Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decisive battles in history

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Decisive battles in history

    The thread about your favorite battles gave me the idea for this one. What battles do you think that have been fundamental for world's history?

    A good example, in my opinion, is the annihilation of three Roman legions in Teotoburg in 9 AD. German chief Arminius (or Hermann) succedded in ambushing the Roman Varus. The disaster made the limes (border) go back to the Rhine from the Elbe river. More important: Rome never recovered that piece of land and Germanic tribes were not under the influence of Rome any longer. Maybe romanization of Germans would have prevented the decline of Roman Empire three centuries later changing the whole history of the world.

    If you want to see the geographical effects see http://www.roman-empire.net/maps/emp.../augustus.html actually, everybody interested in Ancient History should visit http://www.roman-empire.net/
    Cual lidian bien, sobre dorado arzón
    Mio Cid Ruy Diaz, el buen lidiador;
    Minaya Alvar Fáñez, que en Zorita mandó;
    Martín Antolínez, el burgalés de pro...!

  • #2
    A Muslim Europe?

    Defeat of the Ottoman Turk fleet at Lepanto 1571 by a Spanish/Venetian fleet possibly saved 'Christian' Europe from this The Ottomans were a major power!

    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~rs143/map6.jpg
    Check out the extent of the Muslim world in 1500! Scary stuff.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ain Jalut (Syria, 1260 AD) is a little known battle in the West, but this was where the largely Egyptian Mamelukes stopped the Mongols, thus saving the Islamic heartlands from the fate of Eastern Europe, Central Asia and China. Had the Mongols won, they might have taken over the remaining populated areas of the Middle East (they already had Iran/Iraq). Although in time they might have succumbed to the superior Islamic culture, in the same way that they did to the Chinese, such an occupation would have had profound effects on the whole of the Middle East/North Africa.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sharpe
        Defeat of the Ottoman Turk fleet at Lepanto 1571 by a Spanish/Venetian fleet possibly saved 'Christian' Europe from this The Ottomans were a major power!

        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~rs143/map6.jpg
        Check out the extent of the Muslim world in 1500! Scary stuff.
        Couldn't have been too powerful if they were beaten by Spaniards and Pirates.

        What type of ships were they using? Was it a question of not being able to match the big man-o-war ships (think thats what they were) the europeans had?
        Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Temujin
          Couldn't have been too powerful if they were beaten by Spaniards and Pirates.

          What type of ships were they using? Was it a question of not being able to match the big man-o-war ships (think thats what they were) the europeans had?

          Both sides used galleys with oars and sails, artillery, archers and muskets(early). Remember it was Muslim scholars that gave 'the West' back its knowledge and history. The Mongols severely weakened their power but they were still a technologically advanced opponent in 1571.

          Comment


          • #6
            Stalingrad. Hitler may have been going to lose the war anyway, but Stalingrad is where the Germans didn't have to lose but doing so ensured their defeat.

            Comment


            • #7
              From a purely militay standpoint, ie changing the way in which battles are fought - Luectra

              Comment


              • #8
                The Milvian Bridge. Europe could well have been a whole lot different if Constantine had lost...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chris Milne
                  The Milvian Bridge. Europe could well have been a whole lot different if Constantine had lost...
                  This battle should be considered one of the most important ever because it secured the place of Constantine as Roman Emperor and thus paved the way for Christianity to be the official religion of the Empire. There is still a Milvian Bridge in Rome. I was there last year but alas did not have time to visit it. Its all built over now anyway to look at the map.
                  http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just thinking about other truly decisive war-winning or history changing battles, and it depends on your viewpoint like most things i suppose. Gettysburg, Hastings, Waterloo...but Trafalgar, the Coral Sea and Midway really stood out for me. The winners won undisputed command of the sea for decades and the defensive, economic and political fruits that go with it. What is it about seapower that has such a lasting impact?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sharpe
                      Just thinking about other truly decisive war-winning or history changing battles, and it depends on your viewpoint like most things i suppose. Gettysburg, Hastings, Waterloo...but Trafalgar, the Coral Sea and Midway really stood out for me. The winners won undisputed command of the sea for decades and the defensive, economic and political fruits that go with it. What is it about seapower that has such a lasting impact?
                      Trade!
                      Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Midway, Moscow '41, Stalingrad, Gettysburg, Yorktown, Dunkirk...
                        Editor-in-Chief
                        GameSquad.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Favorite Battles

                          Tannenburg/ Mansurian Lakes, Vicksburg, Austerlitz; in that order.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Battle of Britain

                            This shelved plans for Operation Sealion. While its success was not garunteed had it been acomplished there would have been many far reaching consequences.

                            The Doolittle Raid. While not actually a battle, the creation of home deffense squadrons by the Jappanese had far reaching effects in the Pacific airwar. Pilots were always a valuable commodity in WWII and especially so for the Jappanese due to their training methods.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BigDog
                              Battle of Britain

                              This shelved plans for Operation Sealion. While its success was not garunteed had it been acomplished there would have been many far reaching consequences.
                              I used to think that winning the Battle of Britain saved western civilisation.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

                                So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X