Diesel-electric subs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel-electric subs.

Wonder how much trouble are modern day sub hunters having with very quite conventional subs?

The U.S. navy have leased a Gotland class sub from Sweden to presumedly to
    help solve problems they may have with detecting them and the recent Chinese sub surfacing along side a US carrier recently seems to suggest they have things to work on.

What makes me ask is the record of Collins class subs in recent exercises.

Been watching ''Submariners'' an interesting account of the patrol of HMAS Rankin, a Collins class sub. The Collins class came in for a lot of flak early on, but plenty of dollars latter they've become very deadly.

Rankin before sailing to Japan, took on and torpedoed an ANZAC class frigate, then headed for the Rimpac war games, eager to emulate her sister HMAS Waller, who successfully stalked and "killed" a Los Angeles-class nuclear submarine without detection and took close-in photos of the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln through its periscope, demonstrating it could come within torpedo range without detection.

Rankin's mission was to pass through a choke point between two islands group guarded by The US guided missile destroyers USS O’Kane and USS Paul Hamilton, guided missile frigate USS Reuben James, nuclear submarine USS Key West, Destroyer Squadron 31, six Patrol Squadron anti-submarine P-3C Orion combat crews and Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light 37 united themselves against the Australian “Black Knight”.

If that wasn't hard enough, Rankin was tagged before the start of the exercise and had to shake of it's hunters, which it did, then turned into the hunter.

It shows an Arleigh Burke class on the Rankins periscope, in torpedo range unaware of the Rankins presence as it filmed it.

The US Navy described HMAS Rankin after the exercise as “a formidable opponent”

It's only exercises, but it makes you wonder.

There's another thread somewhere on this.

Comment

Yeah mine!

Would like to know where this info' came from, good detail!!!
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
      Mark Twain.

Comment

A sub ought to generate a pretty big EM signature, I wonder if it's possible to find them with that?

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
          A sub ought to generate a pretty big EM signature, I wonder if it's possible to find them with that?

Of course, but only if they emit.
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Magentic Annomally Detection or MAD. Ultra sensitive magentic field detectors are used to identify that created by the submarines steel hull. The same basic principle as used by magneticlly triggered torpedos.

The trick is at longer ranges one has to sort the submarines magnetic signature out from that of old wrecks, mineral deposits, and odd fluxuations in the Earths magnetic fields. Degaussing the submarines hull, as was done with merchant ships to counter magnetic torpedos, complicates the detection.

A secondary source of EM fields/emissions are the submarines electrical systems. Shielding these helps them to fade ito the background noise.

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
              Of course, but only if they emit.
              ...and in all covert work "Transmission is Treason".

The collins was a mess when it first entered service, wasnt it? Good to see that the design seem to have been worth its money.
              "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by achtung baby View Post
                Yeah mine!

Would like to know where this info' came from, good detail!!!
                Hi ab!

Sorry I missed your thread.

A lot of info on the T.V. film ''Submariners'' have you seen it?

One of the best things ive ever seen on the silent service, if you haven't seen it grab the DVD, I guarantee you wont be disappointed.

As I posted how the Rankin started the exercise being ''tagged'' and it's job was to try and break the track, and it shows how it did it, going dangerously close to shallow littorals, the fact that Rankin eluded 3 helos who'd hacked her before the start of the event says something significant about skills and training, then it shows the Rankin tracking the Burke and maneuvering into a torpedo attack.

Strike one for the silent service.

Interesting to note the capt is ex RN with 25 years in subs including nukes. His opinion is that the Collins are the best conventionals in the world.

Picked up more on local Navy boards, trying to find the links

Originally posted by Pergite View Post
                ...and in all covert work "Transmission is Treason".

The collins was a mess when it first entered service, wasnt it? Good to see that the design seem to have been worth its money.
                Yep, it needed a hell of a lot of TLC, that's for sure, but all's well that ends well I guess.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X