Need help from Kraut's!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from Kraut's!!

Hi, i have started this thread because i need some info/help from German speakers.

Today i found a picture of my grandfather in a Australian publication on Australians at War, the volume is on Greece/Crete. The picture looks like it was taken on a ship during the evacuation of Greece to Crete, thats wheat it is meant to represent in the book.

The only info on the origin of the photo is that it comes from 'Ullstein Bilderdienst, Berlin' there is a website i traced which seems to be of an organisation that is a photo archive/gallery http://www.ullsteinbild.de/de_start.htm

The problem is the search engine for the site , which has an english version, is only setup for German words. I hope to be able to find the Pic and hoppefully there wass other taken of him as it seems he is the centre of the photo amongst 3 other men on a ship. (im guessing it is a ship)

Anyway, i need translations of these words to help me through the search options.

Australians, 2/11 Battallion AIF, Prisoners of War, Soldiers, Greece, Crete, evacuation and any other words you think might help, like campaign names etc.

My Grandfather was captured at Crete and spent most of the War in Stalag XIIIB near Hamburg (He wasnt one of Hogan's Heroes tho). So if anyone can help with translations or even have a stab at finding some picks of Aussie pows, especially in that campaign it would be much appreciated.
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Doesn't look good. "Kreta" und "Gefangene" (prisoners) only returns one photo in a field.

The site works extremely lousy for me

If you just enter "kreta" you only get 11 pages, you should probably scan through them.

Also try "Gefangene Weltkrieg" (prisoners + World War), lots of British Helmets.
    Last edited by Redwolf; 22 May 04, 08:00.

Comment

Australians, 2/11 Battallion AIF, Prisoners of War, Soldiers, Greece, Crete, evacuation and any other words you think might help, like campaign names etc.

==>

Australier (or australisch for australian)

Bataillon

Gefangene (prisoners)

Soldaten

Griechenland

Kreta

Evakuierung (or evakuieren or evakuiert)

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf

==>

Australier (or australisch for australian)

Bataillon

Gefangene (prisoners)

Soldaten

Griechenland

Kreta

Evakuierung (or evakuieren or evakuiert)

Thanks Redwolf, i agree the site is a hard one to search even without the language difficulties id say
        Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Further translations i need, what would allied and Commonwealth soldiers be called?

Its a realy good resource that one, for authors or even game developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
            Further translations i need, what would allied and Commonwealth soldiers be called?

Its a realy good resource that one, for authors or even game developers.
            well, Allied Soldiers would be Allierte Soldaten

Commonwealth soldiers would either be Soldaten aus den Britischen (or Englischen) Kolonien, OR Soldaten des Britischen Commonwealth (AFAIK)

You can also try looking for Truppen or Streitkräfte (ä=ae) instead of Soldaten.

Hope I was helpfull...
            "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
            which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
            The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
            returned to its home base."

Comment

Ohh yeah, by the way nice link Temujin.
              "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
              which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
              The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
              returned to its home base."

Comment

Yeah the volume of soldiers is just too much to get thru, these words should help me narrow it down, thanks heaps

Comment

you could try 'evakuierung' (evacuation), returns 4 pages several apparently taken during WW2, maybe that'll help
                  "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut
                    you could try 'evakuierung' (evacuation), returns 4 pages several apparently taken during WW2, maybe that'll help
                    Yeah done that, there was a few evacuation pics that looked like crete photos of empty beaches with abandoned gear taken by germans.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X