Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian MBTs are MIA

Canada downsizing to Strykers?

In the War on Terror, Main Battle Tanks are becoming a thing of the past. Close combat in cities has never been a strong point of the tank...but it sounds like our Canandian allies are falling behind in MBT readiness and moving to a lighter Stryker force. Are they smart or crazy?
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

It is maybe not a good idea. The Gulf War II proved that the MBT is still very important.

LaPalice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

Comment

I guess it depends where the "next war" will be fought. MBT's are great in the open desert, but in tight quarters (jungles, cities, mountains, etc.) a more agile vehicle might be preferred.

If the next war is in the desert, send the Americans...but if it is in the jungle we'll send the Canadians!
      Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPalice
        It is maybe not a good idea. The Gulf War II proved that the MBT is still very important.

LaPalice.
        True, MBTs are still a very important part of the battlefield and will probably remain so for the forseeable future.

The question is whether the Canadian Army needs MBTs.
        The last time Canada sent MBTs abroad for military ops was Kosovo. 4 Leos were sent IIRC.

Considering the role Canada's military plays on the world stage, the Stryker appears to be tailor made for it.
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

M-1s are fun for Iraqis

MBTs have big value. They are a pain to keep running, a pain to move, and a huge pain to supply. There value is still very high. Look at Samarra today. 56 dead Iraqis and o americans. 120mm, 50 cal and coax makes the Iraqi go boom.

Comment

Re: M-1s are fun for Iraqis

Originally posted by LudwickD
            MBTs have big value. They are a pain to keep running, a pain to move, and a huge pain to supply. There value is still very high. Look at Samarra today. 56 dead Iraqis and o americans. 120mm, 50 cal and coax makes the Iraqi go boom.
            I see that you are currently in Iraq! Well thanks for visiting our site and more importantly thanks for your service! Are you in the National Guard or Reserves? Your profile says you are normally a science teacher! Reminds me of the scene in Saving Private Ryan where after a firefight Tom Hank's character has difficulty recalling his prior life as an English teacher and wonders how he'll ever get back to doing that. Good luck to you there. Stay safe. Hooah!
            Publisher
            Armchair General Magazine
            Weider History Group

Comment

I am a reservist in a QM company. I was put in a Corps Support Group HQ as the Battle Captain. We have no MBTs on our base, but they are on many of the forward bases 3 or 4 miles outside of the gate. THey help when the enemy wants to drive around the post.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X