International Counter-terror team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Counter-terror team

I just finished Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy for the second time, and I was wondering if it would be possible to create a International Counter-terror team like Rainbow? Would it be effective?
    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

It can be done. It can be effective.

But the question is, who's going to be the political authority overlooking such a body? The UN? The UNSC? The leaders of the coalition of the willing? If so, what if some countries object to certain action and disallow their officers from participating? How will this effect the team?

Too many questions.

Better to have national teams at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
      It can be done. It can be effective.

But the question is, who's going to be the political authority overlooking such a body? The UN? The UNSC? The leaders of the coalition of the willing? If so, what if some countries object to certain action and disallow their officers from participating? How will this effect the team?

Too many questions.

Better to have national teams at the moment.
      Not necessarily, would could effectively have an anti-terror made up of nations willing to participate. That would limit the participation of some, but it would be by their own chosing. It would most likely be a British, American, or German command, but that should be up to the countries that are involved...

Comment

Originally posted by jt1863 View Post
        Not necessarily, would could effectively have an anti-terror made up of nations willing to participate. That would limit the participation of some, but it would be by their own chosing. It would most likely be a British, American, or German command, but that should be up to the countries that are involved...
        Perhaps. But it would have to be real tight, between countries that are aligned, and all these could change with each election or with changing geopolitical situation.

In the 1980's, a US/UK/FRG team is definitely a possibility (there might even have been such an organisation that we've never heard of ).

Comment

Most likely, I still think it's possible, I would agree it would have to be an orgainzation of tight allies, I could see:

U.S.
          Canada
          U.K.
          France
          Germany
          Russia
          South Korea
          Japan
          Australia
          South Africa
          Israel
          etc.

Allies can be from all over the world... I am sure I missed some...

Comment

I always thought it rather unpractical to have a counter terror team that always arrives late and with jet-lag, considering it had to cover the entire globe. Given the necesarry charters of Interpol, a "Rainbow" organisation would probably have a lot of trouble concerning what jobs it should go on.
            "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I don't see it as being possible, and it would be redundant.

Comment

It's possible, and there is a bit of a precendent. The First Special Service Force formed in WWII was made up of Canadian and US servicemen and fought with great distinction, especially in Italy.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...unders/special

The smaller the number of contributing nations, and the closer their policies on world affairs, the more likely the command structure for such a unit would work.

I think jt1863's suggested contributors, while interesting, are too diverse.

Right now I could see AUS/UK/US and maybe Canada, the Netherlands and New Zealand.
                Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

I don't see it able to happen unless the group of nations is small and incredibly close.

Even the list Roadkiller gave would be unwieldly. The NZ government recently complained and caused a huge political scandal over Air New Zealand flying Australian troops to Kuwait because some would be serving in Iraq and the NZ government is against that war.

If there is that amount of argument about justification over a commercial charter flight imagine if they were going to do combined terrorism operations.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Roonburg, and skip NZ by the sounds of that.

Canada has had issues politically with the US/Iraq conflict, but Canadian Forces members who are on exchange programs with US units deployed to Iraq were not withdrawn. So I think Canada could participate in such a unit.

Anyone care to hazard a guess on the climate in the Netherlands?
                    Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Thats the core of the problem. Unless the UN accquired a strong executive, able to act in the short term without refrence to the politics du jour such a team would seldom get on the plane due to the inevitable veto by one or another member. The best the UN can do now is field some 'peacekeeping' groups with limited mandates and a inability to intervene in a fast manner. ie: Rawanda.

Comment

The moment when someone's size 12 boot kicks a door of the hinges is a very small part of counter terrorism. there's allot more intel gathering and such. the best use of this type of organisation is to pass details about the intelligence community and police forces, which is Something Interpol probably does. The Door kicking part can be done in house so to speak, and frankly I'd rather have some SAS or CO-19 guy come storming in through the door shooting at the baddies.

Finally which government gets to decide whom are terrorists?
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIRA#Categorisation
                        Winnie says
                        ---------------------------------
                        "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                        Herr Flick.

Comment

Whatever it is, let's hope such a real life organisation would not be called Rainbow Six. I always thought that title sounded more like an organisation to advance gay/lesbian rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                            The moment when someone's size 12 boot kicks a door of the hinges is a very small part of counter terrorism. there's allot more intel gathering and such. the best use of this type of organisation is to pass details about the intelligence community and police forces, which is Something Interpol probably does. The Door kicking part can be done in house so to speak, and frankly I'd rather have some SAS or CO-19 guy come storming in through the door shooting at the baddies.

Finally which government gets to decide whom are terrorists?
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIRA#Categorisation

I think Listy hit the nail on the head.............................................. .........

Besides.....

A multi-national strike force sounds good and the guys hand picked to do the job I'm sure would love the job. But unfortunately once politics and Command egos get involved it would become a clusterf**k. The troops are not problem, it's the Suits at the top. For some it's a turf issue for others it's votes. Hell if we let the SgtMaj's of the world run the show, untethered, I'm sure most of the Thudf**kers of the world would be in the ground.

...............POP oh damn I just woke up!!
                            Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                            Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                            David Bowie

Comment

John Edwards just proposed that an international body be formed to fight terrorism.

Wow, how about that, a discussion topic in ACG actually become a policy proposal? Are we good or what?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X