Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winston Churchill's Great Escapade

Winston Churchill's Great Escapade

Historian Carlo D'Este provides us with another extract from his forthcoming new book, Warlord: A Life of Winston Churchill at War.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

I'd vote for him as the most fascinating figure since Napoleon. These excerpts bring that side of him out.
    "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
    -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
      I'd vote for him as the most fascinating figure since Napoleon. These excerpts bring that side of him out.
      I am a big fan of Manchester's unfinished trilogy "The Last Lion." In my humble opinion, that is the best study of the Churchill to this date.
      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I still hold a grudge against Manchester for not finishing that one. 1,029 pages on the Krupp family and not getting to the best part of WSC's life? Bad time allocation. (Not that I can really point fingers, admittedly.)
        "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."

Comment

SHHHHHHHH... no need to let Der Dook Know about this one, lets keep it under out hat , eh!!

Thanks for the heads up , doc, i will try to keep a eye out for this title, i am sure it will be required reading!!

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
            SHHHHHHHH... no need to let Der Dook Know about this one, lets keep it under out hat , eh!!

Thanks for the heads up , doc, i will try to keep a eye out for this title, i am sure it will be required reading!!
            Der Dook wont be here for a few weeks it seems mate...

Back to Winston Churchill...
            When he was First Lord of the Admiralty, he made, some would suggest, a tactical blunder which cost many soldiers lives.
            In 1915, Churchill was one of the political and military engineers of the disastrous Gallipoli landings on the Dardanelles during World War I.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
            Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by achtung baby View Post
              Der Dook wont be here for a few weeks it seems mate...

When he was First Lord of the Admiralty, he made, some would suggest, a tactical blunder which cost many soldiers lives.
              In 1915, Churchill was one of the political and military engineers of the disastrous Gallipoli landings on the Dardanelles during World War I.
              Hard to pick out Winnie for this as it was in vogue to come up with monumental mistakes that costs thousands their lives, WSC didnt have a mortgage on that during this horrible conflict!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
                I still hold a grudge against Manchester for not finishing that one. 1,029 pages on the Krupp family and not getting to the best part of WSC's life? Bad time allocation. (Not that I can really point fingers, admittedly.)
                The poor bastard suffered a series of strokes that eventually took his life. I too wish that he would have been able to finish the trilogy.
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by achtung baby View Post
                  Proving only that if you make many great decisions over many years, you're going to make some wrong ones now and again. Even horribly wrong ones. Roosevelt made fewer wartime blunders because he involved himself in few wartime decisions - being more a domestic policy person and American political animal than a warlord.

Comment

Very interesting article! Chuchill had a chequered past, not all of it good. This is what makes him such an interesting subject to read about.
                    Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                      Very interesting article! Chuchill had a chequered past, not all of it good. This is what makes him such an interesting subject to read about.
                      I believe "Chequered" past would be accurate, given where he lived during the war.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                        Berlin.1945
                        by casanova
                        The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                        Yesterday, 23:41
                      • casanova
                        AW 169M
                        by casanova
                        The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                        Yesterday, 23:26
                      • JBark
                        What changed?
                        by JBark
                        There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                        Yesterday, 18:54
                      Working...
                      X