Military 'nouvelle cuisine'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military 'nouvelle cuisine'?

Anyone tasted this new food in the field? I also like the 'indestructible sandwich' concept... Simply amazing.

'But Hydration Technology Inc, in Albany, Oregon, which made the membrane, warned it is too coarse to filter out urea so soldiers should only use urine in an absolute emergency.'

Well duh!

Actually its a good idea, but if the situation was that dire that urine was needed wouldnt it conserve your body fluids to not eat?
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
      Actually its a good idea, but if the situation was that dire that urine was needed wouldnt it conserve your body fluids to not eat?
      That puzzles me too. Possibly you have to evacuate urine anyway, unless your kidneys malfunction at a certain point? A qualified medical advice could come in handy. Is there a doctor in the assistance?

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
        Anyone tasted this new food in the field? I also like the 'indestructible sandwich' concept... Simply amazing.
        I haven't tried them yet, but someone pissed in my Wheaties the other day!

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
          'But Hydration Technology Inc, in Albany, Oregon, which made the membrane, warned it is too coarse to filter out urea so soldiers should only use urine in an absolute emergency.'

Well duh!

Not really. Actually, any moisture in the food needed by the body will be reabsorbed anyway, usually in the small intestine just prior to the feces moving to the rectal vault for evacuation.

The main reason they make this claim is a selling point and hooah crap for the military. Anyone who's ever been in the military knows you ALWAYS ensure you have enough water or access to filtration before even worrying about food. Man can, on the average, live for 30 days or more without food. He can't last more than about 72 hours without water.

20 years as a medic has finally paid off!

Comment

Yum-Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
              That puzzles me too. Possibly you have to evacuate urine anyway, unless your kidneys malfunction at a certain point? A qualified medical advice could come in handy. Is there a doctor in the assistance?
              I am a doctor.
              The kidneys produce urine to excrete waste products that are unrelated to food intake (though very high protein intake will increase these waste products). As the body looses fluids the urine output will decrease until it reaches zero.

When food is consumed it is digested into its constituents that are absorbed in the bowel. When the energy in the food is relaeased by oxygenation one of the waste products is water (C6H12O6 + O2 -> CO2 + H2O). A normal diet in a normal weight person will produce about 600 ml of water daily.

Hope this helps.
              ...the troops of love are pulling out... (D.A.D.)

Comment

Originally posted by rasmus
                I am a doctor.
                The kidneys produce urine to excrete waste products that are unrelated to food intake (though very high protein intake will increase these waste products). As the body looses fluids the urine output will decrease until it reaches zero.

When food is consumed it is digested into its constituents that are absorbed in the bowel. When the energy in the food is relaeased by oxygenation one of the waste products is water (C6H12O6 + O2 -> CO2 + H2O). A normal diet in a normal weight person will produce about 600 ml of water daily.

Hope this helps.
                Thanks for the info, I will have learned something today. I would never had thought that eating alone could produce so much urine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X