Historian Stephen Ambrose Dies at 66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian Stephen Ambrose Dies at 66

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Stephen E. Ambrose, whose best-selling books made America's aging World War II veterans hometown heroes again, died early Sunday at a Bay St. Louis, Miss., hospital. He was 66.

Ambrose, a longtime smoker, was diagnosed with lung cancer in April.

Family members were with him when he died about 4 a.m., relatives said.

Ambrose spent much of his career as a relatively little known history professor before he burst onto the best-sellers list with his 1994 book "D-Day June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II."

Based in large part on interviews with veterans about their combat experiences, the book recounted the chaotic, bloody beach invasions of Normandy from the American soldier's perspective.

"He was saying, 'There's all this obsession with high command, but the real story is these citizen soldiers who still live in every town and hamlet in the United States,'" said Douglas Brinkley, a former student of Ambrose who followed him as director of the University of New Orleans' Eisenhower Center.
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

I remember him from the British world at war series

Comment

great man that ambrose. He was a true champ. Whos going to run the EC now? And everyone i highly reccomend Citizen Soldiers, which is a classic.
      Doesn't read Al Franken, can't watch Al Jazeera, will attack dumbasses. Anyone but Rumsfeld '04.

Comment

We have truely lost someone special. Ambrose was the voice for that generation and made it so we will never forget their courage. He will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Ball 286
          We have truely lost someone special. Ambrose was the voice for that generation and made it so we will never forget their courage. He will be missed.
          I greatly enjoyed his writings and own several of his books, although some of the writings are of questionable research and not always correct.
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Sorry to hear it. RIP Mr. Ambrose.
            Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Erm... Stephen Ambrose died October 13, 2002.

(Just in case ya don't notice the threads age...)

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Now that you have resurrected all the ancient threads, why not resurrect Ambrose as well?
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X