You inspire me: List of countries without armed forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You inspire me: List of countries without armed forces

Being inspired by you guys I start to read some stuff and sometimes happen on some fun information.
    ----
    List of countries without armed forces
    This is a list of the 24 countries that do not maintain an army. The term "country" is used in the sense of independent state; thus, it applies only to sovereign states and not dependencies whose defense is the responsibility of another country or an army alternative. Note: some nations such as Iceland, San Marino, Monaco, and St. Kitts and Nevis have no standing army, but still have a non-police military force.

Andorra
    Costa Rica
    Dominica
    Grenada
    Haiti
    Iceland
    Kiribati
    Liechtenstein
    Marshall Islands
    Mauritius
    Micronesia
    Monaco
    Nauru
    Palau
    Panama
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    Samoa
    San Marino
    Solomon Islands
    Tuvalu
    Vanuatu
    Vatican City

Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Monaco, and Palau have no say in defense matters and little say in international relations. Andorra can call for help. Iceland has a defense agreement with the USA. All the others (18 countries) stand fully responsible and independent, without an army, for defense matters.

Seven of them (Costa Rica, Dominica, Grenada, Haiti, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Panama) went through a process of demilitarization. All the 17 others, including Andorra over 700 years ago, were at one point born without an army, mostly because they were (some still are) under protection from a more powerful nation by the time they became independent. They are all thought to be in a situation of "non-militarization".

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of...t-armed-forces
    Dearest of all my Friends(Vlad in max payne 2)

Doesn't the Vatican have the 'Swiss Guards' while largely ceremonial they are still technically an army.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by owen36 View Post
      Being inspired by you guys I start to read some stuff and sometimes happen on some fun information.
      ----
      List of countries without armed forces
      This is a list of the 24 countries that do not maintain an army. The term "country" is used in the sense of independent state; thus, it applies only to sovereign states and not dependencies whose defense is the responsibility of another country or an army alternative. Note: some nations such as Iceland, San Marino, Monaco, and St. Kitts and Nevis have no standing army, but still have a non-police military force.

Andorra
      Costa Rica
      Dominica
      Grenada
      Haiti
      Iceland
      Kiribati
      Liechtenstein
      Marshall Islands
      Mauritius
      Micronesia
      Monaco
      Nauru
      Palau
      Panama
      Saint Kitts and Nevis
      Saint Lucia
      Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
      Samoa
      San Marino
      Solomon Islands
      Tuvalu
      Vanuatu
      Vatican City

Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Monaco, and Palau have no say in defense matters and little say in international relations. Andorra can call for help. Iceland has a defense agreement with the USA. All the others (18 countries) stand fully responsible and independent, without an army, for defense matters.

Seven of them (Costa Rica, Dominica, Grenada, Haiti, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Panama) went through a process of demilitarization. All the 17 others, including Andorra over 700 years ago, were at one point born without an army, mostly because they were (some still are) under protection from a more powerful nation by the time they became independent. They are all thought to be in a situation of "non-militarization".

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of...t-armed-forces
      Looks like a list of the "coalition of the willing". Sorry, I couldn't resist
      "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by Wustenfuchs View Post
        Looks like a list of the "coalition of the willing". Sorry, I couldn't resist

Smart ahhs, I knew I had seen that list some place before

HP
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Yet, the Haitian Gendarmes(police thugs) repelled a US invasion(landing).
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

You know what is curious.

Some of these countries listed as having no army are member of the regional security system.
            This is the regional security systems countries:

Antigua and Barbuda army
            Barbados army
            Dominica no army
            Grenada no army
            Saint Kitts and Nevis no army
            Saint Lucia no army
            Saint Vincent and the Grenadines no army

So does this mean in case of attack antigua and barbuda and Barbados will intervene? Hmm. Would more likely that they would call for help from the us or so.
            http://www.answers.com/topic/regional-security-system

Comment

The Indians had no army either and they put up a hell of a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                I dont'get this?

Comment

British occupancy of India?

Comment

I mean the Braves: in most American Indian cultures most males acted as warriors. No need for an army.

Comment

Well if you don't have anything worth taking . . .

OTOH if you run a small Carribean island nation you can generally count on US paranoia and the USN/USMC if you get in a spot of trouble. A huge amount of US trade passes through the Carribean and we prefer the place be relatively quiet.
                      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                        OTOH if you run a small Carribean island nation you can generally count on US paranoia and the USN/USMC if you get in a spot of trouble. A huge amount of US trade passes through the Carribean and we prefer the place be relatively quiet.
                        Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the UK responsible for the defense of the Barbados (and maybe other areas in the region)??

Comment

Sounds about right . . .

Obviously I was generalizing. Although now that you mention it I seem to remember that several European nations have defense agreements in the region.

Wasn't there an article about the Dutch reinforcing an island in the face of territorial disputes with Venezuela?
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                            yupper just ask me to take ya visit the ghosts on the Dura......when ya listen real close...... they tell ya all about fighting........Them Comanches dead or not.. are still proud.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                              Obviously I was generalizing. Although now that you mention it I seem to remember that several European nations have defense agreements in the region.

Wasn't there an article about the Dutch reinforcing an island in the face of territorial disputes with Venezuela?
                              What a thought, imagine the Netherlands vs. Venezuela... Would not be nice, but would be extremely interesting. Hope not to see it happen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X