Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What military force types are most important today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What military force types are most important today?

What types of forces do you think are most necessary for a country to have in today's world? I left off nuclear arms, carrier battle groups and strategic bombers since very few countries have or could afford them. You can vote for more than one, but try to choose only 3-4 and give some reasons. If I missed something, vote Other and say what it is.
    Attack Submarines
    31.25%
    Destroyers/Frigates
    25.00%
    Amphibious Groups
    37.50%
    Armored Brigades
    6.25%
    Elite Infantry (Rangers, Commandos, etc)
    37.50%
    Special Forces
    31.25%
    Air Transport
    25.00%
    Fighters
    18.75%
    Tactical Bombers
    6.25%
    Other
    50.00%
    Last edited by johns624; 09 Jul 19, 17:16. Reason: oopsed

Infantry, not necessarily elite or special forces.

Just look at all the problems the irregular forces of the former Jugoslav republics caused, even in the face of NATO superiority and firepower. Also, the Mudjahedin of Afghanistan and Taliban are good examples of dedicated combatants with low levels of technological support. The Viet Cong are another good example.
    ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
    2) Enjoy playing it
    3) Enjoy sharing it
    4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

I voted for 3--Destroyers/Frigates, Amphibious Groups and Elite Infantry.
      It seems like the major hotspots today are the South China Sea and the Persian Gulf. I don't believe there will be any invasions but raids are possible. Small surface combatants are needed to protect sea lines of communication. Amphibious groups seem to be more prevalent with smaller navies because small raids (company to battalion sized) and noncombatant evacs may be required. That's where the elite infantry comes in. If you have a limited number of troops, they should be good. Something along the lines of a USMC MEU(SOG), RM Cdo or the French, Italian or Australian equivalents.

Comment

I haven't voted yet but subs would get one vote from me, I might vote other on a couple of things... satellites, cyber warfare, and UAVs, these would be a couple that come to mind.

I'm busy right now so I'll elaborate and throw in my votes later.
        Last edited by Achtung Baby; 13 Jul 19, 04:53.
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

What for? Self defense, or expeditionary policing? Something else? Against what opponent(s)? Context is all important

Comment

Well I decided on stuff if I wanted to get at someone, attack sub with special forces and drone strike/recon abilities.

Of course if I was the ruler of Grand Duchy of Fenwick, being a tiny landlocked nation, and wanted to make war on California vineyards we would need a secret submarine base somewhere.

220px-Flag_grand_fenwick.gif
            Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 09 Jul 19, 22:04.

Comment

Originally posted by 82redleg View Post
              What for? Self defense, or expeditionary policing? Something else? Against what opponent(s)? Context is all important
              Today's world.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post

Today's world.
                For what? The requirements of a global superpower are very different than that of a local self-defense force that is facing an insurgent threat. That's why we laugh about the Afghans asking for F16s.

If I'm going to project power, then logistics and strike are important, and if I'm projecting for CT or other limited missions, said can rely on SOF or other specialized forces for my limited land power requirements.

If I'm focused on securing a population and land border against insurgency, then large numbers of decent infantry are required, along with some higher end infantry to conduct the disruptive strikes against bases, staging, headquarters, etc.

If I'm facing a conventional threat, then defensive capabilities like air defense become more important, and I need havy maneuver forces.

Context is all about important

Comment

Medium size First World country with no (or only minor) on-border threats who wants to contribute to the overall peace.

Comment

Voted special forces. They give an option of working non-state threats in addition to conducting covert operations against nation-states. This capability combined with the return of our economic strength gives us options beyond diplomatic pressure.
                    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                      Medium size First World country with no (or only minor) on-border threats who wants to contribute to the overall peace.
                      Voted air transport and other, for expeditionary medical capability. Both have great utility across the spectrum from disaster relief/humanitarian assistance to large scale conventional combat operations.

Most of the other capabilities have much less broad utility.

Comment

For a landlocked country, I'd pick special forces, armoured brigade and fighters.
                        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                        Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

I picked amphibious groups because just about everything else on that list can fall under it's umbrella.
                          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                            I picked amphibious groups because just about everything else on that list can fall under it's umbrella.
                            so the navy...
                            the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                            A man dies and leaves his name,
                            A teacher dies and teaches death.
                            Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

so the navy...
                              No, amphibious groups.
                              "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X