Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saving private ryan errors

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1114

See the factual errors or plot holes. However it is great film and these errors do not eliminate it, but some are seems a big mistake (e.g. why omaha beach raiders were assigned to save 101st member.
    a brain cell

What a delusion...

I did not notice the absence of interleaved roadwheels on the Tiger/T-34 tank in the last battle (too busy searching for cover I imagine). I was until this day convinced that the special effects team of the movie had somewhat managed to get a hold on a real Tiger (dubious hypothesis) or at least a decent replica

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
      I did not notice the absence of interleaved roadwheels on the Tiger/T-34 tank in the last battle (too busy searching for cover I imagine). I was until this day convinced that the special effects team of the movie had somewhat managed to get a hold on a real Tiger (dubious hypothesis) or at least a decent replica
      For french readers, there's a picture of that fake Tiger tank (the same that was used in SPR) at a military show in Britain in the latest issue of 39/45 Magazine.

Comment

When you consider the level of minutae indicated here, you are stunned.

Well mostly stunned that a person would sit with a magnifying glass and worry to that level of nitpicking.

Which leads me to ponder, just how hostile their magnifying glass would be with a fine piece of crappola like Windtalkers, which was sufficiently crummy the magnifying glass isn't even required.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by LestheSarge9-1
          When you consider the level of minutae indicated here, you are stunned.

Well mostly stunned that a person would sit with a magnifying glass and worry to that level of nitpicking.

Which leads me to ponder, just how hostile their magnifying glass would be with a fine piece of crappola like Windtalkers, which was sufficiently crummy the magnifying glass isn't even required.
          I think the mistake which I mentioned in the first post is a really big one (it is a leak in the foundation of the movie)...

However, it cannot reduce the enjoy...
          a brain cell

Comment

I thought it was based on an anecdote from Ambrose's D-Day book.

Comment

You can also tell that the tank was a T-34 by looking at the tracks when they zoomed in up close for the scene where the sticky bomb explodes and disables the tank. I remember noticing that discrepancy when I first saw the film as I own 2 Tiger models and a T-34 model kit.

In the article:
              Factual error: Most hilarious was the scene in which the german "Tiger" tank moved towards one house. The tank commander stood in the open hatch and gave orders. First: Never would a tank commander in heavy combat stand up in an open hatch.

Dunno about this one, tank commanders in WW2 frequently had to expose themselves in combat even when their own vehicle was under fire as the visibility in a buttoned up WW2 tank was extremely limited, not to mention it was the only way they could man the cuppola MG to deal with any enemy inf nearby lurking in ambush.

Also

Factual error: One American soldier shot into the sight slot on the front of the German "Tiger" tank. This slot was made of a particular glass called "Kinon", at least 15 centimeters thick, and it was almost impossible to break.

I think it would have been alot more accurate if that front opening slit wasn't open at all. If I remember correctly, that slit in front of the driver's seat was closed off by lowering the armoured 'lid' whenever the tank entered combat and the driver found his way around by peering through a forward looking periscope.
              Last edited by Wolfleader; 13 Nov 03, 18:14.
              -----------------------------------
              Sings we a song of wolves.
              Who smells fear and slays the coward.
              Sings we a song of man.
              Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

Hello,

Actually, a detail maniac could compare the engine roar of the Tiger in the movie to this :

http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...iger/tiger.htm
                Open up the two movie links found at the bottom of the page - here are the direct links :
                http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...ger/movie1.avi
                http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...ger/movie2.avi

Delightful sound indeed

Nemo

Comment

I consider myself a very experienced military modeler, so I picked up on the inaccuaracies on the SPR Tiger right off. Having said that, I believe they did a really super job making the vehicle look as realistic as possible. It's by far the best "Tiger" we have seen in a movie yet. Bear in mind there are only 5 or 6 Tiger I's left in the world. None of them are operational except the one in the UK. That one is a very early model Tiger that was captured in North Africa and is undergoing extensive refurnishing.

All things being equal, SPR raised the bar significantly on what a realistic war movie should be. Hopefully, we'll see more stuff like this in the future.
                  Editor-in-Chief
                  GameSquad.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                    I consider myself a very experienced military modeler, so I picked up on the inaccuaracies on the SPR Tiger right off. Having said that, I believe they did a really super job making the vehicle look as realistic as possible. It's by far the best "Tiger" we have seen in a movie yet. Bear in mind there are only 5 or 6 Tiger I's left in the world. None of them are operational except the one in the UK. That one is a very early model Tiger that was captured in North Africa and is undergoing extensive refurnishing.

All things being equal, SPR raised the bar significantly on what a realistic war movie should be. Hopefully, we'll see more stuff like this in the future.
                    The Tiger sure was impressive enough for a fake, the Marders were a shame though, they looked crap and no SS units had any Marders left in Normandy. If you guys remember the Sherman "dressed up" as a Panther in A Bridge too Far well that was a funny sight. Band of Brothers has some very good looking german armors too, including the Tiger seen in SPR, a StuG or two and even a descent Jadgpanther. I can't recall having seen a true or realistic Panther in any war movies though, anyone has?
                    Last edited by Boonierat; 14 Nov 03, 14:43.

Comment

IRT Nemo

Mmmmmmm....the Tamiya 1/16 scale RC tiger tank.

Now I know what to ask the jolly fat guy in the red suit for this Christmas.
                      Sings we a song of man.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfleader
                        IRT Nemo

Wolfleader: who's that nice lady in your avatar?
                        a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfleader
                          IRT Nemo

Hope the fat guy in question does not read this thread : he might find your comments a little harsh

Nemo

Comment

Most Hollywood types dont know the finer details like we do.
                            Even if they did they make movies for the masses not the few thousand or so grogs that can tell the difference between Tiger and T-34 road wheels. 99.999% of the people who watch movies cant tell,so I am happy to live with some minor detail errors just to get to see movies made like Saving Private Ryan.
                            Steve

Comment

IRT laszlo.nemedi

She's from this site.
                              Last edited by Wolfleader; 18 Nov 03, 00:43.
                              Sings we a song of man.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X