Tupolev Bears Return-This Time in Force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tupolev Bears Return-This Time in Force

Tupolev Bears have returned in a large gang to challenge the Norwegians and then the RAF.

This encounter was unique because it involved 8 Bears flying in a solemn formation towards Norway. This was the largest formation encountered in recent history. They were intercepted by Norwegian F-16 so they turned away and decided to torment England instead. 4 Tornado F.3s were sent to intercept them and the Bears eventually turned back.

Bean counters in the RAF are highly annoyed because one hour of Tornado flight time costs 40,000 pounds. The slashing of RAF budget after Cold War means the Britons don't have sufficient funds for playing hide and seek games with Bears.

Article from Polands TVP1 channel news. For an excellent high-res picture of a Tornado F.3 interceptor click here.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 06 Sep 07, 20:01.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I suppose it doesn't help, that it likely costs a lot more for the Russian dickheads to fly the Bears to England and back.

Really sad when you figure that Russia has nothing better to do than pretend it's a super power again.

Oh well, each hour in the air, is just more wear and tear on the Bears. And if they get maintained like their subs and ships, they won't be in decent shape if the Russians ever actually need them.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Although Russia isn't a superpower anymore, it's still not a country to be messed with without reason.
      "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

General G. C. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Kong Ming View Post
        Although Russia isn't a superpower anymore, it's still not a country to be messed with without reason.
        Yes, but the US IS a super power, and not a country to be messed with even if you DO have a reason hehe. And more than a few countries have an "understanding" with the US that Russia better get used to accepting.

They can sabre rattle if they need to feel like they mean something, but the truth is, they ain't what they think they are.

This isn't 1980. And Putin simply isn't scary.

Comment

Well if it's costing The UK so much money, the Russians are spending maybe three times as much, if not more!
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
          Bukowski

Comment

That's the sad thing really. The Putin administration is making the whole country look bad. It's really sad that Russia seemed to always suffer from leaders such as him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
              That's the sad thing really. The Putin administration is making the whole country look bad. It's really sad that Russia seemed to always suffer from leaders such as him.
              And to revert back to this Cold War crap is really showing how out of touch some are in power!

A stronger economy would be more beneficial than strategic bomber fly-byes!
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
              Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
                What, they flew some bombers. Let's wet our pants and call it the Evil Empire? As long as the other empire actually uses its bombers to attack other countries Russia doesn't look bad at all. It looks as a much needed balance force, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
                  Oh well, each hour in the air, is just more wear and tear on the Bears.
                  The same could be said about B-52s. And they probably flew a lot more hours than the Bears lately, given the last 3-4 wars the US was involved in.

Also:

All Tu-95s now in Russian service are the Tu-95MS variant, built in the 1980s and 1990s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95

Younger airframe than:

The last production aircraft, a B-52H number 61-0040, left the factory on 26 October 1962.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-52_St...tress#Variants
                  Last edited by Imperial; 07 Sep 07, 03:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
                    The same could be said about B-52s. And they probably flew a lot more hours than the Bears lately, given the last 3-4 wars the US was involved in.

Also:

All Tu-95s now in Russian service are the Tu-95MS variant, built in the 1980s and 1990s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95

Younger airframe than:

The last production aircraft, a B-52H number 61-0040, left the factory on 26 October 1962.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-52_St...tress#Variants
                    Hm..interesting point Imperial , for me , i cant help but think this has something to do with the Russian Govt really pushing through some serious arms deal over the past 6-12 month period. Perhaps by showing that they are capable of not only launching , but sustaining for the past month or two, a return to strategic bomber missions over the northern reaches of Europe , that the Russian arms industry is back , and whats more , can be counted on by future customers that they can rely on the new Russian arms industry to supply and maintain any arms or weapon system which you would care to buy off them. Sound crazy?.... did to me too until i re-read it, now it seems less ridiculous , and more plausible, as i cant think of any sane reason for this behaviour?

Comment

"The secret of politics? Make a good treaty with Russia."
                      Otto von Bismarck
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
                        "The secret of politics? Make a good treaty with Russia."
                        Otto von Bismarck

Comment

Hmmm lets see, US, a nation that actually CAN spend billions upon billions per DAY, day after day, for more than a year, being able to afford maintenance on ITS equipment, or a nation like Russia, so incompetent where making money is concerned, that it has a reputation for being unable to perform routine maintenance at all on things like nuclear submarines.

I'd rather fly on a Canadian Sea King helicopter, than take my chances on ANYthing in the Russian airforce.

I really don't give a damn WHAT the Russian ecomomy "looks" right now, I've been breathing too long to be unaware of what they have been able to do in the last 15 years.

They seem to be good at turning their backs though, on the favours they have gotten in the past, from the very same people they are currently pretending to taught.

Maybe the UK should just fly behind the Bears and put them in missile lock for shits and giggles too. Besides, I'm sure the UK pilots need training, and you can't train for free.
                          Stating how much fuel costs, doesn't alter the fact, that the pilots DO need training. So the politicians might as well just accept it, you can't be a super power for free.

Unless the UK would rather the US get basing rights, and let THEM wave hello to Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
                            Hmmm lets see, US, a nation that actually CAN spend billions upon billions per DAY, day after day, for more than a year, being able to afford maintenance on ITS equipment, or a nation like Russia, so incompetent where making money is concerned, that it has a reputation for being unable to perform routine maintenance at all on things like nuclear submarines.

I'd rather fly on a Canadian Sea King helicopter, than take my chances on ANYthing in the Russian airforce.

I really don't give a damn WHAT the Russian ecomomy "looks" right now, I've been breathing too long to be unaware of what they have been able to do in the last 15 years.

They seem to be good at turning their backs though, on the favours they have gotten in the past, from the very same people they are currently pretending to taught.

Maybe the UK should just fly behind the Bears and put them in missile lock for shits and giggles too. Besides, I'm sure the UK pilots need training, and you can't train for free.
                            Stating how much fuel costs, doesn't alter the fact, that the pilots DO need training. So the politicians might as well just accept it, you can't be a super power for free.

Unless the UK would rather the US get basing rights, and let THEM wave hello to Bears.
                            Very...Well.....Said!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The yanks have still got some basing rights here in East Anglia. There f15's have gone I think but those f22's are welcome come over and do pretty things in the sky. I reckon the RAF are quite chuffed about it. Im sure some guys are up there in their shiny new typhoons moving up alongs side the Russkies saying to his wingman "aaaagh just like the good old days."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X