Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Austrian Army stopped using camouflage:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austrian Army stopped using camouflage:)

trucks, vans, cars and some other vehicles are bought with regular (although dark) colours. the special camouflage colour is too expensive

heck i love the austrian army
    "Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube"
    (May others wage war, you lucky Austria marry)

Are they really just being cheap?

With everyone and his brother sporting thermal sights these days, is camoflage as valuable as it used to be?
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I worked for a company where we would strip down Australian army vehicles to apply radar absorbant paint, green of course!

I think camoflage has its place, more so with soldiers than machines on the field.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Yes, I certainly wouldn't run out and start chrome plating our MBT's and such. I would not be surprised the Austrian Army paint directive only applies to non combat vehicles. We buy ours dark blue or grey in colour, stock.
        Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
        Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
        David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post
          Yes, I certainly wouldn't run out and start chrome plating our MBT's and such. I would not be surprised the Austrian Army paint directive only applies to non combat vehicles. We buy ours dark blue or grey in colour, stock.
          it applies, as far as i know, to all vehicles bought from a regular line of cars, trucks or whatever. so yes lots of them will be non combat vehicles but on the other hand most of those do have a combat assignment due to the fact that the austrian army does not have enough vehicles.

i guess custom made military vehicles be it tanks jeeps or whatever do come with a kind of camouflage colour anyway.

on the other hand most of the austrian barracks at least those build within the last 30 years or so are painted in a bright yellow. idea behind it is to make sure that the barracks get hit and not civilian buildings that are close
          Attached Files
          "Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube"
          (May others wage war, you lucky Austria marry)

Comment

Originally posted by achtung baby View Post
            I think camoflage has its place, more so with soldiers than machines on the field.
            A friend of mine in the Army agrees.

I was recently at a GI Joe Themed party where a friend of mine was putting up an Army camo net for decoration (Don't you wish you had thought of that). He is in the Army and said he got it from work when they were getting rid of stuff. I made some comment about how, "I guess this kind of thing isn't needed anymore because of electronic and thermal detection techniques".

He informed met that this was not so. He said that there is definitely a use for traditional types of camouflage depending on the situation. He gave as an example that not all adversaries have the same level of technological ability. Most in Iraq still depend on visual detection. He also talked about the ongoing development of camouflage, like the new pixelated uniforms. He also said that the net being used for the party also had some signal scattering characteristics along with the visual deception.

Anyway, his conclusion was that the Army still puts a lot of time and energy into developing good visual camouflage.

As for the Austrians, it was probably a cost/benefit decision. They probably think they are more likely to be using their military in peace keeping, disaster relief, and nation building activities rather than actual armed combat in the future so they probably feel they can cut cost in some areas where they see little future need.
            Last edited by Miss Saigon; 21 Sep 07, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
              A friend of mine in the Army agrees.
              A good example is the camo net you describe. It is designed to break up the image of a vehicle visually but it also refracts radar waves, confusing ground surveillance radar.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                A good example is the camo net you describe. It is designed to break up the image of a vehicle visually but it also refracts radar waves, confusing ground surveillance radar.
                And made a fantastic party tent

Comment

Originally posted by achtung baby View Post
                  I worked for a company where we would strip down Australian army vehicles to apply radar absorbant paint, green of course!
                  Will that stuff protect you from police radar guns?

Comment

Originally posted by Mechashef View Post
                    Will that stuff protect you from police radar guns?
                    Not if their radar guns fire live rounds!!!
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Now the thought does occur that maybe the Austrian Armys' idea is to cam in with civilian traffic and cars!!
                      Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                      Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                      David Bowie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X