Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What military force types are most important today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johns624
    replied
    I remember posting years ago that I thought that an MEU, between its power and mobility, was probably the most efficient military force of its size, by far.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by 82redleg View Post
    "Amphibious group" is not a US DOD term.You'd have to ask the poster if he meant the whole kit and kaboodle or the USN transport unit when he wrote "amphibious group"- I read it as the USN transport unit.
    If you are referring to me, I thought I was pretty clear:

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    I picked amphibious groups because just about everything else on that list can fall under it's umbrella.
    I understood what John was asking because he separated the various types of naval ships. I've been on multiple ARGs from MEU to MEB.....even a special purpose one. Each of them has had components of other services on them. We've had frigates, destroyers, submarines, Army units, even once a couple of B-52s......all part of the amphibious group (ARG).

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    It's nice to see that Dear Leader voted for every category...

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    I meant it as an ARG. Amphibious transport ships are just empty ships without an MEU. Other countries don't have MEUs as such, but it's not much different than a RM Commando or other marine units, just "heavier".

Leave a comment:

• 82redleg
    replied
    "Amphibious group" is not a US DOD term. A MEU embarked on a PHIBRON (at least I think that is the correct USN unit) makes an "Amphibious Ready Group". You'd have to ask the poster if he meant the whole kit and kaboodle or the USN transport unit when he wrote "amphibious group"- I read it as the USN transport unit.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

it literally does mean the Navy. every unit commander of a MEU answers to the SECNAV in the end.
    Read the poll question again. He separated submarines, destroyers, and frigates from amphibious groups.

The CATF is Navy, the CLF can be Navy or the ground force commander. The LF is the ground force commander. This chain of command transfers during an amphibious operation. The CATF & CLF do not command the LF. This is doctrinal, check out JP 3-02.

The SecNav falls under the SecDef. Going by what you are saying the Navy falls under the DOD....that pretty much negates your point.
    Last edited by Nichols; 16 Jul 19, 21:08.

Leave a comment:

• General_Jacke
    replied

I completely agree, that is why I picked amphibious groups. Our two Sailors decided that I meant Navy.
    it literally does mean the Navy. every unit commander of a MEU answers to the SECNAV in the end.

Leave a comment:

• General_Jacke
    replied

Which in the US consist of the landing force whether it be Marines or Army. You take the ground forces off of the ships and you no longer have an amphibious force.

......even my daughter knows this.

Are you now going to claim that the Navy was the assualt force on June 6th 1944?
    navy has their own infantry. currently in small numbers, but aside from the the USMC is not it's own independent branch of the military the USMC is part of the DoN.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    No service is most important. You need a proper mix to meet the national needs.

Pruitt
    I completely agree, that is why I picked amphibious groups. Our two Sailors decided that I meant Navy.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    No service is most important. You need a proper mix to meet the national needs.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

which in the US are the navy...
    Which in the US consist of the landing force whether it be Marines or Army. You take the ground forces off of the ships and you no longer have an amphibious force.

......even my daughter knows this.

Are you now going to claim that the Navy was the assualt force on June 6th 1944?
    Last edited by Nichols; 16 Jul 19, 00:43.

Leave a comment:

• General_Jacke
    replied

No, amphibious groups.
    which in the US are the navy...

Leave a comment:

• Dear_Leader
    replied
    All wromen like to give Dear Leader speciar peepy-peepy look:

Because Dear Leader biggest badass in Bestest Kolea, nobody have testricrals to attack Bestest Korlea. Like fathrel, like son:

Leave a comment:

• Dear_Leader
    replied
    I have Infantly:

I have Speciar Fowces:

Image result for north korean women soldiers

I have Ail Fowce:

I have Navry:

Image result for north korean women soldiers

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied