should be executed, assuming this was even an option of course?

Sorry, just being a bit morbid and gruesome...

Dr. S.
                In Virginia it's the good old lethal injection.

Personally I think he should be left in a closed room with the families of the victims...........................

As for Bin Laden......non stop disco music.
                Lance W.

Comment

Re: Re: Public execution??

Originally posted by hogdriver
                  Public executions are never a good idea. They tend to present the executors in a very bad light, childish, arrogant, vindictive. Essentially demands a response on the part of the executed's organization
                  I tend to agree that now that we have cable and satellite TV to fill our time public executions are no longer the social event they once were.

OOPS.......bad joke!

I agree. While I am not against the death penalty I do think the actual executions need to be carried out with a little fan fare as possible.
                  Lance W.

Comment

You could lock him in a shipping container and bury it beneath the newly poured concrete foundations of the building that's going to replace the WTC?

Or staple his beard to the rear of a truck and drive away, very fast.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                      You could lock him in a shipping container and bury it beneath the newly poured concrete foundations of the building that's going to replace the WTC?
                      The guys here in Basrah kinda like this one with the caveat that there be an airhole...well, not really air hole, but the drain from the portapotty....
                      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                      http://www.mormon.org
                      http://www.sca.org
                      http://www.scv.org/
                      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

That's if he survives the interrogation... I have it on good authority from friends in-theater that by putting a detainee into a sensory deprivation state then put continious playing tracks of 'Dr Laura' lecturing in both Engligh and Arabic. Maximum cooperation is usually gained in about 10 - 15 minutes. Some detainees have just completely cracked up and require hospitalization. Most of friends agree that they couldn't of taken more than a minute or two of it.

One possible alternative for both Uncle Saddam and Cousin Usama is rotating them between the cell of Martha Stewart and the guy who killed the 9 in Fresno. That is being debated though because there are some that contend putting them in with Martha could be considered far worse than what either of them ever planned or attempted....

There are limts I gues...:nonono:

Comment

Ret Para:
                          No problem, as long as you throw in Mullah Omar ("old one eye"), and that they all 3 get to table dance at the Blue Oyster Bar in San Francisco on Sat nights! (hands tied and shackled, of course)

Barring that, I'd like to put each of them in a bag, along with an anvil, a small glass vial of battery acid, 6 pounds of pig feces, 5 pounds of broken glass, 4 rusty razorblades, 3 pinecones, 2 rabid squirrels, and a cat, then chain them to the back of an LA-bound Greyhound bus with a malfunctioning exhaust system.

Hmmm...I guess I need a pretty big bag. OK...disregard...I'll hook a chain through any body part that comes to mind and then to the bus. Let's see how fast they can run.
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Dr Laura? *shudder*

I do like the foundation idea tho'.
                            Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

The same as the Nazis executed after judgment at Nurenburg.

Execute them in obscurity, cremate them, and give over their ashes to a group of trusted non-coms to go out into a dark rainy night to dump their ashes in a - never to be revealed - ditch or gutter somewhere, so as to eliminate a landmark/holy site/shrine locale for those that would make one.
                              On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X