The Pig War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pig War

The Pig War (also called the Pig Episode, the San Juan Boundary Dispute or the Northwestern Boundary Dispute) was a confrontation in 1859 between American and British authorities, resulting from a dispute over the boundary between the United States and British North America, specifically in regards to the San Juan Islands, which separate Washington state and British Columbia. It is so called because the war was triggered by the shooting of a pig. The pig was the only intentional casualty of the war making it essentially bloodless.
    Tensions grew and both the United States and Great Britain sent forces to the island. George Pickett of Gettysburg fame commanding the initial garrison of 66 men from the 9th infantry, staring down a British force of one thousand men and three warships said "We'll make a Bunker Hill of it." James Buchanan eventually dispatched General Winfield Scott to the island to resolve the dispute.

Both sides argeed to jointly control the island for the time being until the issue was finally resolved in 1872 when a neutral Kaiser Wilhelm was tasked to decide the rightful owners of the island. He ruled that the islands were rightfully the property of the United States and remain so to this day.

Today the Union Flag still flies above the "British Camp", being raised and lowered daily by park rangers, making it one of the very few places without diplomatic status where US government employees regularly hoist the flag of another country.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War

Funny that. There has been a Pig War between Serbia and the Austrian Empire in the early nineteenth century as well. Thought this thread referred to that one, but apparently there have been two (at least, perhaps even more... ). One never is too old to learn something new, or re-learn something old for that matter
    3 bottles of champagne, 3 wenches and 20 miles on horseback; all in 3 hours!

Comment

The Republic of Texas and France nearly had a falling out over Texas pigs around 1841 - they tended to roam through the streets of Austin unattended (and often wild), and did some damage to the French legate's property.

There was also a Pastry War between France and Mexico that was anything but bloodless (sparked by claims of a French baker against the Mexican government).
      "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
      -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

And in case anyone wants to wargame this, here's a set of rules:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18373
        --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Originally posted by The Cooler King View Post
          Tensions grew and both the United States and Great Britain sent forces to the island.

Both sides argeed to jointly control the island for the time being until the issue was finally resolved in 1872 when a neutral Kaiser Wilhelm was tasked to decide the rightful owners of the island. He ruled that the islands were rightfully the property of the United States and remain so to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War
          I've been to that hallowed ground a couple of times. Last time I stayed at the Hotel DeHaro at the north end of San Juan Island in the Roche Harbor
          Resort. Stayed in the Presidential Suite where Teddy Roosevelt stayed during his great tour of the West in the earliest part of the 20th Century.
          Originally there was a limestone quarry at the site. Today you can rent bungalows (small cottages) where the managing staff used to live. There is a webcam available on the internet of this site. As I recall I had a BLT sandwich for lunch that day I last visited. You'll have a whale of a good time visiting the island if the Orca whales are migrating like they were when I last visited.
          17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

I believe the Chinese attacked India in 1962 on the pretext of missing / kidnapped / illegally detained sheep.

Comment

Interesting post and news to me, was that the last transfer of land?
              Sealion would have failed..............runs,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X