Inside a Russian nuclear bomber base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside a Russian nuclear bomber base

Check out this link. Is it propaganda or a fascinating insight? The video is amazing. The crews are well up on their "nose art".

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...289329,00.html
    Hitler played Golf. His bunker shot was a hole in one.

If this was propaganda, the Russians would have more likely shown more modern aircraft rather then those two outdated models. So no, I don`t think it`s propaganda.

To be honest, I think this is Russias responce to the NATO expansion from 2004. Since NATO is moving closer to Russias borders, the Kremlin probably felt the need to make a show of strength so that the Western leaders wouldn`t feel too confident about it.
    "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phoenix View Post
      If this was propaganda, the Russians would have more likely shown more modern aircraft rather then those two outdated models. So no, I don`t think it`s propaganda.
      The -160 and -95 make up the backbone of the Russian strategic force... the only thing really missing is the -22.
      Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup View Post
        The -160 and -95 make up the backbone of the Russian strategic force... the only thing really missing is the -22.
        I didn`t say that was incorrect. What I`m saying is that if they wanted to make a propagandic appearance, they would have more likely made two fresh new modern aircraft and showed them off to the reporters. They would try to appear stronger then they really are.
        "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

The Russian have been doing quite a bit of sabre rattling lately between the protests against the missle defense installations planned for ex-Warsaw Pact nations, the resumption of the stategic bomber flights, and the recent pact with Iran etc (no basing rights for use against the signatories).
          The volume of noise makes you wonder if this is a real shift or perhaps an attempt to create a tension to help prop up the domestic front a bit.
          Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
          Normandy 2007
          ACW Border Wars 2008
          Bulge 2008

Comment

Tu-160 is a very menacing aircraft and its white antiflash paint reminds us it was built for but one purpose.

Here's a website with walkaround pictures of Tu-160 including coll interior shots.

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/...show=12&min=24

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
            --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

There are also several arms control treaties up for re-negotiation

So this is probably not a time when the Russians what to appear passive or weak. Showing a news crew around an active base is a quick and easy way to get your message out - the media will do all of the work for you.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Yep, big PR exercise going on in Russia ATM, though i had to smile at the comment made by one of the crew, that the RAF should be pleased with the extra work now!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X