No announcement yet.

Soviet Spetznaz in Afghanistan (Photo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet Spetznaz in Afghanistan (Photo)

Taken in 1988 in Afghanistan. Soviet troops are suiting up for a mission.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Are they allowed to have moustaches? Or are those reservists?
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Good pic MZ, I wonder how many of them survived the war?
      "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
        Are they allowed to have moustaches? Or are those reservists?
        I dont think the Soviet Military much gave a damm about mustaches. Unlike some of my fellow USMC officers who thoughts on them were borderline insane.

Comment

I just assumed the guy with the mustache was their 'Kit Carson' scout, if they even used them.

Comment

Ya. Could be an Afghan translator.

These chaps don't seem to be very well armed.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
              I dont think the Soviet Military much gave a damm about mustaches. Unlike some of my fellow USMC officers who thoughts on them were borderline insane.
              I tihn the Spetnaz were given permission to hav ethem so they can fit in with the enemy, if it comes to it.......doubtful, but you never know.
              I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

In Soviet Army no one gave a damn about mustaches, that's for sure - my father served there and has a mustache.
                'Si vis pacem, para bellum' - Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De Re Militari

Comment

Just a small remark. The guy with mustash is not ethnical Russian.
                  Looks like he is from Caucasus area, i.e. Aiseri, Georgian, Chechen or one of many other ethnical groups.
                  Kind regards
                  Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                  * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                  * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Comment

If it wasent for the one guy in the distinctive striped shirt I would have thought these guys were DRA Army (Democratic Republic of Afghanistan - the Soviet puppet state) especially with the similarity to the tan summer uniforms of the DRA Army.

Comment

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
                      I tihn the Spetnaz were given permission to hav ethem so they can fit in with the enemy, if it comes to it.......doubtful, but you never know.
                      When in the hell did I post in this thread??? ...whatever..
                      I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Egorka View Post
                        Just a small remark. The guy with mustash is not ethnical Russian.
                        Looks like he is from Caucasus area, i.e. Aiseri, Georgian, Chechen or one of many other ethnical groups.
                        I had the same thought.

How do we know this is Speznatz? I hope it's not based on the T-shirts. I'm not sure what Speznatz was supposed to look like -- don't think I ever met one, certainly not one that I knew was one -- so I have no idea what to look for.
                        Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                        http://www.mormon.org
                        http://www.sca.org
                        http://www.scv.org/
                        http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

They don't look anything like special forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Wustenfuchs View Post
                            Good pic MZ, I wonder how many of them survived the war?
                            Most of them :P

The Soviets lost roughly 10,000 to the war in Afghanistan. Thats a pretty low casualty count for a conflict that raged for about 10 years and saw millions rotated through the country.

Comment

The guy with the mustache does have a striped shirt on.

I have tried one of those shirts on before. They are wool and they itch. They are not pleasant to wear.

Notice the clip pouches, it seems that they have either 3 or 6 clips on them, if not more. These guys seem to be ready for some serious stuff.
                              "The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X